Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Lenght of backs?

Teggy

I like to shoot things...
Sep 8, 2007
Sydney, Australia
Do they lengths of the backs in a paintball barrel make alot of difference?

logically they would, but logically rifling would work too... :p

i know paint to bore match is the most important, thats why im looking at a kit

reason i ask is i am considering buying a barrel like the sly, carbon fiber front with multiple backs but they are only about an inch long

then i saw a review of the silhouette barrels with 3.5 inch backs and carbon fiber fronts

and im also considering the redz pepper sticks because they have 8 inch backs...

little help on this issue, i know those "which barrel should i buy" questions are pretty much shrouded in ambiguity but these are fairly new products

oh and its for an 06 Maniac Ego

FirebirD

Grade 'A' Chump
Jun 22, 2006
Dorset
I dont think the back makes much of a difference, as its still joined to the front really.
But thats what I think, I could be wrong.

balf

Mr Fantastico
May 20, 2006
Stealing Al's PC parts
ive found something like a warped un1tec (was lucky) with 14" (and yes that is right) fronts are the best for overall acuracy as the bore is the same all the way down the barrel length

Revolt

Monkey features
Dec 10, 2005
Scotland
Visit site
Do they lengths of the backs in a paintball barrel make alot of difference?

logically they would, but logically rifling would work too... :p

i know paint to bore match is the most important, thats why im looking at a kit

reason i ask is i am considering buying a barrel like the sly, carbon fiber front with multiple backs but they are only about an inch long

then i saw a review of the silhouette barrels with 3.5 inch backs and carbon fiber fronts

and im also considering the redz pepper sticks because they have 8 inch backs...

little help on this issue, i know those "which barrel should i buy" questions are pretty much shrouded in ambiguity but these are fairly new products

oh and its for an 06 Maniac Ego
rifling in theory doesnt work

because the liquid inside the ball doesnt spin at the same rate as the shell

although what does that mean for reballs? shrugg, im drunk, and away out ! :) ill be interested to see if rifling does work for reballs though

Robbo22

Jul 10, 2006
Preston, Lancashire
ive found something like a warped un1tec (was lucky) with 14" (and yes that is right) fronts are the best for overall acuracy as the bore is the same all the way down the barrel length
i'll second that.. they're very cheap, look good.. many colours.. and havn't seen them been beaten much for accuracy..

they're really light aswell.. and once you;ve got your threaded back.. you jsut pick up different fronts!!

CAMDENELECTRIC

KU Nemesis
Jun 4, 2007
Newcastle Under-Lyme
I know Mark (the inventor of the silouhette VCF) and after months of research he found that 3.5 inch backs where the best as long as the paint to bore match was correct. I would reccomend the VCF because most of the reviews it has had are excellent and, having seen one shot, it is very impressive and cheap for such a concise kit.
Just a pointer not an advert!!!!

Stiffi switch kits are excellent and so are freaks......so you have a good selection!:)

Skeet

Platinum Member
Backs do make a difference, you need 8 inches to do the job properly and the same is true for barrels!

That was discovered by Tom Kaye of Automags fame and I trust his judgement.

After that length you are slowing the ball down again.

My REDZ Pepperstick set has 8 inch backs...the fronts are a larger bore and help to improve the transition from barrel to air, making it as smooth as possible.

Lump

one case one kill
Sep 20, 2004
in the ABYSS
ok i have had most barrels out there. there really is not any difference you will notice in a game, so its all about what looks the best :D

speedbird_666

Old Skool Is Cool....
Feb 1, 2003
Bournemouth.
Most of the research that Tom Kaye did was years ago 'back in the woods' when the fields were epic, there were 10 men a side and you were shooting at targets quite often at the limit of the markers effective range.
Nowadays on the (much) smaller fields we play on, you would be hard pressed to tell a difference in accuracy just by the barrel itself.

I go with lump, buy what looks best for your gun.