Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Views on the first leg of the PA league / Chelsea tributes

james adkin

myspace.com/londontigers
Jul 14, 2001
www.myspace.com
Views on the first leg of the PA league?

Ok guys and girls these are my views of sundays tournament.

Location/Site was good, fields laid out well and the playing surface pretty good so no complains there.

Judging was dreadfull. I simply dont think the marshalls had done a tournament before and so seemed to be a little suprised when the close bunkering calls were asked by them. Someone was speaking about a written exam they all do? This seems pointless considering most of them were not even standing in the right places?

Also why is the event adopting rules such as a centre flag grap with extra points for graping it? Shirts tucked into packs? Both feet behind starting lines that on some fields are not even there?

And no one4ones? These are just asking for trouple on the field

If the NPPL, PSP, NCPA ect are happy with shirts out, flags at bases etc then why does this event need to be different?

Overall it was a good event, decent players area and well laid out. The playing scedule and timings/game starting procedure was the main plus of the event. I just think the organisers
should spend less time on worrying about whether your wearing an orange wrist band and concerntrate on geting the basics like the rules of the game, laid out like the other succesfull leagues

thats my opinions

Dark Warrior

www.paintballscene.co.uk
Nov 28, 2002
www.paintballscene.co.uk

Originally posted by james adkin
Ok guys and girls these are my views of sundays tournament.

Location/Site was good, fields laid out well and the playing surface pretty good so no complains there.

Judging was dreadfull. I simply dont think the marshalls had done a tournament before and so seemed to be a little suprised when the close bunkering calls were asked by them. Someone was speaking about a written exam they all do? This seems pointless considering most of them were not even standing in the right places?

Also why is the event adopting rules such as a centre flag grap with extra points for graping it? Shirts tucked into packs? Both feet behind starting lines that on some fields are not even there?

If the NPPL, PSP, NCPA ect are happy with shirts out, flags at bases etc then why does this event need to be different?

Overall it was a good event, decent players area and well laid out. The playing scedule and timings/game starting procedure was the main plus of the event. I just think the organisers
should spend less time on worrying about whether your wearing an orange wrist band and concerntrate on geting the basics like the rules of the game, laid out like the other succesfull leagues

thats my opinions
1. I agree

2. Usual attack at marshalling - some of these guys are learning and they have to be at the event to learn as there are no proper marshalling seminars for them. They make mistakes just like players do. What you should worry about is if they are consistantly wrong over all six events. We did not have a problem with marshalling even though I questioned a couple of decisions

3a. Same rule as last year
3b. Can't quote on the reason for the shirt rule except it's the rule and when you signed up you agreed to abide by the rules
3c. Next event should have more permanent line markings, You ought to take into account the weather conditions on the days leading up to the event

4. PA have never had one4ones in the rule book, worked OK last year

5. Every tournie you go to has its own specific rules and so does the PA - Again this is the same as last year

6. Making sure that you play against the correct opposition players and making sure that only players can leave the area with equipment is very important.

Flash-Bugout

doin' other stuffs
Jul 6, 2001
need to get hold of Tank for an exit

Judging was dreadfull.
So you'll be gving up your time to judge instead, or at least be giving up some time to help train the judges?

Because that's what they want to do. Centre flag with points for the grab = teams pushing up for the flag = more aggressive play. Shirts tucked in = no more players wearing massive shirts with loads of free material on the front to get bouncers. The starting lines thing is being sorted by the PA - this time things were a little tight by all accounts, what with the fields under a world of snow until wednesday last week

Trouble which is pelalised by minus 50 points, and playing with 6 players for the next game, which in reality is a harsher penalty than a 1-4-1

If Henry Ford was happy with the Model T, why did he develop and evolve new cars? If rugby union is happy with it's rules, why bother having rugby league. It's horses for courses, and I for one love the way the PA is going.

At the end of the day, people can vote with their feet - if they don't like it, they don't have to play, but there must be some reason that the PA has 44 teams, and a waiting list...

Flash-Bugout

doin' other stuffs
Jul 6, 2001
need to get hold of Tank for an exit
Ah but that's where you're wrong Hermitt, I now have no voice left whatsoever.

That sideline shouting thing is (from the spectators point of view) the absolute tits.
Rather than standing in a field for hours on end, you actually feel like you're taking an active part in procedings, whether or not the players are listening/acting on what you're saying.

Didz

????
Dec 13, 2003
Visit site
just my point of view

if most of the players want the tops to hang out, why not let them.
start gates are not the best, but its not going to change. prefer to start infront.but hey thats just me.
and some of the marshelling was crap, but hopefully it will improve
:rolleyes:

i just think that people belive all the hype from the p.a.
dont get me wrong its a good event but its far from perfect.

dam-dangerous

ian - uk chameleons
Jul 6, 2001
sheffield
www.damdangerous.co.uk
i agree with james about the marshalling.
i heard quite a few times through the day that this was the first time this marshal or that marshal had done the job.
granted everyone who marshals has to do it for the first time at some point, but in my opinion they should be as extra bodies on the field while "learning the job"
i have marshaled myself many times and know it is a thankless job but someone has to do it.
a big problem the p.a has with marshaling is that if you marshal for them you cannot play in the p.a for the rest of that season unlike other series of tournements where the organisers actively encourage teams to marshal.
i see that the better and more experienced teams as a rule want to play, even though they "usually make the better marshals"
i personaly had bad calls through the day which were not addressed when broached. i had comments like "we will deal with it after the game" - no good as that can change the whole outcome of a game.
other comments were along the lines of "it's his first time marshaling"
none of that is any good to the "paying customer"
the p.a tournement series as a whole is an exellent concept and no doubting the amount of effort that has gone in to arranging it, but the main problem i can see and which also comes up time and again is the marshaling. this is not to say all the marshals. "delta" - "manchester marshals" & a few others as a whole know the rules and do work hard to keep it as fair as can be humanly expected. lets just hope that the rest of the marshals can get up to this standard.

ian

jonhaley

Jun 24, 2002
N/A
Re: Views on the first leg of the PA league?

Originally posted by Flash-Bugout

Trouble which is pelalised by minus 50 points, and playing with 6 players for the next game, which in reality is a harsher penalty than a 1-4-1
Yes, but only if the judges are prepared to hand out penalties. How many penalties were actually given on Sunday?

In several games I saw, penalties should have been given. No doubt from where I was standing. Particualrly for playing on. Whenever a complaint was made to a marshall, the marshalls simply looked towards the ultimate. It was as if none of them had the courage to make their own mind up.

Even an inexperienced judge must be able to make the call and not be afraid just because there are players shouting in his face. If not, he shoudnt be on the field.

Don't get me wrong, I thought overall it was an excellent event but i agree that this does need improvement.

I had similar concerns last year.

But to get shafted and then complain about it is not how I am planning to spend my money.

If there are no real penalties for cheating, and the marshalls allow themselves to be fooled, then cheat like buggery.

It is true that you are not going to get away with things at the Millenium that you can easily get away with in the PA but you could look at the PA as a rare opportunity to practice cheating with little consequence, so when you get to the big stage you are well practiced at losing those hits...

Super Fly

yeeeeah!
Nov 8, 2004
www.superflytv.com
Re: Views on the first leg of the PA league?

Originally posted by Flash-Bugout
yes but that doesn't help the team they are cheating against does it?
with a 1-4-1 the team are penalised there and the punishment is that they are now another player down and the team they cheated against have an increased chance of winning

where as u give them minus 50 points n 1 player misses next game - the team they play next are at an advantage which will help them get the win

no say the 1st tema they cheated against n the tema they were down on players against are fighting for 1st n 2nd choice - the current rule wud help the 2nd team they play an advantage to take that 1st spot

a bit extreme but u get the idea?

i dont even play the PA so i dunno why im posting, guess im bored of hollyoaks, they dont get their tits out enuff these days

peace