Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Regional location?

dodge-gnome

Save a rock, throw an Ion
Nov 13, 2010
Gloucestershire
Not quite sure how this is going to sound, what i have in my head will probably be different to what it sounds like on screen.
But aah well, here we go.

An idea i had was to categorise people by area, which would be represented on a map. For example, we already have the "location" part on our profile, but that doesn't really help much. But if there were a subsection for example; "insert your nearest city" or whatever, it could help new people determine how many are near them.

An example of this is a member recently messaged me who was also from the gloucestershire region which suprised me. Now, as far as i'm aware - Paintball is as popular in this area as a tippmann98 is in a Div 1 tournament. Apart from my team (which is university based), there was nobody :p

But in this map for example, if i were to select say Reading on this magical-map of information, it could say "there are X amount of ballers (registered here) within 20 miles of this city" or "X amount Y distance from you"

Although this may not seem crucial, it could be useful for players in the less populated areas, who are looking for people for a team, or someone to carpool with?

Just an idea floating through my head (also an excellent way to procrastinate from doing my dissertation :D ) Ideas or feedback would be appreciated :)

dodge-gnome

Nov 13, 2010
Gloucestershire
But not everyone's part of a team, or linked to one. Plus things like that arn't really obvious to someone new to the site.
I see lots of posts from people asking "hi is there anyone from ..... area" with not much success.

dodge-gnome

Nov 13, 2010
Gloucestershire
I figured a map of the uk, with the regions split up into counties, each which would serve as a grouping system or something. Could possibly colour-code it based on how many people are in each region. Just makes it a lot easier being about to look around and at surrounding counties.

Random Invert

Oct 27, 2008
N.Wales - Wrexham
www.outpostpaintball.co.uk
It's a tidy idea but not sure how feasable it is to integrate a mapping system into a vb board unless they've released an add on.

Do you think people would sign up to the map? I can imagine members who use the boards on a regular basis would sign up but short term users ie sign up asking the fundemental questions wouldn't bother.

Is there any free sites that offer mapping and just link to it in a regional thread?