Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

X-Ball Europe - The Story So Far

Fair doos

Originally posted by Beaker
Rich,

My comments were directed towards you in that you posted this:

Which suggests you thought of it as a league like S2K2, MM etc etc. Which it wouldn't be, only 6 or so teams across Europe playing it as a showcase event
Well, I don't mean that it will take teams away from these events, though the top teams at any event you are playing at add to the attraction, but rather the media focus (both in and out of paintball) away from the other events, spreading paintball thinner, which I don't consider to be a good thing.

Originally posted by Beaker
As for cost, it isn't as high as you think it would be, especially when you treat it like Chris is saying with individual matches per instance rather than a series of matches within one tournament.
Really? What is a ballpark figure per team, including cost of paint? Its well into the hundreds of pounds right?

Richard

rancid

Mother, is that you?
Re: Re: Some reasons...

Originally posted by supair
Forgive me for saying so Rancid, but you seem a little cynical, bitter and jaded, whats the problem dude? It sounds as though you DONT WANT paintball to be as succesful as NFL, NHL the whole shebang, which is fine if you dont, but dont just keep slamming the ideals that most ballers share.

Matt
Hey Sup. Apart from the bit up above, I agree with your whole post.

I guess I do come across like you said. I don't mean to. But the idea of paintball being family viewing, and compared to NFL et al is so ludicrous that it undermines the rest of the argument/deal/ whatever you call it. And, if I was a corporate sponsor, and you or anyone else came in and pitched me on this basis, I would laugh you out of the room. Hey, I said I wouldn't comment again. So, ignore this.

:)

R

raehl

The plan...

In the immediate future is to run X Ball as part of PSP events, and move to a season format when X Ball can support itself (i.e. get paying spectators as stand-alone events.) Big step there is getting the right facilities.

One problem with X Ball is it doesn't quite fit in a hockey rink.

- Chris

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Re: Re: Re: Some reasons...

Originally posted by rancid
I guess I do come across like you said. I don't mean to. But the idea of paintball being family viewing, and compared to NFL et al is so ludicrous that it undermines the rest of the argument/deal/ whatever you call it. And, if I was a corporate sponsor, and you or anyone else came in and pitched me on this basis, I would laugh you out of the room. Hey, I said I wouldn't comment again. So, ignore this.
All day yesterday I let it go but I can't stop typing . . . can't ignore.
Pumping up pball like the NFL is indeed laughable at this stage but so once upon a time was trying to start a football league when everyone knew America's pastime was baseball which was already established and dominant.
However, if you went in and said pball could have an audience similar to Arena Football you'd be working in a viable ballpark for consideration and development. Arena football is played indoors with fewer players, modified rules and now has--after around 15 years--two leagues, is on TV in local markets and on cable sports and home teams typically draw 2K-10K spectators. Ticket prices are reasonable and player salaries are not huge and it works. Will it ever be as big as the bigtime sports? No, but that's not even close to the point. The point is, with a workable television friendly format and location based teams that can build local support it stands a chance to reach beyond the regular core audience of other players.
And actually the only reason some of the extreme sports over here get air time has less to do with actual participants than it does with the demographics of those participants and the fact that over time those involved have been able to introduce the 'flavor' of the youth-oriented lifestyle to the general public. As pball's participating class skews younger and younger truly intelligent and determined marketing efforts can move pball into the same realm of perception.

rancid

Mother, is that you?
Re: Re: Re: Re: Some reasons...

You let it go? You let it go? Jesus, that was fkin good of you. I am bleedin relieved.

I'll be Coca Cola, you be, you.

Hi come in, would you like a drink?

QUOTE]Originally posted by Baca Loco
Pumping up pball like the NFL is indeed laughable at this stage

So you believe that at some stage it will be?

but so once upon a time was trying to start a football league when everyone knew America's pastime was baseball which was already established and dominant.

You are comparing watching and playing paintball with Soccer? And comparing the future of paintball with the impact soccer has had in the US.

However, if you went in and said pball could have an audience similar to Arena Football you'd be working in a viable ballpark for consideration and development. Arena football is played indoors with fewer players, modified rules and now has--after around 15 years--two leagues, is on TV in local markets and on cable sports and home teams typically draw 2K-10K spectators.

Ok. Paintball will attract 10,000 spectators for a game. How will they know what's going on? Will they appreciate the skill? Will they stick around long enough to understand it? What kind of audiences is it currently pulling?

Ticket prices are reasonable and player salaries are not huge and it works.

These 10,000 people will pay to watch? On a one-off basis? Will the players enjoy this as a fulltime profession?

Will it ever be as big as the bigtime sports? No, but that's not even close to the point. The point is, with a workable television friendly format and location based teams that can build local support it stands a chance to reach beyond the regular core audience of other players.

Alright. Not NFL - I though I'd read summat about family viewing and national stadiums. I'll go with this. What research have you got to suggest that tens of thousands of people across the US will turn out week-in, week out to watch the local team play a sport that if you don't play yourself is impossible to appreciate.

And actually the only reason some of the extreme sports over here get air time has less to do with actual participants than it does with the demographics of those participants and the fact that over time those involved have been able to introduce the 'flavor' of the youth-oriented lifestyle to the general public.

Have you read that on one of our internal memos? Yep. That and the fact that every kid in the country has a skateboard, and within two seconds of reading this can be off down the street on it.... on their own, at no cost and without Mum's permission.

As pball's participating class skews younger and younger truly intelligent and determined marketing efforts can move pball into the same realm of perception. [/QUOTE]

I truly hope so.

So, we can count on your support.

Dream on. (That's me being facetious.)

Thing is baca, I read your posts with the same degree of incredulity as you do mine. But.... as Sup says, I shouldn't be bringing it down.

What is my objective? Well, I think I should be allowed a view, and I think I've posted this view far less than you and yours. Objective? I'm not really sure....

supair

Matt(sweatz) - Ex Swat uk
Jul 9, 2001
Up North, England
www.wardc.co.uk
Originally posted by rancid
if I was a corporate sponsor, and you or anyone else came in and pitched me on this basis, I would laugh you out of the room. Hey, I said I wouldn't comment again. So, ignore this.

Me too, completly agree, but to say it could never happen is just stupid because like baca said, people said that about every bigtime sport. Im saying DONT try and sell it yet, set it up, get a sound base for progression and let it happen naturally, if you build it they will come.... :)

Matt