Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Art

Cook$

Just the tip....
Jul 7, 2001
Championsville
Let's have a brain box discussion where noone can be wrong.....

What in your opinion constitutes art? Can people get away with slapping paint on walls, or do they have to paint Mona Lisas to make people think what they are doing is valid? And if so, why so?

C'mon, I know you all have opinions about religion/physics/racism, but let's see your artistic sides...

Bon

Timmy Nerd
Feb 22, 2006
Birmingham
Let's have a brain box discussion where noone can be wrong.....

What in your opinion constitutes art? Can people get away with slapping paint on walls, or do they have to paint Mona Lisas to make people think what they are doing is valid? And if so, why so?

C'mon, I know you all have opinions about religion/physics/racism, but let's see your artistic sides...

For me its simple. Anything asthetically pleasing can be classed as art. What is pleasing however, is a matter of opinion.

I very much like the spray painters you see when you go on holiday doing their abstract peices in the streets which they sell for next to nothing.

Cook$

Just the tip....
Jul 7, 2001
Championsville
For me its simple. Anything asthetically pleasing can be classed as art. What is pleasing however, is a matter of opinion.
What about (top of my head) HR Giger? Not particularly beautifully aesthetic pieces, but technically brilliant. Where does that fall?

Vox900

Loki
Sep 22, 2008
Cambridge
I agree with Bon, and I like Banksy, which I find somewhat aesthetically pleasing as well as thought provoking, humours and political...

Bambulus

Wreckballer - PMGWC#2
Nov 13, 2008
that special place.
www.leekspin.com
I think even things that aren't aesthetically pleasing can be considered art, as long as it is meaningful and/or has an interesting history or background.

The problem comes from the fact there are so many different forms of art that classification is an issue and disagreements arise as to what constitutes art (No duh, it's the point of the thread :rolleyes:).

For me, personally, anything with originality, flair, skill, meaning and history is artwork. I've taken a huge liking to Banksy, who was just an anonymous grafiti artist, and yet his work has more meaning than some of the things I've seen in galleries.

nickphillipps

Jan 11, 2009
I think anything can be considered art... for instance a car. Its just a different medium.

With regards to the paint splatters on a canvas, i believe this is still art and people may really love it but it doesnt require much talent or skill.

Then there is some ugly-arsed stuff which require a huge amount of talent and skill which people may enjoy for purely the technical side of it.

Art is one of those thngs which can be as lazy and sloppy as you like, but it can also be as highly complex and thought provoking as you like.

On that note i think this topic is gonna go for on a while....

Bon

Timmy Nerd
Feb 22, 2006
Birmingham
What about (top of my head) HR Giger? Not particularly beautifully aesthetic pieces, but technically brilliant. Where does that fall?

Very hard to explain it. His stuff is most definately art (and some of the most inspirational imo, I was infact going to get my first tattoo based off some of his work) But yes I would say it is aesthetically pleasing.

Maybe I should change my original comment to aesthetically stimulating. But even then it isn't correct in the sense that I don't think art can be defined as such.

The whole concept behind discussing "what is art" is almost limitless, as one mans trash bin could be another mans mona-lisa.

Mactoshdog

LIKES RED
Oct 12, 2008
North East, Sunderland
basicly, as long as it isnt a 3 year old throwing paint onto a pice of paper im ok with it.

unless its one of these stupid "modern sculptures" i went to the baltic (<sp?) a few months ago, there was a framed moving picture, of what looked like a dead donkey, with the grass moving. i dont care what anyone says, this was just disturbing. there were actualy small children looking at it, asking if it was dead or asleep!!

sumo89

Platinum Member
May 26, 2005
LANDAN
www.myspace.com
With regards to the paint splatters on a canvas, i believe this is still art and people may really love it but it doesnt require much talent or skill.
I disagree with you here. Every good abstract/expressionist/whatever artist is very talented. Otherwise anyone could do it, and believe me they can't. Although I am slightly biased as my art has mainly centered around expressionism and colourism and my art teacher was taught by Hodgkin.