Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Importing a Full Auto capable marker

northern monkey

token northerner
Aug 13, 2002
The Mighty 'Ford!
Visit site
If I get a nice cheap electronic semi (E-99 etc) from the states, bring it into the UK and then disable the multi fire options (removing switches, loctite/solder over old switch position) am I still breaking/bending the Law by importing it in the first place??

crom-dubh

WHATEVER...
Sep 9, 2001
watford
Visit site
Yup.

If it were siezed at customs you could probably be able to talk your self out of trouble, but it would be a blow for paintball. Possibly a court case would happen and the sport could be damaged. Technically in the eyes of the law you would be doing the same as importing AK47's. Very illegal.

Rabies

Trogdor!
Jul 1, 2002
London, UK
Tournament locks require you to use tools to disable them or make adjustments. So for velocity adjusters/regulators need an allen key or something to adjust, firing modes in electronic triggers require that you remove the grip to switch it off or something similar.

Mark

UK Cougars
Jul 9, 2001
England
www.ukcougars.co.uk
Originally posted by Rabies
Tournament locks require you to use tools to disable them or make adjustments. So for velocity adjusters/regulators need an allen key or something to adjust, firing modes in electronic triggers require that you remove the grip to switch it off or something similar.
If the above is your justification for having a Full Auto marker then you are just so wrong, a switch that needs to be thrown in one direction or another does not make the marker legal in the UK it can't even be used here if the marker is capable of being put in Full Auto, An Angel LCD does have the capability but only when the software has been manipulated, under normal curcumstances (sp?) it doesn't matter how many times you push the buttons with the grip off it will not move out of semi mode, Shockers with the old dome trigger switch AND with the selection switch removed totally are ok, replace the switch and you are in a world of hurt. If the above quote was the justification for the use of a Full Auto capable marker but turned onto another mode for use in competition in the US and locked down then sure thats fine but I think you meant the first way of using the marker ;)

"Capable" is the Key here, not just the moving of switches

Rabies

Trogdor!
Jul 1, 2002
London, UK
Originally posted by Mark

If the above is your justification for having a Full Auto marker then you are just so wrong,
Not at all -- I'm not trying to provide justification at all. Certainly any lock that can be removed with a screwdriver or allen key is not adequate in the eyes of the law; the purpose of tournament locks is simply to ensure that a marker's settings cannot be changed during a game, after it has been checked onto the field by a marshal.

The only way a full-auto capable marker can be made legal for the UK is by replacing the circuit board or software with a semi only version, or some other major modification that is not easily reversible.

My personal opinion on all this is that there is no need for turbo, burst or full auto modes on paintball markers, a trained finger can shoot just as well on semi and, even in the modern game, you can't replace skill with sheer voume of paint. Even if the legal aspects did not exist (for instance in the US) I can't say I miss the 'enhanced' fire modes.

Rabies

Trogdor!
Jul 1, 2002
London, UK
That's OK, I was just replying to spyderflashlcd23's question without any other implication in it, but I can understand how it could have been taken as you read it.

Out of interest, do angels have full auto/burst modes? Because if they do then surely WDP is putting itself in a precarious legal position.