Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Bigg Hassle over nothing?

OhhhNooo

Emperor Of Evil
Picture this,

I just formed a new team and we named ourselves "Italian Stunna's" and we went to a local tournament and were forced to change our name!. The owner said our name was not Politically correct and might make other people uncomfortable. I said we are proud to be Italian and thats why we named our team this name. Again he says if you dont change your name I will be force to remove you from the field. Of course a verbal fight occurs and we were BANNED from the field!! is this crazy? or is a name like that going to make people uncomfortable?

Acidd_UK

Oct 12, 2001
York
Visit site
I don't understand. Why would Italian Stunna's make people uncomfortable? I would understand 'Bin Laden's Boyos' or 'Anthax Terror' but come on? Am I missing something (besides sobriety)

Tom

Tyger

Old School, New Tricks
If you live in the states :

Take the field owner to court for infringing on your rights to free spech. Sue for, among other things, the cost of the tournamet, lodging, gas, and defamation of character. First ammendment rights on the line, a lawsuit will sober his ass up.

(And, yes, I'm serious.)

-Tyg

Tyger

Old School, New Tricks
Well, let's look at the circumstances.

Team travels to event as "Italian Stunnas". And I can't think of anything that it could possibly be in a derogatory way. (It's not like they called themselves "Maffioso Local 151", or used nasty words...)

Team is told "Change your name for reasons of political correctness."

Team says "No."

Field owner says "Fine. Leave."

The team, not just one guy, but the TEAM, is out gas money. It wasn't said if they got ther entrance fees back or not, if not they're out that. They probably bought paint, they're out that. Meals, travel expenses, and so on is also gone.

The field owner turned them away over their name. The field owner made this choice, even in the heat of the moment, on his own. It's a violation of the "Freedom of Speech" clause in the first ammendment. (Arguably, freedom of speech doesn't give you the right to yell "MOVIE!" in a crowded firehouse. Or is it hte other way 'round?)

A team is out money becasue a field owner didn't like the team name. It's CLEARLY wrong to discriminate against a team for their name when it's not racist, derogatory, or otherwise clearly offensive. In a nation where we have sport teams named the "Indians", "Redskins", "Senators", "Browns", "Seminoles", "Fighting Illini", and many other names that are based on specific groups of people, "Itallian Stunnas" isn't out of line.

If PGI made a team called "The Snobby Englishmen" and were turned away from, say, the World Cup because the name was offensive, believe me Robbo would rip 'em a new one. Alternatively, if we made a team of all the 'States PGI writers and called it "The Colonists" and played at Leeds or Tolluse and got turned away, you'd have a lot of pissed off yanks to deal with.

It's not like we're suing McDonalds becasue the coffee served to us was hot, we spilled it in our lap, and weren't WARNED it was hot. (No joke. Lady sued Mac & Dons and won, based on that defense...)

-Tyger