Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Camera Advice

Big Mac

My Custom User Title
Oct 19, 2006
York
After a little bit of help in choosing a new camera.

At present I am using just a standard point and shoot but I am looking for something more, originally I was wanting to make the switch to DSLR but having done a bit of research, I found these compact system cameras. These sound ideal to me, they offer the portability of a traditional compact but have the DSLR functionality that I think I'm after, e.g. changeable lenses, filters etc

I have a budget of around £400 but it could be quite flexible. So any help would be greatly appreciated. At the moment, the Panasonic Lumix series looks like a good option.

Currently got my eye on the GF3 or the G3 - But would like some advice from those who are more knowledgeable than me. Are they any good? What others should I look at? Are the lenses available for these cameras any good and are there many lens options?

Any help no matter how small is greatly appreciated.

Donk

Gorrilaz
May 11, 2010
Clacton-on-sea
I think you may be dissapointed if you spend that sort of money but don't get a dslr I use an "Entry level" dlsr (nikkon d3000) & it is brilliant. its cheap compared to the Cannons of the pro's but has all the gadgets you need but it also has an idiot guide built in that you can view on the lcd display if something is not coming out how you want it
oh & a free photo suite with it

Big Mac

My Custom User Title
Oct 19, 2006
York
I get what you're saying, but the main thing about these compact system thingys is that portability yet still retaining a large functionality of the DSLR. Doing a lot of mountain biking, and only having very limited space in my small backpack means it's more practical.

Originally I was looking at the Canon EOS 550 but I know if I had something that bulky it's not just something you can take out with you on a whim. One of these with a "pancake" lens job means it is almost pocketable. (jacket at least)

jlylee007

Here to play the beautiful game.
Nov 23, 2009
use to have a few slrs but I now have a lumix tz20. The pics I got from my Nikon D70 were amazing and unless you are willing to spend the time setting up the camera and use its funtionality to its full potential then there is really no point in owning a slr and would be better off on a point and shoot.

As for the lenses, tri pods, lens filters, various camera bags. The cost does add up. In my opinion ask yourself are you going to use the camera features to its full potentail? if yes then I would recommend getting a 15mm-200mm lens and a slr body. The lens will give you the full range of zoom without having to change lenses all the time. I had a sigma lens for my nikon and it worked well.

The main reason why i got rid of my kit was size and set up time. If you are wanting a camera for action sports I would recommend a lumix ft3, its waterproof, impact proof from1.5 meters and also takes 1080 video which low budget slrs dont do. Nikon also do a similar camera which is good.

Last edited:

Bambulus

Wreckballer - PMGWC#2
Nov 13, 2008
that special place.
www.leekspin.com
You've done your research
:)

There's a thread in the Plat Club very similar to this.

Quite frankly, from the research I did before going for the cheaper Bridge route, my money would be on the Pana G3. I'm a big fan of m4/3 and what it can do; it's uber practical and, with the right glass, can produce stunning results. There's a great selection of very practical lenses, it's small and convenient, and the 2x mm conversion factor can give you amazing reach with something like the Pana 45-200.

Best bet would be to head to jessops and try them both out for yourself, but I know which option I'd take. ;)

Big Mac

My Custom User Title
Oct 19, 2006
York
Thanks for all the replies so far.

My next question is this, my aim with it is a do it all type camera, so do I need such a "fancy" camera. I'm aiming to do a range of things with it. I want everything from stunning landscapes to almost telephoto style for motorsport stuff. Now I'm not sure whether it's just I've got an outdated point and shoot, but from what I've experienced, it's not bad at either, but it's not great at either. Motorsport is too far away really, and the landscapes just seem to lack the crispness and detail I've seen in photos from more advanced cameras.

Another thing is "long exposures" I've got a love for them, and the panasonics 60 second shutter time is more than ample for me, even the sony nex's 30 would be enough. But can modern point and shoot do this, mine certainly can't. Is this something a bridge camera could do, but then I revert back to my previous paragraph, I want something with the capability to do it all, can a camera that cannot change lenses do the wide range of things I want my camera to do?

I know the lenses are going to be expensive but even when packed away in a bag it's still a hell of a lot more portable than the bulky DSLR option.

EDIT: Just seen the Panasonic DMC-GX1 - which seems to tick even more boxes - It has a built in flash, has a wider range of exposure compensation, quicker continuous drive than the gf3 though less than the Sony NEX - but is the gx1 therefore worth the extra expense over the gf3 - what else makes it "better"?

Quite honestly, couldn't give a crap about filming from them.

Last edited:

Bambulus

Wreckballer - PMGWC#2
Nov 13, 2008
that special place.
www.leekspin.com
Thanks for all the replies so far.

My next question is this, my aim with it is a do it all type camera, so do I need such a "fancy" camera. I'm aiming to do a range of things with it. I want everything from stunning landscapes to almost telephoto style for motorsport stuff. Now I'm not sure whether it's just I've got an outdated point and shoot, but from what I've experienced, it's not bad at either, but it's not great at either. Motorsport is too far away really, and the landscapes just seem to lack the crispness and detail I've seen in photos from more advanced cameras.

Another thing is "long exposures" I've got a love for them, and the panasonics 60 second shutter time is more than ample for me, even the sony nex's 30 would be enough. But can modern point and shoot do this, mine certainly can't. Is this something a bridge camera could do, but then I revert back to my previous paragraph, I want something with the capability to do it all, can a camera that cannot change lenses do the wide range of things I want my camera to do?

I know the lenses are going to be expensive but even when packed away in a bag it's still a hell of a lot more portable than the bulky DSLR option.

EDIT: Just seen the Panasonic DMC-GX1 - which seems to tick even more boxes - It has a built in flash, has a wider range of exposure compensation, quicker continuous drive than the gf3 though less than the Sony NEX - but is the gx1 therefore worth the extra expense over the gf3 - what else makes it "better"?

Quite honestly, couldn't give a crap about filming from them.
You really get what you pay for, in any format camera. High ends of each will give manual controls and the option for long exposures. Bulb modes might also be something you could be interested in.

To get the very best 'stunning' photographs, you'll be spending a lot on very fast and sharp lenses, which can really rack up the cost into thousands - especially in DSLR territory. You can easily spend a couple of grand on a fast telephoto lens alone, and to get the reach of a similar smaller-format camera means BIG bulk.

There are high-end point and shoots, but the (relatively) small sensors and and limited-reach fixed lens of these sounds like it won't tick all of the boxes for you. You certainly wouldn't be able to get any motorsport pictures with them, unless you're standing on the track. Some compact cameras have big zoom lenses, but to pack that kind of action in a small lens usually means compromising sharpness. No long-zoom, high-performance compacts come immediately to mind.

Bridge cameras are very versatile, idiot-friendly and VERY fun to use (speaking from experience), but you'll still be looking at the results of a small sensor camera. I shoot a HS20EXR, and it's great fun to use. If I want to put effort into getting a good photo, I have the option to shoot RAW and post-process for a better result, but it still has far more limitations than a system camera. It's still a small sensor picture - no matter how I process it. If you don't mind dropping high-iso performance and picture quality for an 'all-in-one' camera, then bridge options are definitely there. The Pana FZ150 is very highly regarded, and I'd strongly suggest checking out the new Fuji XS-1: the larger sensor bridge camera that's getting good reviews.

M4/3 cameras really come into their element in the kind of 'middle-ground' between quality and versatility. Their sensors are pretty much there now in terms of performance - and the range of lenses, whilst limited when compared to DSLR lenses, is still very good. You can easily get a fast pancake lens for the wide angle or portrait shots, and the 2x conversion factor means that the Pana 45-200mm or the 100-300mm lenses will give you huge reach on the telephoto end (equiv. 90-400mm and 200-600mm, respectively). Due to them being system cameras, though, they're certainly not 'all in one' cameras. Bridge cameras have that title IMO.

I will say that, for telephoto shots, you'll do better with a viewfinder. If you're going to want to shoot from a distance, small body cameras like the GF3 will be very hard to stabilise at arms length when a big lens is attached to it. Something worth considering.

I don't know a lot about DLSRs, other than the fact that they big and pricey :p Can't really comment too much here.

Just be prepared for compromise. There isn't a camera out there that is the best at everything, it just depends on what you want to prioritise. Like I said, head into jessops with an SD card, and ask if you can take some shots to take home and compare. You'll get a feel for the cameras and get to see if the results are what you're looking for.
:)

If you want some example photos from real-world use, head over to photography forums like DPReview, or search around on Flickr. You'll get a feel for the kind of quality each camera is capable of.

Last edited:

Gadget

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Essex, UK
It's very difficult (impossible?) to get a do-everything compact (although something like a Canon G12 tries hard......but isn't exactly compact), you do really need interchangable lenses to give you full control and the option of really wide / telephoto lenses. The compact system cameras are certainly attractive if size is an issue, although I'd recommend trying one out before you buy as not everyone likes electronic viewfinders. I've heard the Sony NEX series are good and have always found Panasonic Lumix stuff to be great.

One of the biggest benefits of going DSLR though (especially Canon or Nikon) is the sheer volume of secondhand stuff out there. Fast glass can cost an arm and a leg, so a decent secondhand community can be a godsend. However there's no point having an uber DSLR if you can never be bothered to lug it around with you.