Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Budget vs quality (marker package)

larsjorgen

Apr 23, 2013
I did read the sticky, but I didn't get any wiser.

I'm planning on starting a paintball business and that means I will have to purchase 20+ paintball marker (packages?). I would assume that most people don't care that much about the quality of the gun as long as it doesn't jam, break the balls etc., so I'm not planning on picking from the top shelf, but it shouldn't be crap that breaks every time it's being used either.

So what do you recommend? I've been thinking about the Tippmann 98, since it seems to be good quality for an ok price. What do you think?

Since I'm going to buy so much gear the price is of essence, so since I know so little about this, what better place to ask questions than here. :)

I should add that I run a number of businesses, so I'm a businessman first and rec player second. Or, paintball is pretty far down to list, to be honest, but it will probably climb as soon as the business is up and running.

larsjorgen

Apr 23, 2013
How is the gog in quality compared to the 98 custom?

I forgot in the first post that if I'm going to buy packages it must be for air not co2.

Care_Bears

Bluey .. ... ...Teams :- Care Bears UK
Jul 7, 2007
Wiltshire
Tippmann 98`s are a good solid gun that does see the wear and tear of the customers that play. but every now and then maybe a feedneck falls off or a barrel gets lost, unknowingly, in the field ,and of course they DO go down from time to time, so it`s wise to carry spares and of course a good bag of "O" rings to drop into where the bottle feeds either Co2 or Air, It`s also a good Idea to go to a place such as ( the top of this page ) LIPS , to go there to get a hands on learning how to strip and put together, speak to either Jon or Chris, they will put you right !! you must decide whether to fix your hoppers to the gun so the customers don`t mess around with them , making you fill the hoppers yourself for the customers or like a lot of sites , make the customer responsible for the hopper filled with their own paint each time they go out, this way they have to fiddle with the gun to put the hoppers on each time, the choice is yours ?? the guns will need to be cleaned ( usually the barrels with bunged up paintballs ) during and after the playing time along with the hoppers and of course the masks, you say Paintball is way down the list for you to get involved, I can tell you that I run several sites , and every one of them takes ALL of my effort being involved,
I will say that if you use Co2 , then be prepared for the Macro lines and elbo`s to crack or split as Co2 is basicly freezing them to death, which means time to repair them,

Reactions: larsjorgen

powie

Apr 25, 2003
oldham
the site where i work uses the opus spider .50 cal. solid gun, easy to maintain and cheap to buy, 12oz air bottles are good for 300-400 shots on .50cal so cheap to buy and light ( good for kids).

plus going the 50 cal route your paint is cheaper on shipping costs etc.. = more profit

larsjorgen

Apr 23, 2013
Last edited:

powie

Apr 25, 2003
oldham
yes, that is the one we use.

as for vertical feed on them i instruct them (customers) to place bottle on shoulder then cross gun over face and look down barrel, its angles the hopper over similar to if it was an angled feed. the guns will feed paint like this no probs at all. you can look down center with an eye either side and the feed tube almost disapeers, but i prefer angling it over.

larsjorgen

Apr 23, 2013
One more thing - how many balls should one tank be able to shoot? I found an offer where I get a package with an Empire ER3 but I have no idea if it's any good (and silly to consider other brands than those you have recommended, I know), but the tank is only good for 200 shots. Is that normal or on the lower side?

Last edited:

RobbyT

I like potatoes
Jan 3, 2013
Chelmsford
the empire er3 is a solid but basic little gun... i have used and had one before.. they are cheap but for a begginer they are perfect.. also as a back-up mechanical marker they are brilliant.. thet are styled like a tourney gun, but are fully mechanical so are out of the legue with other tourney players.. if you sold them i would aim at the scenario players.

I would also concider tippmann A5s... a bit more pricey.. but they are brilliant!.. easy to mod to anything.. reliable.. runs on air.. and bomb proof.. i dropped mine out of a second floor window nd it still worked flawlessly... they are simple annd cheap to fix in the very unlikely event they go wrong.. great for all level players!!