The Home Of European Paintball

Etha Bolt Stick?

Jezz

www.PaintRiot.co.uk
Jan 7, 2013
Bicester, Oxon
www.JezzsPlace.com
Hello All,

Had my first day out with my new Etha today, have to say I didn't have a great day, but poor site paint was mainly to blame I believe.

I have just finished stripping and cleaning my Etha. Upon putting the bolt back onto the bolt guide, I noticed there is a slight "stick" when it slides onto the guide.

Is this normal? I'm thinking it shouldnt do that, but before I look into the matter I wanted to check if it was right or not.

I'm using the TechT bolt upgrade, but it does the same with the stock bolt.

On the bolt guide, right at the end where the bolt sits (opposite end to the rubber bumper) there is a slightly worn mark on the metal, I can post a photo to help if needed.

Is this stick going to cause a problem or any damage? This is the first day out with this marker so surely it shouldnt be worn already?

Thanks for your help.

Jezz

www.PaintRiot.co.uk
Jan 7, 2013
Bicester, Oxon
www.JezzsPlace.com
May have just answered my own question.....

On the PE bolt maintenance video, at 7:40 you can see the "stick" I'm describing when he slides the bolt back on, so hopefully its not an issue.

Last edited:

Jezz

www.PaintRiot.co.uk
Jan 7, 2013
Bicester, Oxon
www.JezzsPlace.com
Good to hear :)

My first day out with the Etha today, chopped every other ball! Was happy it wasn't just me though, poor site paint seemed to be the blame, put a bit of a downer on the day though!

Jezz

www.PaintRiot.co.uk
Jan 7, 2013
Bicester, Oxon
www.JezzsPlace.com
No I kept the TechT bolt in all day, I wasn't alone with the chopping, everyone there was chopping paint, there were 8 of us with our own guns and all had the problem. When I first got the Etha, I put 500 paintballs through it and it only chopped 1, with the TechT bolt. Haven't chrono'd it yet so cant comment on the fps side.

jahlad

Emortal
Feb 11, 2002
Planet, 0161
the resistance you are feeling when pushing the bolt onto the guide is the small oring on then of the poppet shaft pushing into the bolt insert, perfectly normal and nothing to worry about, just make sure there is a spot of grease on the oring and away you go.
chopping paint is quite often caused by hoppers, if you have your hopper speed/spring tension set too high it can cause a lot of problems which people often blame on the bolt, try turning your hopper settings down.
the tech t bolt i have never tried but from what i have read it is a lot lighter than the stock bolt which may also cause problems with brittle paint and in cold weather, if the bolt is lighter it will move forward faster and cause more impact on the paint and could possibly cause problems, just speculating here as i have not tried one but Jack made the bolt the weight it is for a reason

Nicky T

Platinum Member
May 9, 2002
Bury, Lancashire
www.patreon.com
No I kept the TechT bolt in all day, I wasn't alone with the chopping, everyone there was chopping paint, there were 8 of us with our own guns and all had the problem. When I first got the Etha, I put 500 paintballs through it and it only chopped 1, with the TechT bolt. Haven't chrono'd it yet so cant comment on the fps side.
The next time you chop paint, your first task then is to replace the TechT bolt with stock bolt and compare results.
TechT are advising that you lubricate the bolt guide lightly. We (the makers of the Etha) advocate that you should NOT lubricate the bolt guide at all as this may lead to Bolt Stick, which seems to be an issue that you are experiencing ;)

Nicky T

Jezz

www.PaintRiot.co.uk
Jan 7, 2013
Bicester, Oxon
www.JezzsPlace.com
the resistance you are feeling when pushing the bolt onto the guide is the small oring on then of the poppet shaft pushing into the bolt insert, perfectly normal and nothing to worry about, just make sure there is a spot of grease on the oring and away you go.
chopping paint is quite often caused by hoppers, if you have your hopper speed/spring tension set too high it can cause a lot of problems which people often blame on the bolt, try turning your hopper settings down.
the tech t bolt i have never tried but from what i have read it is a lot lighter than the stock bolt which may also cause problems with brittle paint and in cold weather, if the bolt is lighter it will move forward faster and cause more impact on the paint and could possibly cause problems, just speculating here as i have not tried one but Jack made the bolt the weight it is for a reason
Makes perfect sense about the o ring on the poppet.

It was a very cold day, about 2 degree's. and the paint was poor.

Diamond wars next Sunday so hopefully will have a better day.

frenchy2475

I have quit...
Jun 17, 2009
Wiltshire
It will be the paint at fault. Sites need to be using a true winter ball. I think most have paint left over from earlier in the year which is fine for 10c + temps but soon as it gets near 0c the paint will become very brittle and break as the bolt hits it or in the barrel.

I think it's going to be a cold one at Diamond Wars so let's hope they have got winter paint