NPPL Ams tougher than Pros?

Beaker

Hello again
Jul 9, 2001
Wherever I may roam
imlr.org
Divisions? What are those?

Originally posted by raehl
At some point, the Rook/Nov/Am teams won't even be invited. They're there because they spread around the fixed costs and give the vendors someone to sell to. Once they figure out how to cover their costs through major out-of-industry sponsor contribution/TV rights/etc there won't be any reason to keep the rook-nov-am teams around at all. There will be good reasons not to - having 100 different teams at an event is counterproductive for trying to interface with a spectator who is generally used to seeing 2.
Agreed.

mikelynch49

Jan 15, 2003
mstsinfo.com
Rodney

I think as far as the venue goes, and the paintball goes, the event was just a little better than the PSP events. As far as the logistics and schedule goes, IN MY OPINION, was no better than the PSP. Once again Rodney remember the NPPL's promise. They basically said they were going to re-invent the wheel. At HB they did, but in Vegas they merely had a paintball tournament.

My other post wasn't meant to be malicious and probably the NPPL could care less about what I have to say, like I said I respect all of them and what they are trying to do. I just hope that they don't lose sight of the goals they set forth to accomplish.

Event #2 wasn't a bad event by any means. It wasn't HB or anywhere close to it. Once you raise the bar that much your first time out you need to be prepared to go as high or higher your next and they didn't. I know it is only the second event but I am entitled to my opinion. I hope that event #3 is the "Greatest Paintball Event Ever" and eclipses HB. Until that happens though, the NPPL will inevitably have to live up to hearing, "Well it was a good event but not as good as HB." Remember Rodney, all the teams did at HB was show up and play. The NPPL put on the show. At Vegas more teams showed up to play than in HB. The teams lived up to their end of the deal. I feel the NPPL didn't.

Once again the NPPL doesn't suck. It is still the best tournament series out there. Some things at this event just bothered me and I feel my points are valid, not malicious.

Lynch
EFT

Rocky Knuth

Naughty Dog
Feb 27, 2003
US
www.naughtydogs.us
let me chime in!.....

Mike,

I agree with you, the ams should play more am.
I think the AMS should have a chance at center stage, BUT if you guys want the "GLORY" then play pro. We played AM last year and there is a def difference. $hit you should now better, you played pro!

All,

Allot of people say the pro div is weak at NPPL, I dont think so the competition is fierce. I think the top 2 AM's teams would have a problem making the cut in that div. BELIEVE me I have played both div fairly recently.(not take anything away from EVIL or KAPP both teams desereve MUCH respect)

Joy Div took 2nd at portugal beating powerhouses like Strange. They did very well in LV. Tons Tons where a body away from making the finals again. You have Russion Legion and the new team Nexus. Also there are some older pro teams that will get back into the groove (avalance, Bad Company, Rage the new Redz team) Remember Bad company placed 4th at the 2002 world cup sending some pretty big name teams home. Bushwackers are stepping it up making the finals in the last 2 appearances.(they beat us one game and dynasty one game in the last 2 NPPL's)

As far as us being better this year, I think this is the best team I have fielded yet, we have always been constant "until" the finals.
Look at our past scores through the prelims(usaually the highest in the tournament). We changed our practice style in the off season. We are 10 times more aggresive than we have ever been. Plus we have the extra Balls in the air :)~.

Trauma did beat us last year in the placing's I think they only hung the flag on us Once(Chicago)! All of last season we only had the flag hung on us less than 3 times.(we did stale some games--hence the dreaded 2nd place finishes) --I think this year we have lost more matches so far than the previous 2 years combined. The pro div is DEFINANTLY tougher.

Rob and Opie have done allot with those kids I think there more of a "TEAMWORK" type team. Thats not what X-ball and 7 man formats tend to show case more. Look at what happen last year, farside sent them home in the X-ball exibition and they didnt place ONE time in Millienum Series.
10 man is like a giant chess game, x-ball and 7 man is more "in your face"paintball where Individua talent is more of a assest than "team work". Thats why I hope that some of the NXL teams like Aftershock get to play so we can test ourself's agaist them.

off the box,
Rocky

mikelynch49

Jan 15, 2003
mstsinfo.com
Roc

I don't have a problem with the "glory" thing. But we played on the NPPL field in HB so we just automatically assume that we are playing on it all year. Then all of a sudden it changes. It isn't that big of a deal but it is still an annoyance.

As far as us stepping up to "pro". I am not sure how we would do. I am sure we would step our game up and do OK. But we are certainly not to the point where we would make finals every tournament.

As for the whole Trauma thing. I played on the Dogs last year. We beat the living **** out of Trauma almost every time we played them. I believe we were 6-2 against them until I was stupid and left the team after Chicago. In Vegas they shouldn't have even made finals cause we beat them but then they were given the game because of some stupid ****. The Dogs are not better this year. They are shooting goddamn machine guns. Keep in mind everyone that the Dogs have accomplished everything they have until now by shooting pea-shooters back at laser beams. Rocky is by far one of the best captains in paintball and will always get the best out of his players. It just so happens that now he picked up a couple of new players and they are a little quicker.

Lynch
EFT

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Rocky, after watching you guys play in the finals and semis, I honestly think that you would have the edge over Trauma now.

You guys have obviously worked on your game a lot in the close season, that's for sure !

In seven man, I think you have now established yoursleves in the top three, and rightly so.
It was a pleasure to watch you guys in the final going at it - train crash paintball, I loved every minute of it :)

Rocky Knuth

Naughty Dog
Feb 27, 2003
US
www.naughtydogs.us
Lynch,

Your ruthless!:D

I think you guys would do great in the Pro div!(remember I asked you to step up!) With new additions like you and that lowerey kid that team is pretty brutal.

TJ,

Ya we will be at the PSP playing div1. I would rather play 10 man but since the "did" away with the PRO DIV thats the only place we can play.

Roc

Rocky Knuth

Naughty Dog
Feb 27, 2003
US
www.naughtydogs.us
Robbo,

Thanks! That means allot comming from a "Legend"!

We practice a lot in the off season. Stepping up to pro increased our sponsorship enabling us to play AS much as we can.

Roc

manike

INCEPTIONDESIGNS.COM
Jul 9, 2001
Cloud 9
www.inceptiondesigns.com
Originally posted by mikelynch49
As far as us stepping up to "pro". I am not sure how we would do. I am sure we would step our game up and do OK. But we are certainly not to the point where we would make finals every tournament.
Does that mean you won't step up to Pro until you feel that you will make the Pro finals every event?

Until then won't you be playing in an Amateur league where you are playing at a better level than many of the teams in the pro league, and obviously way above what should be the standard at the top in the Amateur league?

There are pro teams that won't make the finals every event.