Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Rookie Team Tips

Andretti

Aug 21, 2002
Western Hemisphere
Visit site
Me and some guys are setting up a rookie team for a tournament series in 2003. We have been recballing for 1-2 years and want to be a very competitive team. We all have played speedball, but lack the teamwork we believe is needed for us to be a good team. If any experienced tournament player could give us any helpfull advice we would appreciate it.

Problem

Oct 5, 2001
Visit site
Not a pro, but some experience

There's a difference between being competitive and really going for it. Being competitive, you'll want weekly practices and then weekly meetings.

Weekly practices should include one person watching the others and telling them real time how to improve. Don't run a drill and then go take a break, rerun and rerun it until they're exhausted. Drills can be anything from two on ones, one vs one snap shooting, and break outs where everyone's job is to get to their primary and yet know where every opponent went too.

Weekly meetings should discuss the setup for the next practice and how everything is going to be afforded. If you want a sponsership from a local field (your post didn't have much on your current setup), work AS A TEAM twice a month at the field in exchange for free air, free access, maybe a bit of paint.

Always move as a team; you don't leave the field after a drill or game until you're together, you don't leave the staging area until each person is ready. Move as a team whether or not you like each other.

The flip side is the really going for it. In that case, get rid of someone without the finandical resources or basic skill sets. Friendship doesn't matter if you're really going for it. Set up a dues payment system with a certain cash amount payed at each meeting into a central pot that pays for paint, tourney entry, whatever. When you enter a tourney, everyone buys a case of paint but the paint is shared between all (backers may use alot more but they're providing the others with cover fire, so it all evens out).

Be prepared for the up and down cycle where you are either building a team up or starting a new one. Rarely do teams stay together for any period.

Just some tidbits, sorry if this is all obvious and known to you, hopefully something to help in there. By the way, I prefer the competitive approach of getting guys together to play without going nuts on the setup, but I believe in the really going for it in how I personally prepare myself to play.

Good luck,
Larry Janecka

Andretti

Aug 21, 2002
Western Hemisphere
Visit site
Thanks for the advice. We will be up against some much more experienced, sponsored teams with better equiptment so we will be realistic about our chances. This will be more of a learning experience but we will try our best and see where we place among other teams.

John_Wilson

Will mark for money!
May 22, 2002
Visit site
Better equipment

In my opinion ( I could be seen to be wrong here) but if you play with low end markers (TFX etc) then you will have to be a "better" player as you won't have the range ( not that that matter too much in super air ball) or the ability to fire faster than the opposition, then when you end up with a job, rich partner or student loan in my case you get your shiny new cocker, angel, shocker etc, you have the techincal knowledge to win with the back up of the range and rate of fire.

Just my two pence

crazypbkid

team driven black
Apr 23, 2002
va
Visit site
techincal knowledge to win with the back up of the range
dude, all markers have the same range its a physics thing if all the markers are chronoed in at the same speed then there range is the same, you cant shoot any farther with a angel then you can with a tippman.
mike

j0hn

Oct 9, 2002
www.pod-throwers.com
Ok, all balls drop at a rate of 9.8 seconds, he was right. So your range all depends on your arching, and your FPS. Spinning can help, but not significantly.

sjt19

May 23, 2002
Visit site
a good tip is to read the articles written by the pros on the Tournament section of this site, at the start its on the left, half way down, and there is usually a pic link in the top of the front page, these articles cover pretty much everything from snap shooting to playing tight, breaking out and team work. happy reading, maybe you could share these tips with your team, they are written by pros like Robbo, Matty Marshall etc....they are at the top for a reason and know what they are talking bout

:D