Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball
Sign Up & Join In

Paintball Terminology


The best in the west!
Oct 5, 2009
Righty ho. Here is a rather long list of paintball terms, and what they mean.
If anyone thinks anything needs adding or editing, just post in the thread, and we can add it in!

Agg: If something is 'agg' it is supposed to be cool and trendy but that's down to opinion

Agitated Hoppers: Agitated hoppers are hoppers with small motors and a paddle which disrupts the natural coagulences in the hopper (when the balls get stuck against one another)

Air System: A posh name for a tank (bottle, not giant mechanized death machine) with a regulator attached (credit to glenn)

Airsmith: One who is certified to work on compressed gas lines and components such as the internal parts of a marker or an air reservoir.

Amateur: A player who has competed for more than 4 years and does not claim the rank of 'professional'

Armband: Fabric or plastic tied around your arm to denote, by colour, the team you play for.

Apex Barrel: An apex barrel is a barrel with an apex attached. Apex's are made by BT and are supposed to allow the player to curl the ball slightly by the use of ramps.

ASA: Abbreviation for 'Air Source Adapter'. This goes under your gripframe. The bottle screws into this and the macroline extends from the other end.

Autococker: The Autococker is a closed-bolt semi automatic paintball marker manufactured by Worr Game Products (WGP). It was one of the first paintball markers to be designed specifically for the sport, and has long been known throughout the paintball community for its popularity and customizability as well as its complexity. It is commonly believed that the closed-bolt design of the marker makes it inherently more accurate than its open-bolt counterparts, though this is disputed

Autocker threaded barrel: The thread used on the autococker barrel has sort of become an industry standard and so many (but not all) other paintball gun manufacturers use the cocker thread to attach the barrel to the marker. Sometimes referred to as A/C thread.

Automatic: A type of marker (or shooting mode) wherein one trigger pull results in the discharge of two or more paintballs. (This is illegal in the UK to my knowledge). Traditionally, 'Fully Automatic' means that the marker will shoot until the trigger is released.

Back Player: A competitor who plays near the rear of a team's formation, often into a support role. They usually carry a large number of extra pods in order to keep enemy players supressed and 'shoot lanes'

Ball Detent: The device in the chamber of a paintball marker that detains (holds) a paintball in the chamber until shot.

Barrel: The portion of your marker through which the paintball travels before being expelled from the marker.

Barrel Break: The name given to the occurence when a paintball breaks apart inside the barrel. This needs to be cleaned out as soon as possible via the use of squeegee's and fluffy sticks as it will hamper your consistently greatly.

Barrel Kit: A barrel kit is a kit which allows the user to bore size. Some systems do this through having a barrel back, front and an insert which goes inside the back. Others do this through having a barrel back of specific bore size and a front. (No insert).

Barrel Plug: A barrel plug is an alternative to a sock and is plugged into the end of a barrel.

Barrel Sock: Fabric pocket which goes over the end of your barrel with an elastic strap which goes around somewhere solid on your marker (gripframe for example). When it is on, it acts as a safety device, stopping a ball from exiting the barrel. Also called 'Barrel Condom'.

Barrel Threads: Only certain types of barrels will fit into certain markers and this is because of barrel threads. There are many types so before buying a barrel make sure you have the correct threads.

Batteries: Are the number one cause of all problems with electronic markers. Check your batteries before explaining your marker doesn't work.

Battle Swab: A fuzzy barrel cleaning device designed to soak up and brush away paint after barrel breaks. Can also be used to gently 'polish' barrels after use and squeegeeing.

Big Game: A game format that involves a large number of players. (Generally 75+ per team) These are also sometimes called 'Scenario Games'

Blowback Markers: An alternative to electro ones, blowback markers use a little of the excess air pressure produced from a shot to recock the marker.

Board: If someone refer's to their board, they are referring to the circuit board inside their electro marker. This interprets the eye and trigger inputs and does all the ROF and firing mode stuff.

Bonus Ball: See 'Overshooting'

Bore: The inside of your barrel. Some have straight rifling or porting and others have spiralling.

Bore Size: The exact size of the inside of your barrel.

Boring: The method of measuring the size of the paintballs you're using and using a barrel (or insert) with the closest bore size possible.

Bottle Regulator: This is the type of regulator which regulates the flow of air from the bottle into the marker.

Bottomline: The marker setup where a tank screws into an ASA under the grip frame and is thus held parallel to and inline with the marker.

Bounce: When a paintball impacts on a player then ricochets off of them without breaking.

Bounce Vest: A bounce vest is a vest worn under the jersey which helps to numb the pain of being shot in the areas it covers. Also helps to 'bounce' paintballs.

BPS: Abbreviation for Balls Per Second. This is used to describe both the speed a marker can shoot and the speed a hopper/loader can feed.

Break (paint): A mark left on a player after being shot and not bouncing.

Break (game start): The start of the game is also known as the break in speedball. When players 'break' away from the starting fence. EG. 'I got him right off the break'.

Bunker: The general term given to an obstacle behind which a player can 'take cover'.

Bunkered: To bunker is to charge towards a players bunker and either shooting him over or around it at almost point blank.

Burst Disk: A small piece of copper that covers a special hole in a tank regulator. It ruptures when the tank pressure becomes unsafe, preventing an explosion by venting the contents of the tank. A second disk (1.8k) should also be in place so that if the regulator malfunctions, it can vent the pressure preventing explosion decompression and decapitation

Can: A cyclindrical speedball bunker which resembles a can.

Chop: 'To chop a ball'. To pinch a paintball between the bolt and the feed port, breaking the ball in the chamber.

Chronograph: A device used to measure the velocity of paintballs. Comes in both a large and a handheld version.

Clamping Feedneck: This is a certain type of feedneck which clamps around the hopper, making sure the hopper stays on properly.

CO2: Carbon dioxide, warms the planet up but at the same time allows you to shoot . This is the last decades propellant, and is still used at many rental sites. However, HPA (High Pressure Air) is a little more expensive but much more reliable and much more consistent.

Compressed Air (or HPA): Compressed atmospheric air. It is the alternative to CO2 and is much better for both your marker and the environment.

Cover Fire: To 'spray' at an opponent (or group of opponents) in order to keep them in cover whilst your team mates conduct a strategic or tactical manoeuvre

Dead Box: Where players must go for the remainder of the game (or round) having been shot (presuming it is a knock out game).

Drop Forwards: A drop forward is an attachment for a marker which is attached below the grip frame where the ASA should be. Instead, the ASA is mounted onto the drop forward with the purpose of allowing the weight to balance out on the marker better.

E-Grip: Upgrade for mechanical markers such as tippmann's to enable some of the features of electronic markers on mechanical guns.

Electro: Short for electronic marker.

Electro-Pneumatic Paintball Marker: Posh name for electronic paintball marker. (Or the correct term as BOD calls it)

Eliminate: To eliminate a player is to shoot them and the paint break on them or their equipment.

Expansion Chamber: A device that gives liquid CO2 the opportunity to expand before being shot. It helps to prevent liquid CO2 from entering a marker and to make the shots slightly more consistent.

Eyes: A send and receive device in the breech of your marker that detects whether a ball is in the breach or not. This device doesn't allow the gun to fire if a ball is not fully in the breech, thus helping eliminate chops.

Feed neck: The part of the marker which the hopper attaches to. The balls in the hopper are fed down the feed neck into the breech.

Fill Nipple: A small port on a bottle reg which allows the bottle to be filled with HPA or CO2.

Fire Mode: There are various firing modes on electronic markers. Most sites impose rules on what firing modes you can use. It is your responsibility to adhere to these rules.

Flag: Rather self explanatory. A cloth or alternative which a team (or both teams) have to capture. Varies depending on game mode.

Flag Station(s): Where the flag is kept for the game.

Flank: To flank a player is to go around the side or behind and shoot them from there. Very tactical manoeuvre with good results if you can pull it off. Gaining a better angle on a player by flanking them is one of the best moves in paintball and very satisfying.

Force-fed Hoppers: These hoppers force balls down the feed neck, also with the use of a paddle and a motor. They keep a certain amount of tension on the balls so that as soon as one is shot, the next is fed into the breach. One of the faster types of hopper.

FPS: Abbreviation of "feet per second". This is the speed the paintball will shoot. Illegal for it to exceed 330 fps but different sites have different restrictions. All sites have a limit of AT LEAST 300fps, and some even lower. It is dangerous and wrong to play paintball if your marker exceeds this limit.

Front Player: Someone who plays near the front line. These are usually the fastest players on the team and carry a few pods, sacrificing fire power for manoeuvrability.

Gat: Name some people call their markers. IE. 'My new gat' possibly short for Gatling Gun.

Goggle Fan: A goggle fan is a fan which clips into certain models of goggles. They blow a small stream of air into the goggles, reducing fog.

Goggles: The most important piece of your equipment!! The eye, ear, nose, throat and face protection systems employed in paintball. Not allowed to play anywhere without them. Also called a mask or helmet.

Gravity fed Hoppers: These are the kind of hoppers which are forced upon you at rental sites. Plain and simple, gravity just feeds the balls into your marker.

Harness: Sometimes known as a "pack" a "battle pack" or "pod pack" The device players wear around their waist which carries pods of paintballs.

Hopper: The part of a marker which holds paintballs. Three types, Gravity fed, Agitated and Force Fed (see individual entries).

Hopper Cover: A piece of cloth or neoprene which covers you're hopper from damage.

Hopper Lid: The lid on a hopper. Open it, and pour a pod of paintballs in.

(Shooting) Hot: The term for a marker that shoots faster than the fps (speed) limit. The marker will need to be re-chronographed before it an be used in a game.

HydroTest: A test performed on HPA and CO2 tanks to ensure that they are safe for operation. Required by law to have these tested at dates specified on the bottles. Playing with an out of test bottle is pretty dangerous.

Inline Regulator: This type of reg is mounted on most electronic markers in the fore grip position. These allow the player to adjust the markers velocity.

Jersey: A paintball jersey is the top half of a player's gear and is usually paded around the shoulders and chest.

Kneepads: Quite self explanatory. Kneepads protect your knees from sliding and other injuries. Important bit of safety equipment presuming you'd like knees left at the end of a tournament.

Lane: An open corridor between two bunkers. If you are "shooting a lane" you are shooting a stream of paint down this corridor, stopping the other team moving through the lane, or tagging the player if he tries to.

Lense: The clear plastic part on a pair of goggles which you can see through. Single lenses and thermal lenses are the two common types.

Loader: See 'Hopper'

Low Pressure Regulator (LPR): Most electro's have a low pressure reg (LPR) which regulates and lowers the high pressure air coming from the bottle/tank and into the workings of the gun.

LPR: Abbreviation for 'Low Pressure Regulator'

Lube: Short for lubricant. (NO, not that kind of lubricant you sick-minded people ) This keeps the marker working nice and fluently. It is very important to lube the moving orings of your marker as per the instruction manual.

The Manual: This is the instruction manual that came with your marker. If you dont have one, ask online as they are available generally somewhere.

Marker: (other names include gun/gat/shooter etc) The device we shoot with! Better to call it a marker than a gun so ol' Sally over there doesn't think we're terrorists when we're talking about our markers.

Mid Player: Otherwise known as an insert player. A balance between back player and front player. Carry an intermediate amount of paint. This player can insert into any position on a field say for example your front player is shot out.

Mine: Quite self explanatory. A paint grenade or other device which is rigged to go off in the proximity of players.

Neck Guard: Safety equipment in the form of a neoprene strap that wraps loosely around a player's neck to protect the player's neck from paintballs.

NEWBIE: A player who has seldom or never played before. Also called a Noob.

Novice: a player who has competed for a couple of years.

Off-Hand: The hand a player would not normally shoot with. Usually less accurate with it.

On/Off ASA: This is a type of ASA which can easily be disconnected from the bottle. However, you still have to vent the air inside the marker by dry-firing.

OOPS: Abbreviation for 'On/Off Purge System'. Does the same job as an On/Off ASA however it also purges the remaining pressure.

Open Class: Form of pump playing whereby players must use a pump, constant air (IE mounted bottle) and hoppers not ten shot tubes.

Open Play: A game where teams can be made up on the spot. Usually no reservations. Also called scratch teams.

O-Ring: A ring of plastic that is used to seal connections where HPA goes. Found all over the place. The bolt, Regulator, Bottle etc.

Out: If a player is out, he is eliminated.

Overboring: Overboring is the idea of boring, except with the use of a barrel with a larger bore size. Therefore, a higher % of paint will shoot through it. If it is too tight/small, paint wont go through it easily and may break.

Overshooting: When a player continues to shoot a player even when he is out.

Pack: Same as harness.

Paint Check: When a referee inspects a player to see if the player has been hit. You can call a paint check on either yourself or an opponent if you think you have shot them or them you.

Paint grenade: A throw able, fused device which contains a liquid fill similar to a paintballs fill and a small explosive compound which launches the encapsulated paint.

Pants: Paintball pants are the bottom half of a player's outfit and is padded around several areas such as the knees and shins. This is an American term for trousers, which has transferred over here with paintball.

Penalty: Penalising a player for breaking the rules such as wiping or talking to other players when eliminated. Can include point subtraction, instant eliminations and ejection from events.

Playing on: When a player continues to play or shoot when eliminated.

Pod: Cylindrical pod which holds paintballs. Come in 10 shot tubes, 100 shot pots and 140 shot pots. Or the posh locklids which hold 160 balls i believe.

PSI: Abbreviation for Pounds per Square Inch, referring to the pressure of gases such as in a tank or regulator.

Pull-Through Squeegee: A pull-through squeegee is a device you insert into the barrel and pull it through the other end. It has rubber discs that will pull through any broken paintballs/debris leaving the barrel clean.

Pump: A type of marker where a pump arm must be cycled fore and aft to cock the marker and load a paintball into the chamber for each shot.

Ramping: Ramping is a firing mode which allows the user to go into higher rate of fire than the player is pulling the trigger. The player first has to reach a set ROF in semi-automatic and then maintain a speed.

Rate of Fire: Or ROF for short. Number of balls a marker can shoot in a second. The answer is measured in BPS (Balls Per Second).

Recball: Short for recreational paintball. These are the informal games played among friends or during open play.

Reg: Short for 'Regulator'

Regulator: A device which alters or regulates the pressure of the propellant. Several types (see individual entries); Bottle Regulators, Inline Regulator, ASA's and Low Pressure Regulators. Also known as a reg.

Remote Line/hose: A remote line is an alternative to mounting the bottle directly onto a marker. Instead, a remote line/hose can be fitted and the bottle to the end of that, allowing the air system to be mounted to the player's back in a vest.

Rookie: A player who has not played for a year yet.

Scenario Game: A game format where players must complete objectives (sometimes two or more at once) such as capturing a base in order to win. These games also usually have a theme such as a historic battle or a film etc. Can sometimes involve squads etc in the case of Milsim games.

Scenario Marker: A scenario marker is a marker which is designed to look like a real gun. They are usually mechanical however, they can be upgraded with e-grips.

Semi Automatic: The firing mode when one ball is fired per pull of the trigger.

Shroud: A shroud is an attachment for scenario markers which is supposed to make them look like real guns.

Snake: A type of bunker which is normally low and long. Particularly effective running along the tape line of a paintball field. Crawl down it, and you can be in the enemies half of the field.

Snapshooting: Quickly leaning out of your bunker, shooting, then ducking back in.

Speedball: A paintball format played on a small field with bunkers, sparse or no brush, few trees and short time limits.

Sponsorship: When a company provides a player or team with free or discounted goods in return for services and using them for promotional reasons.

Squeegee: A plastic device featuring one or more rubber disks used to clean paint from barrels after barrel breaks and chops. Also called a pull through.

Stock Class: Stock paintball is a set of rules which stock players have to adhere to. Their marker has to be a pump, horizontal paintball feed holding less than 20 paintballs and be powered by a single 12g cartridge.

Sweet Spotting: The idea of shooting a place in anticipation of a player moving there in the hope of hitting them.

Thermal Lense: A thermal treated lense are a vast improvement on standard lenses. This is a dual pane lense which helps reduce "fogging up" of your mask.

Tank: A bottle which hold HPA or CO2.

Tapeline: The edges of the field of play which is usually marker with coloured tape.

Tournament: A structured competition wherein multiple players or teams compete, sometimes for a cash, gear or sponsorship award, Usually played in the speedball format.

Trade-off: When two players shoot each other at the same time. Also known as a "trade out"

Trigger Bounce: When two shot's are fired with one pull of the trigger when the marker is on semi-automatic. Can happen for various reasons.

Tunnel Vision: When a player becomes so engrossed with eliminating a single target that they forget about everyone and everything else.

Valve: A device that controls the flow of gas. These are found in most things which gas flows through.

Velocity: The speed at which an object such as a paintball travels.

Walk-on's: A walkon is a day in which players are free to bring their own gear and buy paintballs at highly discounted prices.

Whip: Name some people call their marker's. IE, 'Look at my new whip'.

Woodsball: Paintball played in woodland, with generally longer time limits.

Hope this helps you guys! :D
Last edited by a moderator:


The best in the west!
Oct 5, 2009
Yep sure, that was the original intention! I know there's a lot of terms missing so to make this as comprehensive and helpful as possible was the plan. :)


Active Member
Jul 1, 2009
What I think you could do is seperate out some of the terms. Terms like 'Cover fire' and 'harness' aren't unique to paintball and have alternative words, but terms like 'Overboring' and 'agitated hopper' are mostly unheard of and don't really have any other common term.
I really should be working so I posted some correction/additions.
Hope its helpful.

Eyes: An infra red transmitter and receiver arranged in the breach of an electronic marker to sense the presence, absence or movement of a paintball. Used in electronic markers to reduce the likelihood of chopping a paintball before it has settled in the breach.
Also Used in the feednecks of some electronic loaders to determine when to feed more paintballs.

Fire mode: How the users trigger pulls are translated into paintballs fired by the marker. There are various firing modes on some electronic and mechanical markers.
Most sites impose rules on what firing modes you can use.

LPR: Abbreviation for 'Low Pressure Regulator'. A secondary regulator, which usually regulates the air pressure used to move the bolt, rather than the gas that propells the ball..

QEV: Stands for quick exhaust valve - Provides a quick route to vent excess pressure 'downstream' (after the QEV), when the air is vented 'upstream' (before the QEV).
Often used to augment the flow rate of a solenoid.


The best in the west!
Oct 5, 2009
Ah. Thanks for those mate. I'll add those in next time I'm on my laptop. (using iPhone and editing is a right pain).