Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Yeah i can take him

Cook$

Just the tip....
Jul 7, 2001
Championsville
Yo Cook$, the kid wrote the following:-

'back in high school i was told that i had to shave my hair off as it was inappropriate.
in what way would my hair affect my learning!? maybe you can explain that one'?

...which to me, suggets his final question in asking for an explanation as to how the imposition would affect this learning ability is kinda questioning the reason behind the rule as against the right to rule impose one.

I am 100% sympatehtic with your plight when dealing with kids, I really am mate and personally, I would last about 5 minutes if I was working as a teacher in a school these days ... I was lucky enough to teach in an environment where the kids had elected to go for reasons of catching up or indeed because they weren't taught fast enough at school.

This was at an extra-tuition college outside of school hours primarily for kids already at school.
I just couldn't handle the disrespect and ignorance some of these kids exhibit.
I think I'd have to injure a few to get my point across .. which I don't think goes down too well with any of the education overseeing committees :)

As for Draconian?
I didn't mean to suggest I thought it was Draconian, I don't, I think it's wholly appropriate and necessary; I was suggesting it was Draconian from the kid's point of view [check out the 'seemingly' placed in front mate] which was probably a bad thing to do seeing as most kids wouldn't even know what Draconian meant anyway :)

I saw it differently. I thought the first point was him questioning why he should follow the rules, rather than why there was a rule in place.

Secondly, I thought it was you calling the rules Draconian rather than saying it from a kid's point of view.

Either way, I think we came up with similar answers :)

As far as kids not understanding what Draconian means, I really have to watch what I say to them sometimes, especially when I am shouting at them. I struggle to dumb things down in scenarios like that. I forget that they probably don't understand words like Sanctions, and Obnoxious. :)

CraigofScotland

Naked fun time
Oct 4, 2009
Glasgow, Scotland
What do you teach cooks? Rider teaches Chemistry and you hear some horror stories . . . kids are a nightmare . . I used to visit schools giving talks on merchant navy careers, that was bad enough, i couldnt imagine having to deal with them day in, day out.

Cook$

Just the tip....
Jul 7, 2001
Championsville
I'm an in house supply teacher, so I do everything. Not strictly teaching, more delivering lessons. That means I don't have to do any planning, but means I sometimes have to deliver lessons I'm not 100% comfortable with (for example, I've been teaching Welsh all morning). I have the same amount of contact time with the kids, but don't see the same groups regularly so it can be hard to forge relationships and in some case, earn respect.

There are the odd moments tho, when you get to teach something you love, and the kids appreciate it. It's a good job, just frustrating sometimes. I'm hoping that someday they'll realise that the teachers were right. But I'll never get to feel vindicated, which is again frustrating.

I could seriously write a book with some of the crap they come out with. At the end of a yr11 revision lesson on Tues I played RE hangman as a plenary. A girl was struggling to think of a letter and her friend shouts "C'mon, there's only 27 to choose from..." Turns out the majority of the class didn't know how many letters were in the alphabet.

Reactions: Biscuit and Dskize

Ali

gunnin down fools in style
Jun 23, 2007
huddersfield
Cook$, I think he's questioning as to why there has to be a dress code rather than whether or not someone is able to impose one ..and I think it's a legitimate question actually otherwise you just breed contempt borne out of a slavish adherence to a seemingly Draconian set of rules.
i wasnt questioning as to why there has to be a dress code, i fully understand why there is dress code and respect it.
In the "dress code" for my secondary school it said nothing about hair style, it did say about dying your hair bright colours etc, which is fair enough..
admittedly my hair was/is rather big...
they wernt fussed about piercings, people there with lips, tongues, necks pierced and so on and they were fine with it yet i had to cut my hair....

right enough of that, sounds extremely pathetic ranting about having to cut my hair at school but mehh, was just saying.

now back on topic :)

Ali

gunnin down fools in style
Jun 23, 2007
huddersfield
I saw it differently. I thought the first point was him questioning why he should follow the rules, rather than why there was a rule in place.

i wasnt questioning why i should follow the rules either cooks, i was simply questioning in what way my hair affected the way i learned or the way others did..

Cook$

Just the tip....
Jul 7, 2001
Championsville
i wasnt questioning as to why there has to be a dress code, i fully understand why there is dress code and respect it.
In the "dress code" for my secondary school it said nothing about hair style, it did say about dying your hair bright colours etc, which is fair enough..
admittedly my hair was/is rather big...
they wernt fussed about piercings, people there with lips, tongues, necks pierced and so on and they were fine with it yet i had to cut my hair....

right enough of that, sounds extremely pathetic ranting about having to cut my hair at school but mehh, was just saying.

now back on topic :)
To be honest, in that situation where they didn't question piercings etc I suppose I would've had a whine about having to cut my hair too.

It's one of them things. It doesn't affect your learning in a direct sense, it just singles you out as somebody who doesn't follow the rules. But in your case, the rules seemed to be pretty much bolloxed.

Missy-Q

300lb of Chocolate Love
Jul 31, 2007
Harlem, NY
Hey Cooks,
Got Q for you,
If a known bully at the school was getting a kicking by a couple of lads he had bullied in the past, on school premises, would you rush in to break it up and make sure disciplinary action was taken, or would you pretend you couldn't see it, and move on, knowing that justice was served?

Cook$

Just the tip....
Jul 7, 2001
Championsville
Hey Cooks,
Got Q for you,
If a known bully at the school was getting a kicking by a couple of lads he had bullied in the past, on school premises, would you rush in to break it up and make sure disciplinary action was taken, or would you pretend you couldn't see it, and move on, knowing that justice was served?
I'd take a sloooooooooow walk over and break it up.
I'd have to make sure disciplinary action was taken, but would make damn sure that the circumstances were known.