Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Calling all Nations Cup X-Ball commissioners

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Hey, Steve. Saw you lurking, my friend. C'mon, give us the scoop. What's up with Nation's Cup? Were the teams playin' in the dark, more or less, on Friday? Wass'up with the buy the hundred jerseys or else? You've seen the questions. :D We'll be kind. I promise. ;)

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Originally posted by Baca Loco
Hey, Steve. Saw you lurking, my friend. C'mon, give us the scoop. What's up with Nation's Cup? Were the teams playin' in the dark, more or less, on Friday? Wass'up with the buy the hundred jerseys or else? You've seen the questions. :D We'll be kind. I promise. ;)
The jersey issue is a matter between Millennium and the national teams.

Rescheduling of the two missed games (that were cancelled because of a very delayed 7-player schedule) will be announced as soon as some things get sorted out about when and how.

Lord willing and if the creek don't rise we should have a perfect X-ball event at Max Masters in Bitburg, Germany.

Concerning playing in the dark, the two X-ball games were played under similar conditions as most football and baseball games. Didn't seem dark to me or anyone else I talked to.

The crowd, which seemed to me to be non-PB spectators, sure looked and sounded enthusiastic and excited. The games seemed to work out pretty well even though there were a few glitches that got quickly sorted out.

Any more questions?

Steve

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Originally posted by Wadidiz
1--The jersey issue is a matter between Millennium and the national teams.

2--Concerning playing in the dark, the two X-ball games were played under similar conditions as most football and baseball games. Didn't seem dark to me or anyone else I talked to.

3--The crowd, which seemed to me to be non-PB spectators, sure looked and sounded enthusiastic and excited. The games seemed to work out pretty well even though there were a few glitches that got quickly sorted out.

4--Any more questions?

Steve
1--Guess again. it's another public relations boondoggle in the making.
2--So you're saying there was a few million watts of candle power illuminating the field?
3--Estimate on "crowd" size and weather conditions during match?
4--Were you wearing your Wellies? :)

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Re: Re: Calling all Nations Cup X-Ball commissioners

1--Guess again. it's another public relations boondoggle in the making.
2--So you're saying there was a few million watts of candle power illuminating the field?
3--Estimate on "crowd" size and weather conditions during match?
4--Were you wearing your Wellies? :)
1. The team captains can publish what they want, obviously. Don't mean I'm gonna.

2. Didn't take my illumination measuring device.

3. I'm not good at estimating crowd size, maybe someone else who was less involved in running the game can help us out here. The weather was cloudy but not rainy.

4. Don't know what Wellies are.

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Re: Re: Re: Calling all Nations Cup X-Ball commissioners

Originally posted by Wadidiz
1. The team captains can publish what they want, obviously. Don't mean I'm gonna.

2. Didn't take my illumination measuring device.

3. I'm not good at estimating crowd size, maybe someone else who was less involved in running the game can help us out here. The weather was cloudy but not rainy.

4. Don't know what Wellies are.
Steve
If you're gonna play the political game you gonna need some practice. ;) :D

PS--Wellies. Some good mud-slogging boots, if I'm not mistaken. :)

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Re: Re: Re: Re: Calling all Nations Cup X-Ball commissioners

Steve
If you're gonna play the political game you gonna need some practice. ;) :D

PS--Wellies. Some good mud-slogging boots, if I'm not mistaken. :)
I resemble that remark.

I can tell you that the taxi drivers and hotel people weren't so happy to see us.

Steve

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
I am gonna make a few fone calls to gather some first hand info before I answer what Steve just wrote but be assured when I do, I will have no agenda but the truth......

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Steve,
I ain't gonna pile on but here's the observations of a participant.
Cold, wet, half the field dark, virtually impossible to see your paint or the other guy's paint. Something less than ideal though clearly alot of the details weren't in your control but then that will remain true and if the Mil event being piggy-backed isn't up to par neither will the Nation's Cup matches.
And last I heard Team USA ain't having anything to do with any jerseys as they have their own Team USA uniforms including pants--which look darn good, btw. (But that ain't gospel--just what I heard.)

R

raehl

Good event promotion...

Is not running an event well when things are in your control.

It's running an event well despite all those things not in your control that go wrong.

I think you need an agreement that says X Ball teams get their field at a certain time whether the 7-man is done or not. I think you need to write down what teams are expected to do and pay and do it in advance.

I think you need to run X Ball as a separate entity and know exactly what resources are being devoted to it and exactly what it needs to give for those resources. These teams apparently paid $3k euros each - where did that money go? Did it just get sucked into millenium (bad) or is there a separate X Ball fund somewhere?

And... either post here or don't. This "I'm just here to not say anything" stuff is gonna get you nothing but trouble.

I do have to confess to being tremendously amused at how well you tout the party line after the considerable amount of criticism you've previously directed at me for pointing out how much of a miracle it is that stuff goes right ggiven the amount of funds devoted to it.

- Chris

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Steve,
I ain't gonna pile on but here's the observations of a participant.
Cold, wet, half the field dark, virtually impossible to see your paint or the other guy's paint. Something less than ideal though clearly alot of the details weren't in your control but then that will remain true and if the Mil event being piggy-backed isn't up to par neither will the Nation's Cup matches.
And last I heard Team USA ain't having anything to do with any jerseys as they have their own Team USA uniforms including pants--which look darn good, btw. (But that ain't gospel--just what I heard.)
Cold, wet: Nothin' any of us mortals can do about that unless someone has €30,000 to move the whole shooting match indoors.

Half the field dark: I never heard any complaints about darkness while I was there. I did hear a lot of people say the two games themselves were great. The lighting was good enough that I could see paint flying. I even helped a marshall from the sidelines by calling for a penalty for playing on.

Something less than ideal: definitely. There were a whole lot of things that fell short for various reasons and I have to assume responsibility for it because that is my job. I could go into a lot of detail but I won't. Suffice it to say that everyone learned a lot, especially me, and I have total confidence that the next Millennium X-ball games will be almost perfect. I have already gone over everything in much detail with Manfred (for the upcoming German event) and with Adrian (for the Amsterdam event). One thing I can't change is the fact that we have to run evening events because the team players also play 7-player.

Concerning the jerseys: I will repeat, I will direct my communication to the teams involved first before I post anything here. I expect to send clarifying bulletins to the team captains shortly because I want everything to be 100% clear in black and white.

Other BS: If someone states that I don't know about my business or otherwise misquotes me then my claws will come out and I may or may not defend myself publicly. But I'm not going to go into details with people who weren't there or aren't directly involved about what I or someone else said at some time or another. Curious? Need to know? Send me an e-mail or call me.

Chris,

What I and others on this board said in the past was that good quality events CAN be put on in the USA as it has been done in Europe. You tended to say it couldn't. I was involved in an event in the US that proved we were right. I never said that a bad event couldn't happen under the auspices of Millennium.

I have to accept criticism for any and all shortcomings of the events I am responsible for. Regardless of whether or not some situations (e.g. weather) were beyond my control. The buck stops here so throw all the mud you want. After this past weekend I've learned to live with it.

Steve