The Home Of European Paintball

Air leaking from reg grub screws

WildWayz

The Moose God
Dec 19, 2004
Batley, Near Leeds
paintball.moose-shack.com
Hi guys

I had about 2500psi left in my bottle, so I thought i'd dry fire the rest out to help break my Mini's spring in.

When it got to about 500psi, I noticed a hissing from the bottle's Ninja reg. Air was coming out of both grub screws and the reg was extremely cold!

Is this normal? Or have I somehow killed something?

It was used at YPC at the weekend with no issues (put 4000 balls through it)

Cheers!

Tom Allen

TFP
Jul 4, 2003
Cardiff
SOME regs can behave strangely when you get below their preset value, when you next fill put about 1000psi in it and see if it holds air. Fire the marker a bit to see that the reg is ok, if all is fine fill it up.

Evil Rich

Platinum Member Lifetime PMGWC #101
May 22, 2008
Northumberland
Is the bonnet screwed down properly?

Normally with Ninja regs you get a small screw in 'lever,' remove the grub screws, screw in the 'lever' all the way then back out a turn and then use this to mak esure the bonnet is properly seated and screwed all the way down.

Remove the 'lever' a replace the grub screws making sure they are tight but not over tightened.

Of coursemake sure the bottle is empty and if you don't know what you're doing, LEAVE IT!

WildWayz

The Moose God
Dec 19, 2004
Batley, Near Leeds
paintball.moose-shack.com
SOME regs can behave strangely when you get below their preset value, when you next fill put about 1000psi in it and see if it holds air. Fire the marker a bit to see that the reg is ok, if all is fine fill it up.

Thanks Tom - will give that a go. Bummer is, the next event I am going to is District 10 - would be a bummer if the reg was dead :/ I guess BZ will be there, and if so they should swap it out... will call them on Monday to get their advice.

Rich - not gonna fiddle with it - last thing I want to do is do something half arsed and risk myself or other's lifes over something like this!

frenchy2475

I have quit...
Jun 17, 2009
Wiltshire
Don't worry about it when both of my ninja regs get a fair bit below 500 they leak air sometimes. Thinking about it now that they seemed to do it when they were new. Maybe the orings bed in the more it gets used so they stop leaking.

Gadget

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Essex, UK
I had exactly the same issue with my Ninja reg when I dumped the contents of a bottle quickly and froze it down - I think it was the large o-ring that seals the bonnet freezing and letting air past. Leak vanished once the reg had warmed up again and I've not had it since.