Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Why can't we? or don't we want too?

Lucky

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2004
rochester, UK
I must point a thank you out to Red Ring Inflictor for getting me started on this.
On another thread he pointed out a shot counter thats the size of an AA battery.
http://www.accucounter.com/timedate.htm
Now here's my thing, everyone goes banging on about gun cheats and it's "oh so complicated trying to catch them"!
And the radars etc cost thousands to buy.

Set a 15bps limit, clip the device on, hey presto job done !

Well, i may be missing something here but surely the device in that link could be modified slightly and repackaged into a neat little unit that could be cabletied to your barrel or trigger frame etc, and surely if it was made correctly, it could be made to either sound an alarm on board the gun or remotely trigger a ref's hand held unit?
There maybe some fantastic reason why it wouldn't work and that would be me put well and truly in my place, but i can't think of a reason other than no-one wants to spend any money developing it?
If the various governing bodies and manufacturers etc, clubbed together then the cost would be minimal. Production costs would be minimal, and it would take 20seconds to fit prior to each tournament, i'm also sure that it would be feasable that the unit could be scanned to check it was working at the crono before each game?
So come on then technonerds, why wouldn't this work?

Tricky

Retired Gun Whore
Jun 10, 2005
Past Caring!
www.jerseywarriors.co.uk
The thing with that is that most boards have a shot counter/limiter built in, its just that teams find ways to modify them. All that will happen is people will find ways to modify these to suit their own ends.

The only real way to sort it is to have everybody using the same board, which is something I can't really see happening.

Lucky

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2004
rochester, UK
You've missed my point.
This is an independant unit that would be issued by the organisers at the start of a tourney and collected after the event, you could run whatever board you want with whatever software you want, and quite simply if the device detects faster than 15bps then your knicked mate.
If they were cable tied to the barrel then the authorities could issue them quickly before every game and that way you'd never get the chance to tamper with one
Sound cheaps way to cheap and easy to me.
Can't we think of something more complicated
..................oh yeah we have already :confused:

Tricky

Retired Gun Whore
Jun 10, 2005
Past Caring!
www.jerseywarriors.co.uk
Sounds good in theory, although it depends how it works. It looks like it has to be physically installed into the firearm, If it works using sound detection then just strapping to your barrel wouldn't work, imagine your playing a bunker with another player, it would pick up both guns and register double shot count.

The principle is good but whether it would be solid enough is debateable.

Ion

Killing for NTT
Nov 22, 2003
London
www.andymarch.co.uk
This system would need to be fitted within the marker.

I can't see a particular technical reason why this kind of technology cannot be adapted to suit paintball. I'm not entirly sure exactly how this system works i assume it must work on the retort of the weapon firing rather than any visual form (eg radar chrono) as it is installed within the gun. So some sort of modification would be required to recognise a markers firing signiture or (more likely) act between alongside the microswitch.

This system could be added to markers at not a particularly high cost. It would be unlikey that it would be able to alert marshalls during a game without adding in a lot of tech which adds weight and requires more space. The pinciple though is solid, as data from the markers could be downloaded at the end of a match to ensure that the marker complied with the rules and penalties applied if it did not. I think this is the sort of technology we should be seeing in the higher ranks of the sport where the loss of one game can make a very big different in the prize money stakes.

Just a simple techy's opinion

Gyroscope

Pastor of Muppets
Aug 11, 2002
Colorado
www.4q.cc
The sensors used by Reloader B's don't usually have problems telling your gun from the guy in the bunker with you. And it wouldn't even have to have a counter- just a bright LED that lights up and lets the ref know that the gun is exceeding the gun limits. Something like that could be strapped to the barrel like a barrel condom that doesn't stop balls going through. Maybe make it fit more snugly.

You could use these in place of armbands, which would take care of another pet peeve of mine. In fact, I just became a supporter of this idea.

Lucky

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2004
rochester, UK
Thanks Gyro, i think you see the possibilities behind this system like myself. I'm no egghead and i'm sure someone with a qualification would be needed to sort out the nitty gritty to produce it but to me it seems to easy to be true

Ion

Killing for NTT
Nov 22, 2003
London
www.andymarch.co.uk
Gyro has a point, the marker can only feed at which it is loaded. So something could be built on the already existing tech on the hoppers that would assess the speed at which it is being loaded but again we would return to the point of would everyone have to use the same hopper? Could we get manufactures to agree on a standard? Or would this need to be additional tech provided by tornament organisers?

Anyone want to donate me a reloader B to experiment on :D

Gyroscope

Pastor of Muppets
Aug 11, 2002
Colorado
www.4q.cc
I think you misunderstand what I was saying. I just mean to use the vibration sensor used by Reloader B hoppers in the device. I didn't mean to link it to the hopper itself.

EDIT: I was thinking that this would be something provided by the organizers- something cheaper than the ballistic chronographs used currently in the NXL.

Lucky

Platinum Member
Sep 1, 2004
rochester, UK
Just a little problem tho, if you allow the equipment to be removed from site, then someone's going to hack it and find a cheat system.
By using a method that is fitted quickly on and off the field, like the armband system, it would stop the technology falling into the hands of those sad talentless people than can only compete by cheating:mad: