Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Running a HPA marker on CO2

emisnug

"I am Become Death, squeegier of Worlds"
Oct 10, 2011
Middle of bloody Nowhere
Hi guys, going 'balling tomorrow (I need my fix over the holidays!) - however then rather nice poeple there just gave me a bell and it turns out that they are gonna be running on CO2 tomorrow (having run out of scuba tanks). What would happen if I ran my marker on CO2? The warning in the manual states that I might cause irrepairable damage to the regulator die to high rates of fire. But seeing as I'm not particularly good and can't get above 10BPS, does this matter?

Just a quick question/talking point - I'm still going to be safe and use a rental Tippmann running on CO2, but I'm just interested - would it really screw up the internals of my marker?

Cheers

..A.Kaye..

Aberdeen Fusion
Oct 4, 2011
Aberdeen
Pretty sure it wouldnt do your marker any good, most electonic (speedball markers) run off HPA not CO2, so its best to stay away from CO2, will create alot of problems.

Gadget

Platinum Member
Jul 16, 2002
Essex, UK
Liquid CO2 through an electro solenoid would be very bad, definitely go for the rental option! :)

russyj

Leeds Uni Paintball Soc
Jul 22, 2007
www.luupbs.co.uk
When CO2 is stored at paintball pressures it's in a partial liquid form. At high rates of fire the CO2 does not have time to fully vaporise before getting through the reg. This causes a problem because vaporisation is a massively endothermic process, so if liquid CO2 reaches the 'noid and expands there the solenoid will drop well below operating temperature, at best causing the seals to shrink and causing leaks and at worst causing thermal fatigue to the parts and irreperable damage.

Used to have expansion chambers instead of HP regs on CO2 markers. For the record I wouldn't want to run an air-based marker on CO2, if you HAD to though you could stick a couple of extra expansion chambers/HP regs, a TONNE of hose, or re-arrange the drop-forward so the tank was sat vertical instead of horizontal.

Russ