Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

ion or pm5?

Ion_Paintball

Beam me up Scottie
Mar 13, 2007
Sheffield
My fault for not exaplaining...

I meant if he has a set budget which i am guessing he does with those 2 options then the pm5 would be best choice for quaility

but he would probably be able to get a newer ion for the same price

Rich ECI

London ECI.
Nov 10, 2006
There's a few advantages a pm5 has over an Ion and id suggest the Pm5.

First the Pm5 is much more reliable, Ion's are known for being unreliable, also people like Neil at heaven are sent out from Dye to fix proto and dye markers for free, so you wont have to go and send off your gat to get it fixed.

They are also at most tournaments so if your pm5 goes down it can be fixed, if your Ion goes down, your f=cked for the rest of the tourny, unless there is someone there who knows about it. :rolleyes:

Rich

Echowitch

Southern Pirates
Ion's are known for being unreliable
They are ? First I've heard of it. I've heard a few negative stories like with any marker, but the vast majority have been positive.

The advantages of an Ion are its a good solid marker, with plenty of upgrades. its downside is you will 'need' to buy a few upgrades. (By need I mean it is highly advisable, but you can live without them.) A q-lock, and an ASA for starters. A 14 inch barrel to replace the standard 12 inch if you want more range.

It is however designed as a starter tournament marker, (worth a lot more than its price tag mind you,) and yes the PM5 does beat it overall as the PM5 is/was a top end tourny marker, but there's nothing wrong with having an Ion when you are starting out. Just ignore the sneers of the people with the latest 07 model £1000 markers, as they are just compensating for their lack in other area's.....like people who buy Porsches and Ferrarri's ;)

And what Spangly said about people knowing about Ion's.

Rich ECI

London ECI.
Nov 10, 2006
to be fair though what tourneys are there where there isn't someone who knows about ions :confused:
I mean a guy (tech!) who has all the neccesary parts to replace if an ion goes down, and lets be fair, yes ions are a great starter marker, but can be known as 'disposable gats' - yes you may not think so, but thats my view, and i know some people have had some fantastically running ions with no problems, but lets face it they're not all like that...

NSPL events for one have a dye/proto tech and apart from normal players you don't get qualified smart parts tech's at these events, yeah milleniums and other series' you would but at some no, and really if your looking to buy an Ion, your probably not going to be playing as high as Milleniums.