Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Paintball Superbowl (REAL World Championship)

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Someone on Smacktalk was lamenting the end of the golden age of PB when there was one real series and real series champs in each class. I certainly understand those sentiments.

What about this: get some sponsors and promoters who aren't totally tied up exclusively in one of the two big American leagues and put on a Superbowl of PB. Make it an invitational where the champs of Millennium, NPPL S7 and PSP come and fight it out for world titles.

It could be made into some kinda compromise format, say 7-player X-ball (exactly wadidiz is not the most important point here). Put it into some gigantic dome stadium in some interesting city in say November. Perhaps NYC, Miami, Atlanta, Orlando, New Orleans, Chicago, London, Amsterdam, LA, San Francisco or maybe even Globen in Stockholm.

Whaddaya think peeps? Could be a way to bring the family together again and attract TV and some big-money outside sponsors. It'd be loads of fun.

And make it CLEAR who the world champs are.

Peace and Joy,:)

Steve

acsik

Sep 18, 2001
Hungary
Visit site
The idea is not bad :)

But in this politics ridden times I see almost no chance of that happening.

Maybe if I huff some paint thinner....maybe...but thats only inside my head :D

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Originally posted by acsik
The idea is not bad :)

But in this politics ridden times I see almost no chance of that happening.

Maybe if I huff some paint thinner....maybe...but thats only inside my head :D
Are saying that I'm huffing paint thinnner? Old fashioned model airplane glue is my poison of choice.:D

True, true, that it's a large pipe-dream. But...I've been to the mountaintop! Or, as Bob Dylan said it: "You may have some big dreams, baby, but in order to dream you gotta still be asleep."

But on the other hand, most everything, even the concept of PB, started as an idea.;)

Steve

acsik

Sep 18, 2001
Hungary
Visit site
My Old Friend

Seems that ppl get more idealistic with age :) ( I sure do)

Lets imagine the following scenario:

Jerry Braun
Chuck Hendsch
Richmond Italia
Laurent
Robbo
and anyone who "counts"....

....agreeing on the Superbowl of Paintball (putting aside their interest)

May I pass the glue? :)

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Originally posted by acsik
My Old Friend

Seems that ppl get more idealistic with age :) ( I sure do)

Lets imagine the following scenario:

Jerry Braun
Chuck Hendsch
Richmond Italia
Laurent
Robbo
and anyone who "counts"....
....agreeing on the Superbowl of Paintball (putting aside their interest)

May I pass the glue? :)
Idealistic with age? Ask Robbo. It's called cynical, but sometimes there are exceptions.

Notice what I said me boy: "...get some sponsors and promoters who aren't totally tied up exclusively in one of the two big American leagues..."

There ARE some sponsors involved in both the Yank leagues. Maybe they don't count. In absence of someone who "counts" maybe someone or someones need to make themselves count with this idea about a Superbowl of PB. Or?

Maybe romantic, naive, dreaming, but it's gotta start somewhere (even if the idea joins the junkpile along with many others).

Steve

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
It's a swell idea, Steve, for the second tier of pb but as long as the NXL succeeds that's the pinnacle of paintball because they will have the visibility and eventually all the best players. X is gonna need more than 8 teams (particularly as 3 of the current 8 are marginal IMO) and they're gonna have the means to gobble up the best of the rest. For right now how legit is NXL in the players' view with Dynasty and Strange on the sidelines?

PS-haven't you learned yet once you post something here everyone who matters will see it eventually? :p ;)

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Originally posted by Baca Loco
It's a swell idea, Steve, for the second tier of pb but as long as the NXL succeeds that's the pinnacle of paintball because they will have the visibility and eventually all the best players. X is gonna need more than 8 teams (particularly as 3 of the current 8 are marginal IMO) and they're gonna have the means to gobble up the best of the rest. For right now how legit is NXL in the players' view with Dynasty and Strange on the sidelines?

PS-haven't you learned yet once you post something here everyone who matters will see it eventually? :p ;)
What you're saying here may turn out to be true. In many ways it would be great if NXL turned into the absolute, money-generating elite league many are spouting about. But what if NPPL S7 turns out to be really successful for more than just a couple of events? And what if the 7-player part of Millennium keeps growing by leaps and bounds? Then there would continue, perhaps, to be a need, maybe even a demand, for what I'm suggesting.

"...haven't you learned yet once you post something here everyone who matters will see it eventually?"

Once again you'll have to break it down for me what you're implying here. Isn't that the whole point of making this my second home?:D

Steve

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Originally posted by Wadidiz
And what if the 7-player part of Millennium keeps growing by leaps and bounds? Then there would continue, perhaps, to be a need, maybe even a demand, for what I'm suggesting.

"...haven't you learned yet once you post something here everyone who matters will see it eventually?"

Once again you'll have to break it down for me what you're implying here. Isn't that the whole point of making this my second home?:D

Steve
I fully expect S7 to succeed and progress and see no reason why such a cumulative "championship" couldn't occur--except--
scheduling, for one. Tie in to S7 and Mil promotors, for two. Once the series are running to their regular schedules it'll be very difficult to find a suitable in-between time and agreeable to everyone location. Probably be better off using S7 finale in Miami as the championship event if such a thing were to happen.

My comment referred to your posting of same message on another forum as unnecessary and redundant. :D

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Originally posted by Baca Loco
I fully expect S7 to succeed and progress and see no reason why such a cumulative "championship" couldn't occur--except--
scheduling, for one. Tie in to S7 and Mil promotors, for two. Once the series are running to their regular schedules it'll be very difficult to find a suitable in-between time and agreeable to everyone location. Probably be better off using S7 finale in Miami as the championship event if such a thing were to happen.

My comment referred to your posting of same message on another forum as unnecessary and redundant. :D
Now you're on to something. The S7 crew are probably magnanimous enough to invite winners or finalists from other series to a PB Superbowl, and why not in Miami. I was, however, thinking of something AFTER the season ended for all 3 series.

Now I understand about the other posts. It started out with me answering a post on Smack and then deciding it should be shared with the high-brows. Don't you think there is anybody who "matters" who read Smackaroony and not P8?

Steve

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Originally posted by Wadidiz
Now you're on to something. The S7 crew are probably magnanimous enough to invite winners or finalists from other series to a PB Superbowl, and why not in Miami. I was, however, thinking of something AFTER the season ended for all 3 series.

Don't you think there is anybody who "matters" who read Smackaroony and not P8?

Steve
You've been smokin' something stronger than wacky weed if you think you're gonna get all 3 involved. Besides, from the PSP side of the triangle which "champ" is invited? Div X or 10-man?
However if you stick with 7-man, Mil season ends in September so a grand finale in October works for them. Another separate event would be stuck in mid-winter somewhere and S7 season goes from Feb. to Oct. and doesn't leave a whole lot fo time given December and holidays pretty much a non-starter I would think.

98% of Smack type with one finger or require outside assistance so the easy answer is--NO! :)

New game--it's like Where's Waldo? It's called Where's Montana? BWillie, willie careful and you might spot him somewhere.:D