Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

humans... strange creatures?

Pmr Man

otherwise known as Bing!
Apr 24, 2008
satans layby- MILTON KEYNES
hi all,
one more for the box. do you think think that humans were naturally born to be in a group? as many people can live fine by themselves/ quite solitary and are happy (a bit like bears). do you think the city life puts stress on us. add some ideas to the stew of knowlidge:confused::):p:)

Devrij

Sex-terrorist
Dec 3, 2007
Bristol
Your question regarding "city life" is a good one. We're are now officially a metropolitan planet, with over 50% of the world population now living in cities. Obviously, the effects of this are myriad. Urban cool, segregation (and ghetto-ization), lack of meaning in human interaction, anonimity (living in a group of people this large: is it really a group?), lack of identity -> a search for identity (typically through various means of consumption) -> the commodification of sub-cultures (eg punk). The list goes on.

To answer your question: quite simply, yes. No man is an island. Even the man living by himself is performing the role of "man who lives by himself". You can't escape society. My thoughts anyway.

TEKLOFTY

You're in the jungle baby
Jan 7, 2009
In your sphincter
Your question regarding "city life" is a good one. We're are now officially a metropolitan planet, with over 50% of the world population now living in cities. Obviously, the effects of this are myriad. Urban cool, segregation (and ghetto-ization), lack of meaning in human interaction, anonimity (living in a group of people this large: is it really a group?), lack of identity -> a search for identity (typically through various means of consumption) -> the commodification of sub-cultures (eg punk). The list goes on.

To answer your question: quite simply, yes. No man is an island. Even the man living by himself is performing the role of "man who lives by himself". You can't escape society. My thoughts anyway.
I agree with this, everyone needs a reason to be - an existential verification of life; even solitary people need to see themselves relative to a group out of a belief that by comparison they have a better life for it.

Pmr Man

otherwise known as Bing!
Apr 24, 2008
satans layby- MILTON KEYNES
that is interesting, i've been pondering what you said and it makes perfect sense, yet in large congrigational areas like cities it seems like there is more depretion and general unhappyness

chrizwheatley

Northern Baller
Sep 23, 2007
Near Newcastle
Thats because people are not self content and look at what others have, humans are naturally competitive and want more (greedy).

We are violent and aggressive if we do not get what we want, people say they are not however, but yet they look at helping others as a chore or in hope of something back from someone else,very rairly do people do completely selfless things.

We naturally want what others have that we think will benefit us for the better then comes the part of competitiveness, whether it be for jobs, money, fast cars, a stunning women etc etc its all quite simply in our nature. To obtain these goals we must maintain the competitivness with aggression, for example can anyone honestly say they turned up for a job interview or whatever and saw another candidate for the job and thought well i dont need the money just let them have the job because the other dude looks like he wants it? A really nice bloke who wouldnt harm a fly will still be competitive.

Next comes the part of playing sporting, for this we look to the law and our morals and say ok we are not going to shoot or kill the other candidate but we will look at their flaws or weakness as we see them and play on that once again this is aggressive stance to the competition.

To go back to the original post more people living close together in for example citys see more of these 'wants' every single day where as people who live more isolated lives see less and dont 'want' as much (of course until they see these things then they want them to).

So to try and sum up i just think that humans can adapt and do it very well whether it be alone or in groups i think it comes down to the individual what works best for them. :D