NPPL Ams tougher than Pros?

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Re: Re: Absolutely NOT true !

Originally posted by Baca Loco
One caveat before I join Nick's side--I'm only guessing at this FA Cup thang--but here goes anyway.;)
Does FA happen once a year?
Do FA results impact league standings in any way?
Is it an event that is not the norm? A unique format that offers team match-ups not otherwise played?
If so, I think it validates Nick's point and not vice versa. I'm also guessing that there is an ultimate winner, not winners, of FA Cup?

In which case a PB equivalent would be a once a year true Open with one winner and any team from any division free to enter.

Of course if I've guessed wrong please feel free to ignore me. Some more. :p :D :rolleyes:
Paul, it happens once a year yes, but lasts all year :)
It does not affect league standings.
It is a knockout format; hardly unique.
It offers clubs the chance to play against teams they would not otherwise meet, so in that sense it is unique.
And I am not advocating the once a year format for paintball, rather the tennis format, where there are a series of championships, just like now with paintball.
The whole point in me answering this was to rebut the notion that amateur teams playing against pro teams was somehow unique and invalidated the format, it doesn't in my opinion.

RoryM

Jul 23, 2001
Luxembourg now
Visit site
Now now Teej, no Brit baiting!

Or We will unleash some irony on you, and no, that's nothing to do with the creases down the front of your Jeans!!

Nick ,

Niall is my mate, thats all, I only express my views as to what I have experienced, nothing to do with Niall.

Richard has already echoed what I said, he may, I speculate here, not be the only one.

Look at the situation from another, less hostile may I say?, view:

Yes the Pro's and Am b's have to play us lower ranked teams, but as you are playing at that level the form book predicts that you should win. When you don't, the lesser teams picks up some unexpected points, that they have earned, and the pro's etc. are given a lesson in being a pro. i.e. always on your game.

You want another example - European/World cup qualifiers - Part time players represent Andorra/Lichtenstien et al, that have to go against the high earning full time pro's of other Eropean squads, its there chance of making the upset, and ocasionally they do (IN THE QUALIFIERS)

Again not a direct comparison, but all sports are different, so saying that P'ball is the only one that does not is because P'ball is a totally different sport to others. QED

Just a thought:)

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
TJ 'wanabe' lambini

Originally posted by woz
TJ are you wired to p8 or something you answered my post in about 0.1 of a second, now i know you aint no pro, maybe your some wanabe computer geek or something?

Warren, if you only knew mate :)

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Pete my man

Originally posted by Nick Brockdorff
Being in opposition to your view on the FA Cup, is hardly Raehlism.... please don't insult me ;) !

"No argument" is kind of lame dude...... this IS an argument !

("Hello - I'd like to buy an argument")

To me - the Premiership is the main competition, and the CUP a sideshow.

If we disagree, let's have a beer in Germany and debate further (you going ?)

Nick
Hey Nick, just because it is not the main event does not preclude it any way from being an enjoyable and respected format.

I ain't going to Germany mate as our resources only strecth so far and we have a lot to do on the training field if we are to be ready for Chicago in 8 weeks time.

But next time we meet, I will buy u a beer :)

RoryM

Jul 23, 2001
Luxembourg now
Visit site
Teej,

Since when did Oscar Wilde write in crayon??

(sorry woz!):p

Nick, my involvement with C.C. I agree does not make me the only qualified person to pass judgement on this, and if you read my posts, I think you notice I am not passing any judgements at all, I am the only person it seems that has been involved in this debate that can offer an opinion as lower level player and had some knowledge of what goes into setting up a major tournament in a stadium:) :cool:

R

raehl

Divisions? What are those?

I'm having a tough time coming up with any major sport that even has different divisions at the same event, save "Mens" and "Womens". NCAA does split things up based on school size, but their divisions operate as separate leagues entirely (save I-A and I-AA football).

We had 43 teams at the college nationals last weekend. Number of divisions? One. Illinois, who won their 4th national championship in a row was in the same division as Southern Illinois B, who had a couple players who were playing paintball for the first time ever as I recall, and they got last. I realize this isn't the best example since the league is run differently and the folks who don't win will have a better time, but...

At some point, the Rook/Nov/Am teams won't even be invited. They're there because they spread around the fixed costs and give the vendors someone to sell to. Once they figure out how to cover their costs through major out-of-industry sponsor contribution/TV rights/etc there won't be any reason to keep the rook-nov-am teams around at all. There will be good reasons not to - having 100 different teams at an event is counterproductive for trying to interface with a spectator who is generally used to seeing 2.

So enjoy your chance to even be there at all. One of these days we'll switch over to being like other sports and then you'll be out. Well, unless you're on a pro team of course.

As to the math of it, a 400 point cutoff vs. a 600 point cutoff is not evidence that one division is harder or easier than another, because those points don't mean the same thing. Pros didn't play 4 (or any) rookie teams, so Pro points are worth more. The question is, if you got 600 points in the Am division, would you have gotten 400 points if you had played in the Pro division? Probably not. If you would have, move up!

I do agree however that cross-divisional play isn't the best way to make sure your top teams make it to the next round. Whether you have one pro game or two and who that pro team ends up being has just as much to do with whether you advance as anything else.

- Chris