Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Why do they still allow those staining paints?

murat

Nov 27, 2001
Istanbul - Turkey
Visit site
This maybe little off-topic here, but once again I see that all my pball clothes even the underwear is permanently stained/discolored after Toulouse even after thoroughly washing. Yeah OK, I shouldn't get shot so many times by so many teams, but if you get to play the front without a good protection, it happens..:D Anyway I think all these stains came from a pink paint which I think it is Diablo's Imperial and some blue ones. I don't really give a damn about the stains on my pball gear but it gets really annoying when everything you wear has a permanent pink stain or discolored areas. Besides the cosmetical issue I am sure that anything that leaves a permanent stain on textiles or discolors them is surely not healthy for the nature too. I am not a chemical authority but those chemical indrigients in those paints must be pretty harsh to do such a effect and must be definetely a hazard to the environment.

Anybody knows a thing about such paint what they use in them? I've heard some rumors in the pastthat some paint has had iodine in them. There is also a rule regarding such paint in the rule book. Does it cover those permanently staining/discoloring paints?

markh

Shockwave III
Aug 6, 2001
Bristol
www.katzpaintballteam.co.uk
dont know about the rules, but I hate such staining paint, quite apart from staining clothes and possibly damaging plant life and someboody's nice stadium, getting it on your body is just NASTY !

Last year I got some nasty staining paint (dont know the supplier) on my hand. After about 6 scrubs it still wouldnt all come off, looked like I had been scoulded, finally after taking a swim, the chlorine in the pool removed it. Now if someof that paint got onto somebody's face they would not be happy, especially if that person had to meet customers as part of their job, looking like they had a huge burn on their face. I can imagine that a law suite against the player that shot you, team, or in the event of not being able to prove who did it to you, the event organiser could be liable for allowing such paint to be used.

Ban it, stop producing it.

murat

Nov 27, 2001
Istanbul - Turkey
Visit site
Here is the rule about such paint:

5.4 PROHIBITED EQUIPMENT
5.41 Prohibited equipment includes listening devices, communication devices and any form of electronic surveillance
device, incendiary devices, smoke producing devices, red paint, paint which is toxic or not biodegradable or
indelible and paint which has a shell, fill or both altered or augmented in any way. Teams found using forbidden
paint or carrying forbidden paint in theirs pots or hoppers or with an open box of such paint will have to pay a
fine of 500 €.

I believe that the paint I've described above falls in that category. What are the authorities think about this? Could you guys put your thoughts here?

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
I think one of the main problems with banning this paint might be that it's considered top of the line tournament paint, and is therefore quite expensive. This means that the people who make/sell this paint make more money on a box of this stuff, than they do on a box of 'Crappo Brand'. It is often the same people that organise the big tournaments, so I can see some trouble in banning this paint. Nobody is willing to slaughter a prime milk cow...
Sad, but true...

murat

Nov 27, 2001
Istanbul - Turkey
Visit site
Well, what I don't understand is why this top-of-the line-paint has to be permanently staining/discoloring??? A good paintball should be almost perfectly round, consistent diameter, brittle shell and a thick fill. That's all there is... I just wonder why they use so harsh chemicals (Iodýne or whatever) in their most expensive or so called best paints. "It is hard to wipe" claim is just bull**** as any paint can be wiped easily and the refs can't say a thing about it for the remaining stains during a game because they might as well from a previous game unless they see you get hit and wipe.

IMHO all such paint should be banned for good from tournaments as it is obviously not good for the health, environment, and clothing. Getting permanent stains on your clothing may not be an issue, but it might not be very helpful if the spectators get stained with those paint. We all know how much you try to be carefull you may get stained very easily with pballs when watching a tournament.

Also I for one don't give a $hit who makes those paints they should be banned. I hope the organizers and the rules comitte takes an action against this and enforces it. If we let only the manufacturers rule the paintball then they will take us whichever direction they want and believe this will not be good at the end.

I may not make a big sound of it but if names like Robbo, Niall and other influential figures push it then something could be done.

Matski

SO hot right now
Aug 8, 2001
Hypothetical....obviously

Well im sure that if you guys felt so strongly about this and decided to bring up a lawsuit, the manufacturer would probably drag some super strength industrial washing machine into the court room and prove that their paint is not indelible and can be washed out eventually (I very much doubt its toxic).
These massive company's spend a helluva lot on R&D, RP Scherer 'Evil' brand paint (blue ball with pink fill) was banned from the millennium series (I think) a while ago and the company withdrew it. Not so long ago 'evil' was re-released and still has a super nasty, evil fill which looks like it would stain as much as the last one, but the simple fact is theyve carefully changed the formulae so that its just about washable.

My point is there is no point, as Buddah said, the paint manufacturers are major sponsors of events so organisers want to keep them happy, and their paint probably isnt as indelible as you might think..................1500 washes later and itll be gone!!!:rolleyes:

murat

Nov 27, 2001
Istanbul - Turkey
Visit site
Matski,

I don't know about these paint's toxicity but it doesn't wash out. I've tried it many times and I still have these nasty pink stains on my jerseys, white socks, underwear etc. They simply don't come off, they just fade away after very slightly after each wash. But the worst thing is on darker colored clothing such as JT pants whereas it doesn't leave a stain but it discolors areas even it stuck on it as a spray. Now once again, I'm not the expert but anything that discolors a synthetic textile or stains human skin for a very long time is a hazard to human health and environment.

BTW, Hellfire is a pretty good paint and it doesn't stain or discolor. These so expensive exotic stuff such as Evil or Imperial are the ones which use these harsh chemical in them.

Beaker

Hello again
Jul 9, 2001
Wherever I may roam
imlr.org
Well, I didn't see any staining paint there :confused:

Diablo didn't have any imperial, the Hellfire and Blue inferno mark well but don't stain.

Nelson do do a staining ball same colours as Imperial and Evil but I didn't see any.

There was very litle Scherer there and Severe didn't have their competition paint?

Do you know which paint it was?