Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Was safety ignored at the World Cup?

Mike Oxbig

Nov 12, 2002
Visit site
Originally posted by shamu
You're right about the problems with the PRO refs. Hopefully they'll get better over time. If I'm going to get a bad call, I'd rather it be from someone who's trying their best and made an honest mistake than from someone who doesn't care and is only there because they have to be.:D
Ok, I will ask you the same thing I asked one of my teamates who feels the same way you do.

Would you rather get fvcked once or twice a tournament by a guy helping his buddy out -OR- get fvcked twenty times or more in a tournament because the refs are oblivious to the rules.

Let me put this another way for you.

Would you rather get butt raped once by a man, or would you rather get butt raped by 20 women with strap-ons.

Either way its gonna hurt, but it will hurt less with the teams reffing.

shamu

Tonight we dine in hell
Apr 17, 2002
Now-Cal
"Would you rather get fvcked once or twice a tournament by a guy helping his buddy out -OR- get fvcked twenty times or more in a tournament because the refs are oblivious to the rules."

Are those my only two choices? :D

I'd honestly rather get it twenty times from someone who's oblivious than once from someone who's helping a buddy. Why? Because the guy who's oblivious gives everyone the same treatment so my chance of winning isn't really affected. The guy who does it to help a buddy affects my chance of winning the game.

Now about those 20 girls with strap-ons.... how much does it cost to just watch?:p

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
"Would you rather get fvcked once or twice a tournament by a guy helping his buddy out -OR- get fvcked twenty times or more in a tournament because the refs are oblivious to the rules."

Are those my only two choices? :D

I'd honestly rather get it twenty times from someone who's oblivious than once from someone who's helping a buddy. Why? Because the guy who's oblivious gives everyone the same treatment so my chance of winning isn't really affected. The guy who does it to help a buddy affects my chance of winning the game.

Now about those 20 girls with strap-ons.... how much does it cost to just watch?:p
That's the problem, there's already too much voyeurism and not enough doing things ourselves. When are some of the oxheaded people out there gonna get it: THERE IS A CHOICE!

Very simply, we just need to put a trained, competent, independent "boss" on every field who has the authority to enforce good, normal reffing and who has zero tolerance for bull****.

What's so hard about that little measure? Could someone enlighten me, starting with you Oxbig. And don't skirt the issue.

Steve

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
There seem to be two totally opposite points of view here. Either the refs have to be completely neutral to the degree that they don't/have never played and therefore aren't very "up" on the rules & don't understand what it's like, or the refs have to "have game". Well for those brilliant pro players out there, believe it or not it's possible to know the rules inside & out, & be a superb ref, & not be a great player!
Some people have been playing and watching for years, but just don't happen to have the necessary skills to be a very good player, or haven't been able to afford to play as often as they would need to get good. This kind of person would have few affiliations as they never reached the heights of full or even significant sponsorship, but at the same time would know the rules and be able to interpret them in the context of the situation.
I started to think about other sports, & just about the only one I could think of where the top refs are ex-international standard competitors was cricket. On the other hand, most refs HAVE taken part in the sport for years before moving to reffing e.g. soccer.
I think we need to look at the middle ground here, to get the best of both worlds.

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Thank you, Liz. You describe me for the moment (for the most part).

Would like to add that I really believe that receptive players at all levels of skills can be trained, can learn the rules and can follow good leadership regarding judging. I even believe that non-player judges can be trained both in theory and by practice to become excellent refs.

Steve

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
[B... the guy who's oblivious gives everyone the same treatment so my chance of winning isn't really affected. ... [/B]
I agree that what OxBIG is saying is ridiculous but I just realize that your statement doesn't really hold up if you think about it. The judges that are oblivious are going to hand the game points over to the teams that cheat the best because they're clueless.

Kinda like when there are too few refs. Two teams that don't cheat and just play PB the way it was designed don't even need refs. But because of human nature and quite a few rotten eggs, we have to have sufficient reffing, otherwise it's like the wild west: the bullies and the crooks win (until the shichinin samurai, Magnificent Seven come along). Anyone who doesn't cheat under such circumstances is either hopelessly naive or just has a steady moral compass (almost none-existent these days).

Whatever degrees people can cheat, many will. That's why we have locks, security systems, security guards, police, military, laws and rules.

Steve

shamu

Tonight we dine in hell
Apr 17, 2002
Now-Cal
"I agree that what OxBIG is saying is ridiculous but I just realize that your statement doesn't really hold up if you think about it. The judges that are oblivious are going to hand the game points over to the teams that cheat the best because they're clueless."

Agreed. I was just chosing from the two options Oxbig gave me
:D