Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Paintball: We’ve Got a Problem!

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
At the end of this month, I got an article coming out in PGI that basically gives an outline of what I believe we need to do if we are to save Euro paintball from a bleak period that almost certainly lies ahead if things pan out as they look as though they are going to next year.

What lies at the heart of this problem are two significant factors; the first is the diminishing turnovers in the US whereby the US paintball industry has seen a downturn in sales of reportedly between 25 – 30 %.
The second is the impending war between the NPPL and Millennium that is to be fought upon the fields of Europe come 2006.

Some people might remark that for the teams, this can only be good because competition is good; well sometimes it is but in other cases it can prove disastrous.

With budgets now being reigned in, the last thing a prospective vendor or sponsor needs right now is another big time tourney to attend where it has the added expense of setting up booths etc, the US counterpart model of the PSP and NPPL has shown that the industry will have little stomach for a split tourney circuit in Europe especially in times as they are now.

One of the prime motives for integration in the US for the PSP and NPPL is one of financial expediency on behalf of the industry and yet, Europe looks as though we are shaping up to make the self-same mistake and we are supposed to learn from history not ignore it.

The main dynamic for this impending war in Europe is one of a lack of ability to find a solution to integrating the interests of the NPPL and the existing Millennium promoters.
The recent attempt by the NPPL to join forces was a little heavy handed to say the least and ended up pissing off the Millennium boys whereby the greater consideration for both parties ended up being flushed down the bog-hole.

Each party was in their own little box and reacted accordingly and the route they are about to take is gonna be the most damndest, stoopidest, God forsaken course we have ever knowingly undertook and is second only in the stupidity stakes to thinking Ryan Greenspan has hit puberty.

If we go down this road of conflict it will put Euro Paintball back 5 years when we need to be looking at consolidation and improvement rather than what we face now.
Companies who sponsor events and vendors will face a decision of whether to back one of the series or both.

Now normally, like 2 years ago, the industry would have gotten behind both series as they did in the US but the commercial landscape has changed and I’m afraid there is no way all the industry who sponsor the Millennium at present are gonna be getting behind the NPPL.
Some of them, a significant number, will choose one or the other.
Now, once this has happened, revenue streams for the promoters will not be enough to make either series viable and that’s without the inevitable loss of team’s entry fees who also won’t be able to afford both.

On several levels this just doesn’t work and whilst the alarm bells may be tinkling in the heads of all those involved, they obviously ain’t ringing loud enough.

The strategy that the Millennium guys are employing is one of, ‘Bollocks, we are gonna do our thing and they can do theirs’…and this has to be a default strategy because little else is open to them if the NPPL don’t wanna discuss integration anymore.

The NPPL sure ain’t gonna be put off by the failure of any assimilation talks and will forge ahead and I’m pretty sure may see the invasion of Europe as another loss leader for the first year and hope their undoubted standards of tournaments they put on as the genesis for killing off the Millennium and eventually taking over.

This strategy is working in the US whereby they have turned their loss making freshman year into a significant income stream and most definitely in the driving seat when it comes to sitting down with their PSP counterparts.

And so, as paintball teams, what the hack we gotta worry about?
We can pick and choose which one we go to and eventually if the NPPL is victorious, we can all go there.
It’s the ‘eventually’ bit that worries me in that it’s so frikkin unnecessary.

It’s brinkmanship and the likes of the industry, the teams and the promoters all stand to lose something as this war unfolds and eventually resolves itself.

What I have written in this month’s PGI article outlines a scenario whereby ALL the Euro teams (with the possible exception of the Russian Legion) start to back Europe.
Without going into too much detail at this point, even the Euro NPPL teams need to refocus if we are to create a coherent European destiny and to do that, we need a coherent tournament circuit with a viable industry supporting tournaments, teams and players.

Resources are now getting thinner on the ground and belts are being tightened up everywhere, this is fact.
Only a couple of the big companies have registered positive growth this last year, things ain’t gonna stay the same, trust me.
If anybody needs any proof or indication that all is not well in the industry as a whole then just cast your eye toward PMI and NPS and their proposed unification.

That said, even though we have this negative backdrop to proceedings, it doesn’t necessarily mean we have to compound our problems by reopening European theatres of war, it’s just tempting fate.
The Millennium for all their faults, and let’s face it, their shortcomings were pretty petty and nothing really major or systemic, have done a great job in recent times.

I certainly have had my problems with some of them but once again, they are on petty issues but I didn’t really lose sight of what they have achieved.

The NPPL’s record in the US is outstanding and one might think, the combination would be the way to go instead of an all out war but I’m afraid common sense is so easily projected into outer space when disagreement and acrimony set in.

The article in PGI goes into a lot more detail and the only reason I am posting this up here is because after talking to Duffy, we both felt that you guys could help in the process of sorting this sh!t out.
Believe it or not, the powers that be in both the Millennium and NPPL do read these pages on P8ntballer.com and in PGI and as such, if we can create sufficient popular momentum we can hopefully influence proceedings.

The basis of what I wrote in the article is that we need to appoint a singular voice in the Millennium in that Laurent is that sole voice and controller
He has proved time and again that he is the man when it comes to putting on a tourney, his vision of our sport and its ultimate direction are unique.

If we look toward any process of unification or association between the NPPL and Millennium it needs to be done with Ged Green of Pure Promotions (NPPL) talking to Laurent alone.
To try and extract agreement from five or so Euro promoters is about as easy as getting Piper onto a diet that doesn’t include a minimum of 300 pounds of buffalo-meat pies per month, in other words, it ain’t happening.

I am saying Laurent needs to take control of the Millennium with the other promoters being instrumental in promotions and not decision-making in terms of negotiation and direction.
Once this has been done, the Millennium then need to create a circuit that is consistent with its best tournaments and so create for the players and sponsors, a much more attractive product that rivals the NPPL US events.

I have suggested keeping the Paris tournament and making a lot more of the Malaga event and looking for 3 other locations that can obviously still be run by the other promoters but are a lot more in keeping with where we want paintball to go.

There may well be another promoter becoming involved in the Millennium and I believe this new promoter definitely wants us to create our own destiny and go the same way as I am suggesting, the irony is, he’s American.

Exciting things are possible and are achievable in the short term if we are both sensible and pragmatic and put aside all the bollocks that seems to permeate paintball at times.

With Laurent’s new playing surface that we saw in Paris, it opens up the possibility of beach events a lot more and also other more exciting locations.
If we do a bit of work in new site selection, the European tournament bandwagon can really get rolling; it’s merely a matter of actually doing it.

We got the brains and imagination in the Millennium guys, we got the player base and teams, we need to keep the industry unified in terms of where to support, we don’t fackin need another war in Europe, we really don’t need one.

Ged, Millennium guys, it’s up to you lot, you can either go at it or you can work together for the benefit of all, the choice is simple, the actions somewhat more difficult but certainly not impossible, nowhere frikkin near.

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
Interesting, and IMHO rather insightful Pete. A couple of things come to mind on my initial reading, in no particular order.
I would like to suggest adding one more person to the mix - a negotiations person who has no axe to grind in either direction, a complete neutral. I know this would be a difficult person to find in paintball as just about everyone who has any influence or is respected will have an association with one body or another in some form (even if only mates with company owners or something), but maybe even someone from outside the industry could be found.
An initial problem I see is overcoming the egos of the other Millennium promoters, and the fact that for some reason our sport seems to be more suspicious than most (maybe with reason?) that others will try to damage them and their businesses. I don't think I know of any major player (in industry terms) who would be happy to leave the whole decision making process for something that will affect their business in the hands of someone else - no matter who - who might have a vested interest themselves.
An example of this would be say, in the "new order" of Millennium & NPPL combined there is only room for 2 of the Germany, France, UK and Spain/Portugal promoters to hold an event. If Laurent is the person responsible for doing all the negotiating on behalf of the existing Millennium promoters, then the others will automatically assume that France is going to be OK because it's Laurent's event. Then I would see the manouvering between the other 3 organisers as to who will get the remaining event and whoever does get it, the accusations will be of bias or bribery whatever the reason was for choosing it over the others.

Obviously I'm not in the loop when it comes to the major league politics, so refresh my memory as to why the original NPPL/Millennium negotiations broke down. Was it mainly because the NPPL went in with lead boots on & started dictating to the fragile egos of the Millennium how things would be?

Chicago

Jan 31, 2005
Visit site
The NPPL contract for affiliate leagues in the US is, simply put, ridiculous. It's not like Millenium is the only league telling them to screw off - EXL and Bunkerfest come to mind stateside.

Robbo is right on about two leagues in Europe, although I think he's got slightly different reasons. My main reason: There simply is not the volume of international level tournament players in Europe to support two leagues. It's going to be a "Who can throw the most money at this" brawl (read: who can continue to run half-full events at a loss the longest), a brawl which Millenium will lose.

Although I suppose Laurent could just stop giving them bunkers. :)

There is no way NPPL and PSP combine though.

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Chi town, I actually do mention in there somewhere about the number of teams being split and hurting both series (I didn't miss it, you should know me better than that :) ) and regarding the NPPL and PSP joining, it's not 'if' mate, it's 'when'.......trust me.

Liz Re the person who should oversee proceedings between Ged and Laurent, there is only one...and he sits in his bank in Moscow.......

And as for the reasons why the Millennium / NPPL negotiations primarily broke down...well let's say a more subtle and less demanding approach may have paid better dividends.

Chicago

Jan 31, 2005
Visit site
You mean the "sell us your soul or we'll destroy you" approach wasn't effective? ;)

As for NPPL/PSP, even if they were to merge, which I think is a longshot, someone else will start a national-level legue. There's just too much demand.

Best thing PSP could do for itself though is ditch NXL. Get all the Pro teams back in one division.

Gyroscope

Pastor of Muppets
Aug 11, 2002
Colorado
www.4q.cc
PSP and NPPL unification.

I've been thinking that uniformity of rules might benefit everyone, as it makes it easier for outsiders to grasp the game with one major varient and allows some one-to-one comparison in teams. It also makes training a bit less complex.

Perhaps reunification could operate like this: West conference and East conference. The PSP seems more focused on the east coast and midwest, while the NPPL seems more focused on the west coast and Florida. If most of the season were run with tandem events in different regions, under the same banner, using the same format, more teams could participate, the two leagues could be one, with one enormous year end event mid-country somewhere (say, Denver? :) ).

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by Chicago
You mean the "sell us your soul or we'll destroy you" approach wasn't effective? ;)

As for NPPL/PSP, even if they were to merge, which I think is a longshot, someone else will start a national-level legue. There's just too much demand.

Best thing PSP could do for itself though is ditch NXL. Get all the Pro teams back in one division.
Chi town, you seem to be missing the point mate, there may well be enough teams to create another league if the NPPL and PSP did combine but it's what the pros do that creates the dominant force here.
If both leagues combine then all the pros would be under one umbrella and therefore would be the dominant circuit.

The NXL may well get jettisoned in its present form but I believe an XBall type format will prevail in any unfied structure, it just remains to be seen which teams would be represented in any superleague.

As for Europe, our history is littered with idiotic decisions dictating our fate, let's hope we can kick the habit allowing common sense to prevail for once.

Chicago

Jan 31, 2005
Visit site
Originally posted by Robbo
Chi town, you seem to be missing the point mate, there may well be enough teams to create another league if the NPPL and PSP did combine but it's what the pros do that creates the dominant force here.
If both leagues combine then all the pros would be under one umbrella and therefore would be the dominant circuit.

But what determines where the pros play? Pros like to play just as much as anyone else. And pros like money just as much as anyone else. I don't seee how if another league popped up where Dynaasty could win $25,000 per event Dynasty wouldn't play. They play UAPL, right?

The NXL may well get jettisoned in its present form but I believe an XBall type format will prevail in any unfied structure, it just remains to be seen which teams would be represented in any superleague.
Indeed, XBall isn't going anywhere, it's just too good. For playing.

But let's look at it from an event perspective. NPPL runs 6 fields per event now, right? That gets them about 200 teams. Their average entry fee is about, what, $1800?

Now, lets take that same space, 6 fields for 10 hours a day, and run X-Ball. Even if we ignore that you can't fill up those fields towards the end of the event due to double elimination format (except sunday, where we'll say half of the fields are used, which is generous), that only gets you 150 matches worth, or about 80 teams. That puts your entry fee at ... $4500 average to keep the same revenue. Plus you gotta pay more for judges.

People tend to gloss over three key differences between NPPL and PSP:

- NPPL starts play on Friday, so it's easier for people to play
- NPPL teams only need 8 guys, so it's even easier to play
- NPPL charges a lot more money per player, and a LOT more money per minute of field time, so they have a lot more money to spend on all those things that many people say makes NPPL better than PSP.

Two leagues is good, because there's a league for people wiling to pay more for what NPPL provides, and there's a league for people who would rather play less and get the basics (field, air, ref).

The other thing I'm missing here is - what do either NPPL or PSP gain by merging? NPPL gets a better format, but they could just create a better format on their own. PSP gets.. what, loss of control to NPPL?

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
Unfortunately I still see the same reasons now why I doubt any of the major leagues will merge as I have in the past, namely the egos of the various promoters combined with their love of power and influence. These attributes aren't particularly bad things - they are probably the main reasons the promoters managed to get the leagues where they are today - but they don't exactly encourage people to share the control, the power and the glory with anyone else. It's a miracle that the Millennium Series actually managed to get created then stay together!

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
OK, you have to look at an any impending unification from the point of view of the major influences that are being bought to bear and these have nothing to do with the top teams.

The industry is much better served if there is one coherent tournament structure, it makes no sense to support two in terms of sponsorship and booth attendance when one is sufficient.

As to your initial point of where the pros play, the resultant unified series would provide of course, commensurate prize packages and would of course dominate because of pro team presence, existing tournament infrastructure and industry support.
I don't really see the point you are making here because of course any body could start up an alternate if they wanted to, and if the prize packages were big, it might well tempt the pros to also play them, but if my aunt had nuts she'd be my uncle.
The possibilities of what might happen won't affect what will happen.

As for the rest of your post......differences maybe glossed over but these are I'm afraid cosmetic when macro influences are being bought to bear rather than details...

You need to look at what Ged on one side is after as against what the PSP needs…when you look at it from that perspective and on that level, the details you mention will fall into place as merely considerations during the process and little more than that.