Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Home PC

Skeet

Platinum Member
that dell isnt too bad for a ready made package i suppose....i prefer to make em myself tho, feels more like its 'yours'......also you get the advantage of picking high quality components....for example a none branded 2gb of ram will not perform as well as a good brand....and certainly wont overclock as well.

my scratch system, has more storage with a fast access time, far better gpu (although lump didnt say he needed much) and will be far easier to upgrade if needed.

the e2160 is proably the best value for money cpu at the moment...will easily run at 3gig with a good cooler and with water cooling will do 3.6, easily fast enough for what lump wants.....infact its good enough with the right gpu to run most current games. only problem with them is they are never in stock! im actually planning on using on in my next build, until i replace it when q6600 prices drop a bit
i guess overclocking isnt on most peoples agenda but why buy a £150 cpu when you can make a £40 one do the same job and learn a little at the same time is my way of thinking.
Thats right. My system cost me £900 all in at the time, before all the Quad cores came out. I have a Tsunami Dream case, which was £80 on it's own, nice case though.

I went for an IP35 chipset, stuck a E6400 2.14GHZ in it, lapped cooler, runs nice at 3Ghz. Chip cost £125 at the time and the 3Ghz ones were about £500! Also had a 8800GTS OC, only 320MB but does the job, that was £200 at the time, bit cheaper now though.

It's actually a minefield when building your own, as there are so many options. I want a BRD read write drive, also reads HD-DVD they are cheap now!

JAHLAD: You reckon you can get a 1.8Ghz processor to run at 3Ghz and be stable on ORTHOS etc at 100% for a couple of days? Thats quite an overclock.
What sort of idle temps would you expect with that?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Skeetmaster/DSCI0002.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v245/Skeetmaster/DSCI0001.jpg

jahlad

Emortal
Feb 11, 2002
Planet, 0161
not sure on the temps but that exact mb, cpu, memory and cooler was used by custom pc magazine they set it up to 3ghz no probs, ive been reading up on stuff recently and they are apparently very good overclockers even on air tho after 3ghz you need to start tweeking voltages to get more, which i wouldnt even concider on air cooling, hence why im going to water.

doh actually just realised it was the e2140 not the e2160 that is the one they used, the 2160 is probably the same chip tho just factory set higher for an extra tenner.

Skeet

Platinum Member
not sure on the temps but that exact mb, cpu, memory and cooler was used by custom pc magazine they set it up to 3ghz no probs, ive been reading up on stuff recently and they are apparently very good overclockers even on air tho after 3ghz you need to start tweeking voltages to get more, which i wouldnt even concider on air cooling, hence why im going to water.

doh actually just realised it was the e2140 not the e2160 that is the one they used, the 2160 is probably the same chip tho just factory set higher for an extra tenner.
Probably has better multipliers too, hence the Overclock ability.

Its also a 60nm thickness, so thicker than the 45nm's and better at controlling heat.

Lump

one case one kill
Sep 20, 2004
in the ABYSS
ok,not sure what to do now, dont fancy the loads of bits thing. with my reputation i will break it or F it. for easy i am liking the dell. click and its ready to use out the box. and i can upgrade it slightly. i get what you mean a bout a better spec if it custom built. not sure that's right for us. and we would need some to shout at down the phone if all went tits up.

so unless you can offer 24 hour road side assistance going to go with the dell i think :eek:

jahlad

Emortal
Feb 11, 2002
Planet, 0161
lol i know what you meen, its definatly handy to have a help line if you arnt 100% sure.
if you want to be able to take it out of the box plug it in and get on with it then for £479 that dell will do everything you want it to do without any nonsence or lego :)
always worth phoning them and haggling for free delivery tho!

SwissTony

Pyrotechnic
Jan 1, 2006
Visit site
Thats right. My system cost me £900 all in at the time, before all the Quad cores came out. I have a Tsunami Dream case, which was £80 on it's own, nice case though.
Is your case the black or the silver one?
I got the black one and it is super sexy, apart from the bloody great scratch on the top when I dropped a soldering iron on it :mad:

Back on topic.
Don't use overclockers as they are con merchants, you have less than 75% chance of getting what you paid for, and if there are problems you have no chance of getting it resolved.
They are run by filthy chavsters as well.
The sites I would go for are Aria, Cclonline and possibly Ebuyer as they have been improving there service.

Robin Hood

Formerly Jermy
Feb 6, 2002
An island in the rain
Hey Lump, the PC I've just build could be perfect for you. Have a look at the specs in my listing in my sig. You can come around to look at it if you like. I'm in the States at the mo but will be back next week.

Also - for raid you can use 2 more more drives. RAID 0 is performance ie. the data is split between the 2 hardrives for faster write and read times. RAID 1 is striping/redundancy where the data is mirrored onto both hardrives so if one fails you still have all the data backed up on the second. There's also a plethora of other setups you can have.