Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

DOT cylinders and the UK

H-PAC SERVICES LTD

Nov 18, 2002
UK
Visit site
re dot cylinders, i have recently passed on an e-mail recieved from the HSE which is the UKs governing safety body concernining anything commercial and safety orientated.
IT STATES THAT IT IS ILLEGAL TO SUPPLY A DOT CYLINDER FOR USE IN THE UK, IT IS ILLEGAL TO FILL CYLINDER FROM A COMMERCIAL SOURCE IE FROM US, THERE ARE DISPENSATIONS FOR AIRCRAFT ETC,HOWEVER WHEN WE ASKED ABOUT THE VISITING TEAM BIT WE WERE TOLD WE STILL CAN NOT FILL THEM.
IF ANYBODY CAN PROVE OTHERWISE IN WRITING THAT CAN BE CHECKED I WILL FILL THEM, IT SEEMS THAT AS YET THE HSE HASNT GOT INVOLVED IN PAINTBALL AND THIS MAY BE A GOOD THING OTHERWISE IT WILL COST A LOT MORE TO YOURSELVES AND SITE OWNERS TO ADHERE TO THE RULES HOWEVER MAD THEY MAY BE.
HOW IT STANDS AT THE MINUTE IS NOBODY COMMERCIAL CAN TEST A DOT PAINTBALL CYLINDER FOR USE IN THE UK OR FILL THEM LEGALY, AS FOR DUAL STANDARD CYLS IE DOT/HSE WE ARE FILLING THEM AT PRESENT BUT A CYLINDER MANUFACTURER IS TRYING TO STOP THIS AS A DOT TEST EXCEEDS MAXIMUM TEST PRESSURE FOR A HSE TEST .
IF SOMEONE HAS ANY PROOF TO CONTRADICT WHAT IVE GOT IN WRITING PLEASE LET ME KNOW AS I WOULD LOVE TO BE ABLE TO TEST DOT CYLINDERS, WE ARE A TEST STATION AND IM TURNING WORK AWAY, ALSO EVERY TIME I CONTASCT THE HSE THE QUESTION THINGS IT TAKES UP TO TEN DAYS FOR A REPLY.
PHEONIX HAVE POSTED THE HSE WEB ADDRESS I GAVE THEM SO FEEL FREE TO CONTACT THEM BUT BEWARE YOU MAY BE OPENING A CAN OF WORMS. YOU COULD ALSO ASK PEOPLE WHO SOLD YOU THE SYSTEMS TO GIVE YOU IT IN WRITING DETAILS OF TEST STANDARDS FOR YOUR CYLINDER AFTER ALL THEY SHOULD KNOW WHAT THERE SELLING YOU.
WE HAVE SIGNS UP AT EVERY EVENT STATING WE CANNOT FILL DOT CYLS AND HAVE PUT IT ON THIS SITE FOR ALMOST A YEAR,
WEVE EVEN HAD PEOPLE LIE TO US AND SAY WE TESTED THE CYL WHEN IT COMES TO FILLING ON SITE, SURELY YOU VALUE YOUR OWN SAFETY AND THOSE AROUND YOU, IF ONE WAS TO BURST, ALTHOUGH UNLIKELY IT WOULDNT JUST STING IT WOULD KILL.
I WILL GLADLY TALK TO ANYONE ON THIS MATTER, IT NEEDS CLARIFYING BUT THE HSE ARE OVERSTRECHED AND DONT REALLY WANT TO KNOW UNTILL SOMETHING HAPPENS THEN THEY TAKE YOU TO COURT SO LETS BE SAFE.
GREAT EVENTS WILL SEE YOU AT THE INDOOR

TREVOR

Hotpoint

Pompey Paintballer
Originally posted by H-PAC SERVICES LTD
re dot cylinders, i have recently passed on an e-mail recieved from the HSE

WHEN WE ASKED ABOUT THE VISITING TEAM BIT WE WERE TOLD WE STILL CAN NOT FILL THEM.
Who from the HSE said this because they skirted around the question when I asked them? I think the problem is not so much the legality of DOT on Aircraft but the use of non-HSE equipment by Diving Crews etc.

If you could forward the email to me on jonleehayes@yahoo.com I would very much appreciate it :)

Originally posted by H-PAC SERVICES LTD
AS FOR DUAL STANDARD CYLS IE DOT/HSE WE ARE FILLING THEM AT PRESENT BUT A CYLINDER MANUFACTURER IS TRYING TO STOP THIS AS A DOT TEST EXCEEDS MAXIMUM TEST PRESSURE FOR A HSE TEST
Any idea where the "Cylinder Manufacturer" gets this from because I could not see any such reference in the HSE specifications. DOT requires a standard x2 normal pressure and HSE x1.5 minimum during manufacture

Gary......The answer is yes, the legality is subject to the filling of said cylinder not its use.

Also, having seen this thread in a thousand different guises it has become apparent that a few people have recently recieved DOT bottles when purchasing airsystems in the UK. Beware those companies that are guilty YOU ARE BREAKING THE LAW. You are also screwing your customers.

Quick question: Is it true tat the UK is planning to reform the laws to bring itself inline with the rest of Europe within the next five years?

garycarrot

Apr 9, 2002
Durham, North East England
Visit site
If thats right..

All H-PAC has to do is fill a dive tank, and let anyone with a "in test" DOT bottle get a fill from that, and not from the table.
So that would sort everyone out!! And H-PAC not losing any money! and everyone happy.

Burb

#1 Soi Cowboy.
Nov 27, 2001
Middleweight
Im sure you CANNOT use DOT bottles in any site in the UK, for their own insurance reasons.
Or at least this is what every site owner has told me.
Even before H-Pac came onto the scene Russell (Series 2002/3) would occasionaly check to see wether DOT bottles where in use.

However if the information i have posted is incorrect. Then im sure someone would love to buy my PMI Pure Energy 4500psi Dot bottle off me ;)