Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Is pgi doing enuff for newbies

rancid

Mother, is that you?
Hey cowface (that name still tickles me), Manning's right, believe it or not we make very little on sales on the newsstand - the reason is the bloody carriage charges to the far corners of the earth. The ad rev is our main source of income. But you're right, we will look to move the balance over the coming months. having said that, I think we've made a few improvements over the last few issues.

Midegetfista - it is difficult getting the balance right. But we've got to remember that the newbies of today are going to be mugging you and me tomorrow (well you maybe :p ).

Any other observations? Keep em coming.

MidgetFista

Nov 12, 2001
Cheshire, UK
homepages.manx.net
Originally posted by rancid

Midegetfista - it is difficult getting the balance right. But we've got to remember that the newbies of today are going to be mugging you and me tomorrow (well you maybe :p ).
What u mean tomorrow? they are already mugging me!!! Why'd ya think i'm so bitter!!!!

;)

Midge

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Okay, 'm not exactly new to the game, but I talk to enough newbies to understand a little of what they're after.
I think PGI is doing a fine job as is (although Smartecrosse's idea is cool, and I think it'll appeal to the veterans too). Many of the articles apply to any and all. Tourney coverage: When I first started out, I loved reading that stuff. Most new guys are a little star struck, and have a favorite team or player, and love reading about them. Tips, techniques, and tactics: Broad enough to be of help to the experienced and inexperienced alike. Funny stuff, well, you don't need to be an old timer to have a sense of humour.
All this is ofcourse just my opinion.

Later!

tb-303

Shootin’ fools shootin’ fools
Oct 8, 2001
wolverhampton, UK
how'd i get here and read pgi?
well i went punter paintballing,loved it and just went to whsmiths looking for a paintball mag(remembering that i'd seen them there before) and ended up with pgi. read it cover to cover and didn't really know what a lot of it was about. carried on buying it and bit by bit things became clearer. saw the p8 site on the cover and had a peek and have been checking it out everyday since. i still buy the mag and i'm understanding more as i play more.
i know the mag has to cover a huge range of playaz(tourney,recball etc) and a huge range of abilitys and knowhow. which i think it covers pretty well.
personally i would like to see a bit more back to basics on markers. when i was looking for a new marker i had the whole shocker Vs cocker Vs mag Vs all the others but i didn't have a clue what the differences are(or why they were different) or how they work.so stuff like this is a cocker it works like this.......yadda,yadda,yadda....next month we'll look at electros,they are different to cockers because electros work like ........you know what i mean.but i don't mean cover each and every marker and version of a marker....just the basics.
also(as said earlier) i think a review roundup at the back, like the hifi mags do, would be interesting. with listings or when it was reviewed so back issues can be obtained.

the other thing i've noticed which i would like to see is when ordering back issues or subscribing on-line. is an e-mail notification. i subscribed on line and the only way i knew it went through ok was when the next issue fell on my door step. like wise i've ordered back issues and haven't a clue if the order has been placed, so just a mail notification would be handy.i know i could phone this would be easier.

i know this is a bit of an essay,sorry.

l8rz dudes.
tb-303

Manning26

Originally posted by rancid
Hey cowface (that name still tickles me), Manning's right, believe it or not we make very little on sales on the newsstand
Cowface, I'm not sure if you've picked up on it yet, but Rancid's a bit slow. Right after you say that you're not slaggin' the magazine he swoops in and repeats what I just said. Yeah, I just wanted you to know that you're not the only one to have to deal with it.;)

KillerOnion

Lord of the Ringtones
Actually, I think PGI does more for newbies than any other magazine because of a number of things. One it gets more detailed in tech reviews than any other. Two it actually presents the game as it is. Three, it gives actually useful info on improving one's play--the other magazines have newbies going out to the fields and getting lit up because they think they know everything when they haven't read 2 sentences from the others about knowing how to tuck in, how to snap, how to communicate, etc. Other magazines will review a Spyder or a Stingray and talk about it like it's an Angel, all for the sake of ad money and no attention to how well or poorly someone will be standing on the field were they to buy one. PGI gives details, the others just barely even hint at it or just plain don't give a flying feck about how the game is played, only how they can look like they know what they're talking about, how they can take peoples' money, and how much they can suck on NPS' and Kingman's pink pickles.

YES APG THIS MEANS YOU!

jermanboy

Aug 25, 2001
Independence, MO
Visit site
To KILLER ONION

the other magazines have newbies going out to the fields and getting lit up because they think they know everything when they haven't read 2 sentences from the others about knowing how to tuck in, how to snap, how to communicate, etc.
If they haven't read two sentences from the other magazines, and haven't read two sentences from PGI, I think they are going out with the same amount of knowledge. I really don't think that it is the other magazine's(APG) fault.

Other magazines will review a Spyder or a Stingray and talk about it like it's an Angel, all for the sake of ad money and no attention to how well or poorly someone will be standing on the field were they to buy one.
I have never read an article comparing one of those markers to angels, and any way it all depends on the consistency of your gun. One of the writers for APG, MR. 44, lives in my area and mostly does gun reviews. He doesn't give far fetched reviews infact he gives fair ones. He makes jack for writing those articles, sure there is a little compensation there, but not enough to give outlandish reviews for cheap product.

the others just barely even hint at it or just plain don't give a flying feck about how the game is played, only how they can look like they know what they're talking about, how they can take peoples' money, and how much they can suck on NPS' and Kingman's pink pickles.
As for this accusation; one of the head editors names is Jessica Sparks. Jessica went to college to be a lawyer and not a journalist. Jessica and her husband have been playing for years and fell in love with the sport. The two much legal work for paintball across the us with no compensation. Yes no compensation. Last fall when paintball was about to be outlawed in Wisconsin and everyone was freaking out, the couple stood before Wisconsin's government fighting for the rights of paintball. This is just one case. The two are also promoters of Youth/Adult tournament in the Midwest helping those younger kids to be mentored by older more experienced players.

The whole staff of APG are in it for the sport, to help it grow, and to be accepted by all. They are trying to help the new players. As for Spyder and NPS, they sell beginners equipment and APG is a magazine for the beginner. You dont see to much NPPL covered in there. They are for the rec ballers and the less experienced. APG takes the money from the companies to keep the magazine going. They arent rolling in the dough, they are keeping the publication going.

Don't get me wrong I do believe PGI is the better publication by far and I rarely read an APG cover to cover like I do PGI. I think before you make rude comments like people sucking people's pink pickles, you need to look at yourself and realise who's pink pickle you are trying to suck (Mr. Big, Rancid, Robbo) to write for PGI. Thats just my take on the situation.

ToAnswer the original question asked by Rancid
I believe you have great articles on how to play which help very much. Back when I started reading I learned a ton from Eric Felix and Robbo. Both helped in tourney and rec play. Even though I dont like Joe Schmoe, it helps recballers feel more at home with PGI.