Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

NPPL Ams tougher than Pros?

BWillie

Jan 23, 2003
Visit site
Manike hit the nail on the head. Ahh the joys of American teams willingness to settle for 2nd level accomplishments.

I have heard MANY teams say we will move up to the next level once we know we are able to win at that level.

I believe that the Pro teams are better than the Am teams, who are better than the Am B teams, etc. But I also believe that MOST good Am teams play better paintball when the go pro. It seems contradictary, but I believe it boils down to top Am teams have talented, driven players. Holding their feet to the fire, so to speak, brings out their A game.

The problem is - just playing better as a pro team, doesn't always get the same results in placement at the end of the event. Teams base how they are playing on where they finish, and so do spectators. As a team or person trying to be the best you can be, I think that is a flawed means of judging your game. As a business manager, it may make sense. But anyone who making decisions about PLAYING tournament paintball based solely on busines decisions is fooling themselves.

On a seperate note - word from the Trauma camp is that the learning phase is complete, and the competition phase is about to begin. I hear they have a polish guy playing for them in Vegas, and possibly a couple of Social Security recipients in store by Chicago. The head Naughty Dog is correct. X-Ball is all about getting busy front and center and not as much about attack-counter attack. Trauma is looking to revamp the roster with experienced killers. For now it's a rumor, we''l all have to wait and see.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Philip
Ok, im a bit late with this but the FA cup is a sideshow, and a waste of one at that.

Sorry to butt in ;)
Phil, so how come the gates are way up as against normal league games if it's such a sideshow ?

Philip

Whip it out..
Mar 24, 2002
Ellesmere Port
Because its a special event, kinda. League games are always on, so people know they're gonna be there if they miss one, but they only get to see their team in so many FA cup games.

It being a sideshow is just my opinion though, not everyones :)

Sorry about the threadjack, i'll just stick to the techroom from now on ;)

FA Cup = Sideshow?

Well, things have moved on a bit since I last posted so forgive me if I'm digging some old stuff up...

Winning the FA Cup gives the winner a place in the Champions League, the financial incentive is comperable to the Premiership, it is in no way (as far as the clubs are concerned) a side show. The league cup is a side-show. You would never see a team who won the FA cup and the League saying that they won the league, they say they "Did the double".

Back to the question Nick asked me; No I can honestly say that not playing Pro teams would not stop me playing tournaments, but that doesn't mean that I would miss the opportunity. I would feel it was a bit of a shame. I do not feel that you are looking down at me, I would not accuse you of such, I was simply saying that while you are at (or towards :p) the top of paintball I am towards the bottom.

Whether or not other sports have top teams (or players) playing others IMHO is really by the by, its one of the things I like about paintball. I like that fact that I meet the top names at events, that people recognise my red nose :D from here.

I really don't think that decisions about the nature of the sport should be made based on the future potential of paintball on TV. I've watched paintball a number of times and I love watching it, but whenever I try and take an objective view I end up saying the same thing "paintball will never work on TV". I said as much at the Uttoxeter Series 2003 event, watching Nexus play RPS Viper in the final, outloud and was surrounded by people agreeing with me. It wasn't a borring game, it was a good game, but it just wasn't telegenic (if that's a word).

I feel that decisions about how sports are run should be made for the good of the sport, sure TV coverage should follow the top pros, so as to keep it understandable but TV coverage is one thing real life is another.

Richard

mikelynch49

Jan 15, 2003
mstsinfo.com
After re-reading my post I will retract the statement that the NPPL is the same as the PSP.

I think the NPPL is the premier league in the world and I feel they have done some great things. Not to beat a dead horse but I understood what they were trying to accomplish in HB, but in Vegas I feel they went away from what they promised. I talked with someone at the NPPL today. This person assured me that any and all issues that I stated in my prior posts have been addressed and fixed. So that being said......Chicago NPPL should be incredible!!!!!

Lynch