Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Avalanche Cheating?

Originally posted by rancid
Filming of tournies... but not in such a way that could be used for video evidence, think of the number of cameras required to tell if player a shot b before player c shot a? It'd cost a bleedin fortune, and where's the incentive?
Um... get Paintball into the mainstream? Pro meaning pro like in other sports with sallaries n stuff? Big money for all concerned? That sounds like an incentive to me!

And to tell if a player continued to pay after a hit you need a picture of him playing... with a hit. To see if a player bunkered a palyer with a hit on the leg... you need a picture of a man bunkering someone with a hit on his leg.

You don't need to be able to put togehter an accuract esecond by second account of the game, you just need to establish that a player didn't walk when he was hit.

wiping and so on need not be the focus for cameras, after all, just there as a deterant, of course if someone is caught on camera wiping...:mad:

It's not as pie in the sky as y'all apear to thing

Richard

rancid

Mother, is that you?
I meant what is the incentive for the promoters?

I don't see how it follows that swamping the field with cameras = big time and salaries. Where's this money coming from? Who's paying these salaries?

Why should promoters fork out tens of thousands of extra dollars to tell if a guy was hit before he went into the bunker.. you can get an extra marshal for a tenner.

This sport relies on certain people making a large wedge. Putting cameras on the field, in my opinion, would result in the exact opposite of what you are saying. It would inhibit the development.... cos not only would it reduce margins, it could lead to Jerry Braun having to ban four top teams or so from his event.... it would collapse. There's more to this than having clean players. It's about pounds, shillings, pence and politics.

Unfortunately, I think it is pie in the sky... well at least for the time being.:)

acsik

Sep 18, 2001
Hungary
Visit site
Umm rancid

1. Get Consumer Electronics sponsors!
2. I pay 1000€ registering fee for my team @ a milleneum event
now I think Im not alone with this soo the cameras can be bought.

peace

Money = cameras = money

Ok the logic(?) with the cameras = money thing is as follows:

If games are filmed and cheaters named, shamed and punished, then paintball will start to become a sport that can be taken seriously by the media, after all a sport whose top teams rely on cheating is not a sport that can be televised is it, as soon as people see that its all about cheating better that the other team they'll go back to watching cartoons!

With your nightmare scenario that the top pros do not wise-up to the fact that the spotlight is on them and continue to cheat. Well then they are penailised, and other, better players become the top, or they recover themselves and learn to play top level paintball without cheating.

Note that I'm calling for a couple of cameras not hundreds, too much information would make life really hard for the off field umpires.

I will be very suprised to see paintball leagues on TV etc for very long if the blatant cheating that some poeple describe continues unchecked (I wouldn't watch it, and I love paintball); people will quickly tire of watching people play on and wipe themselves to trophies.

And of course if you can get companies to suply the judging equipment in return for having their logo slashed across it (think wimbledon etc) then that becomes realtively cheap.

It is true that filming games doesn't automatically mean pro leagues and TV broadcasting etc, but it will help the sport to become more marketable

Richard