The Home Of European Paintball

Portugal..

Recoil

EBlade *fap*
Apr 26, 2002
Coventry
Visit site
Originally posted by Paintnerd
The great marshalling at Huntington Beach was not the PRO marshalls in the first hand. It was Joy Division and some other Swedish tournament players. They could have been biased because they have their friends and favourites on both sides of the big pond. But they weren't. (Might change after Portugal.) They are good marshalls because they know the game, know the rules and choose not to be partial. Either that or they do a damned good job of hiding it when they help a friend or hurt an enemy.
I know it wasnt pro refs (not talking about the PRO ref org that was set up) I seem to remember it was said the marshaling in HB was actually quite good.. and going to make the point that good marshalling can happen

angel

welcome to the party
Jul 8, 2001
york
SORRY MAY BE OUT OF ORDER

I CAN ONLY SPEAK FOR MY SELF AND NOT MY TEAM ???
I NOTICED THAT IF YOU SPOKE THE LANGUAGE OF THE REFS ,ITS WAS A LITTLE EASIER TO WIN THE GAMES??
MAY BE THIS IS NOT EVERY ONE'S OPINION.
I MARSHALLED CAMPAIGN LAST YEAR AND THOUGHT I DID A O.K JOB , FAIR IF YOU WERE ENGLISH , FRENCH , GERMAN , RUSSIAN , AMERICAN ,ETC.
IT STRUCK ME THAT IN PORTUGAL , I HATE TO SAY A BIAS ATTITUDE CAME INTO PAINTBAL FOR THE FIRST TIME I HAVE EVERY SEEN.
MAY BE I AM WORNG BUT THIS IS WHAT IT APPEARD TO BE .
ANY FEED BACK WOULD BE APPRECIATED
CHEERS ANGEL

angel

welcome to the party
Jul 8, 2001
york
i agree nick

i agree nick, may be a diffrent language was being spoken in london and i didnt under stand.
but i was playing lisbon a d the general language was english , most of the marshal's asked both teams if there spoke english , like it was the official language.
i don't mean to be a typical brit by saying that our language should be the official langauage but even teams that spoke english as a second language seemed to switch at the decision stage of the tourny (I.E captains at start and end of game ).
i can only speak to what i have seen .
a one for one incident was going to be done at the end of the game and when the player (not the captain )
spoke to the marshall in french he was allowed off with it .
we also got told that novice teams were not to be 1 for 1 because there were novice???????.
there are serious issue here and i appreciate that mistakes have been made before and will be made again
(we are only human )
but were we go from here could set the standard for the rest of the millenium series.
i am awiting some higher order to make a call and if it was for the good i would support it 100%.
thank you
angel

sjt19

May 23, 2002
Visit site
Angel !

Originally posted by Nick Brockdorff
paintball maybe needs an "official language" !
I was under the Impression that ALL marshalling teams had to be able to speak English.....therefore English is the Official Language of the Miullennium series...??

sam

jotajotaZ

Feb 7, 2003
Spain
www.ninatoz.org
i agree nick

Originally posted by angel
we also got told that novice teams were not to be 1 for 1 because there were novice???????.
We got 1-for-1ed in our game against you, it was a completely fair call: playing on, obvious hit even when my mate did not see it (it was on his knee and he didn't feel the hit).

We would have protested such a stupid rule in case someone would have told us. Novice teams at a Millennium have been playing for maybe one or two years at local competitions (for what I see on Spanish teams) so they are not completely novices and know what to expect.

I didn't like marshalling at some times during the competition but it would have really pissed me if I knew that we were being treated differently for being a novice, be it in our favour or not.

angel

welcome to the party
Jul 8, 2001
york
i agree all teams pro and novice should be treated the same

i car'nt comment on our game because it would'nt be fair. i can only say that in our novice game that i was in , is what we were told?
well like there say , you carnt beat the marsahll's and to be honest i dont wish to , there r there for a professional job and i respect all marshall's that do the job (professionaly).
i am not sure i have the answer to the difficult question of the marshalling issue , i just hope some wise person does.
thank you
angel

Jaime Menino

Jun 19, 2002
Lisbon, Portugal
Hi after reading some posts from some of our know ballers and players that attended the Mega this last weekend.

I just don’t understand all the bull.... that is been thrown in Pedro’s direction. And in PORTUGAL ways

I totally agree with what Magued said about the reffs, the teams just didn’t give "110%". I believe that some of them weren’t been biased they were just bad refs.
But some of them just didn’t give a dam about doing a moderate job.

Toilets, ok there were only 4, but I used them all the 4 days, and didn’t had a problem, they were always clean, and there was not a line, in any of the times I went there.

Bad weather, surely they could be more prepared for the Saturday. But if the fields were on time maybe the players wouldn’t have to play in the rain Saturday (the only rainy day).
They tried to come up with a solution for the mud problem in Sunday with the grass stacks.

About sponsor and banner wise, that is not my problem as a player, or my team problem.

The most important thing that bothers me was the fact that JT field only was ready Friday night because of the “incomplete” Maya temple.

To be honest I don’t give a rat squat if there isn’t another millennium in Portugal (2004 will be in Spain, and we really doubt that it will ever return) just do it for the right reasons, you don’t need to trash someone’s name or even the country… And please be sure that a lot of the foreign players did give a spectacle in the fields and of the fields especially Monday. Just a tip, you can also drink water, or learn to drink alcohol.

Also the most amazing thing is that there are some events in the past like this, but some personalities decide to crucify this event. Hope you win something out of it!

And know I ask you:
Didn’t you play all the 10 games in the Pre. ?
Wasn’t the player’s staging area big enough ad sheltered from the rain? (We had 2 tables clear near us).
Didn’t the w.c. ´s serve the purpose?

By the way my team (Trolls) doesn’t play with Tomahawk paint or is sponsored by Estratego.

You might have not liked one MegaCampeonato, and sure is a shame that one bad event as tarnish all the others in Portugal, at least in some people’s minds. As I said in the podium hope to see you in Zap European Amateur Open 2003 in Algarve, Portugal.

Best Regards
Jaime Menino
Trolls

Jaime

As nick said, we are not slating the event for fun you know. The specific problems should never have occured.
The toilets were not great, one was overflowing and I queued on at least three occasions.
The players set-up tent was a muddy quagmire which was way too crowded and where too much kit was stolen from, we moved out to stage with our sponsors purely for security reasons (I know this is against the new rules but rather that than lose a gun to some light fingered little sh*t).
The netting was a joke, I have a stonger arial on my car than was used to hold that netting up. It had been raining for 2 weeks and it obvioulsy came as a shock that netting get heavier in rain (Pedro was at Amsterdam last year - lesson not learnt?)
The judging was the worst I have seen for a long time, when watched from the sidelines it was, at best, farsical.
The schedule was rediculous, they re-issued a new timed schedule on Sunday afternoon and, when released to the teams, it was already 1hr30mins behind the new times. Teams were being called for games that were 4 games ahead of what was being played out on the fields and worst of all, fields were allowed to get out of sync with each other so you had no idea which game came next.
Finally, and safety wise this was the worst, Pedro added staff to the fields to do chrono and armbanding late on Sunday (bolt, horse, stable?) but they had no clue what to look for, guns could've been running at 900 fps and these guys wouldn't have a clue. Here's a hint, if its too dark to read the chrono then its too dark to play.

Rant over, roll on Germany.

Jaime Menino

Jun 19, 2002
Lisbon, Portugal
Hey guys! Don´t think I don´t feel a bit ripped of.
I´ve been a spectator of the last 2 mega´s (2001, and 2002), and what I got as a player this year wasn´t even a slight image of the other two.

I truly believe that some things could be made better by the Estratego organization.
I was saturday afternoon al soaking wet in mud with 3 wins in 3 games, and just wanting to get the hell out of the rain, wich I was under in first place because of the very badly field delays and not be able to be in the stagging area wainting for an annoucement, because there wasn´t any, until sunday morning Bea Youngs started doing them. By the way muchos kudos to her, she´s got my total admiration and respect as a player and as "paintball persona".

But I truly believe if the event didn´t add that rainny saturday, half of the complaints wouln´t appear. By the way today, the next saturday, it´s a freaking hot sun.
So if you want Pedro´s head do it for the right reasons that are is obligations:
Nettings...
Toilets...
Not reffing.
Not millennium board issues.
Not millennium series sponsors issues. Thats their problems (Millennium board and local organization).
By the way if you thaugt that this was bad, I invite anyone who wants to check a "local" (Portugal) event organized by him. So has you can see I´m the first to criticize if necessary...

The association with the EXL "failure" as some apointed.
I´ll shed some light on this.
Fryday the 2 games on schedule were played.
The other 2 games for sunday were postponed because (at least that was what I as tolded and I can confirm part of it), there wouldn´t be any public there was a soccer match on the tv (Portugal vs Brazil) no Portuguese guy would leave is tv to see anyone shooting paint (I would!).

Robbery - Please keep a thread with robbed stuff descrition and serial, also special "marks" or signatures on the material.
But the worst is that probably who stole your goods was also a player. :mad: :(
I´ve warned some teams to not leave anything in the cars in the parking lot.
And in my team I warned to not leave surplus material in the table or in sight.
But I think that this was also a failure as them (org) could get a line of railings and a guy cheking player cards.

The card situation - How do you think I feel I´ve paid 25 (5 off) euros for a card that wasn´t even checked once.

Ascutt - Yes the judging was all that and more, but has Magued said, you can´t blame the organization for it, the local organization even tried to get some guys (the guys with no knowledge...) to speed up the fields.

Cheers
Jaime Menino

P.S. Nick my team was stagging near you guys just send my regards to all of you, you are all great guys. Hope to see you soon! Saw your game against RL. You guys were smoking.

Russ. M

Morning Wood - Void
Sep 9, 2002
Taunton, south west
its not as though its a select few who are trashing this event.

in the staging area saturday night someone shouted "who wants their money back" and i've never heard such a cheer in any of the events i've been.

we only played 3 games on saturday and had a THREE hour wait in the mud. this can only come down to poor organisation.

from frozen burgers to diabolical marshaling this tournament was the worst millenium i have been to.

i have read what nick and ascutt have posted and i agree 100%

i am looking forward to maxes, last year was great and hopefully this year will be too!