Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Self defence in 2013?

ThomasMcNulty

Oct 9, 2013
Given the recent changes in the UK by the present government regarding self defence, is is possible now to use a paintball gun as a measure of home defence?

For example: if someone were kicking down my door and finally broke in and let off some shots at the intruder, is that acceptable?

I know the law has changed now so I am curious.

Thanks.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Has the law really changed that much?

If you use an item that is to hand to defend yourself then you have had the right to do that for years
If you plan what you will use to defend yourself in advance then you have selected a self defence weapon, self defend is irrelevant-it has become a weapon and to do so is illegal. That has been the law for years

If you use a paintball gun then you must air it up and load it. That means it must be prepared, unless you were testing it at the time. It will be illegal.

Have you ever been shot by a paintball gun? Has it incapacitated you?
It someone is breaking into your house they will not be put off by some bruises. They will however aim to stop you shooting at them and will b a bit angry about it. The best thing you could do with a paintball gun is to hit them with it

Do minors have access to your property? If your paintball gun (air weapon in this case) is not secured then you are liable to a £1000 fine.
If you're not cleaning, servicing, testing at the time then you can be the on e in trouble
(The law is just to lock it away, police and home office recommendations are to secure it to firearms standards)

Remember the tony Martin case. He did not need any law changes, despite the daily mail version of the case.
He was a farmer with valid access to a shotgun. It should be locked away but its reasonable for a farmer to respond to noises outside by coming out with a shotgun and ammunition - his animals could be getting attacked
Telling everyone in the pub that he will shoot intruders did not help (but he could be just mouthing off with bravado)
Using an illegal sawn off shotgun to shoot an intruder in the back was his downfall

Reactions: 3AJ12

metalfof

Jul 3, 2011
Croydon
Having an item ready for self defence is unacceptable,but hitting an intruder with an old Golden Eagle may not be.

Ninjabreadman

Aug 19, 2013
Cannock, UK
With a paintball gun it would be hard to say it was just lying around as Tommikka mentioned you'd have to have it gassed and loaded so you were almost pre meditating its use in which case it would be assault. However having an item ready isn't illegal so long as it could be stored there, not sure if that makes sense so here...

If someone was to break into my house I know exactly where my 'items' are.. I know if i was to go into my bedside table I have one option, above my wardrobe I have another..... and there is nothing wrong with that at the moment.

(This could do with being moved to the 'Speak Your Brains' section?)

MC0629

Jun 8, 2013
Speaking as a man of the law, what's been passed above is indeed correct. The only other way you would able to get around it (if you were that determined that you wanted to shoot someone entering your home with your paintball gun) would be if they were also armed with a paintball gun. Then you could play your self defence card.

Personally, I find the preferred method of utilising paint against an intruder was well established in Home Alone!

ThomasMcNulty

Oct 9, 2013
It sounds completely wrong headed, nothing much seems to have changed, which makes me very angry.

My scenario would allow me time to gas up and load the gun as I am barricaded in, I would have time for this.

What then?

Ninjabreadman

Aug 19, 2013
Cannock, UK
In which case you should have alerted authorities.... If you have time to gas up and load you could have called the police in which case then you would be able to get a proper answer... If while on the phone you say you're in the process of gassing up they would let you know if you would be ok to shoot, but as mentioned. If it was me breaking into your house a few shots of paint wouldn't deter me.. I've already made the dedication to take something from you, im not going to come into your house unarmed. I'd take what ever i have and charge you..... remember if they're in your house there already in the mindset to take something..... From my past experience if an intruder sees you they're going to do one of two things... Run, or continue.... now if they run you're fine dont worry call the police and deal with it,..... if they continue don't stop them.... they wernt phased by you being there they are going to go ahead with whatever they are there for...

reaperuk91

Mar 11, 2012
durham
To use the marker at a level effective enough you'll pass into fire arm area and be arrests I asked police about this wen I was curious. If they have knife yea it's reasonable however you ain't got time
To grab it air up etc lol. If they have a gun yes you can if your life's at risk and as long as you cx can hold up a good reasonable argument to why, however still same above you ain't got time.

Best bet if you really must us have a phenom or bt4 with
Loads of mods and swing that thing at their heads, put them down.

End of the day personally I will protect my family regardless to the Laws. I got far worse things than a paintball marker to use for defence lol

Ninjabreadman

Aug 19, 2013
Cannock, UK
Unless you are 100% certain you can defend yourself its best to let people get what they want..... Think about it. They're there to take something of value from you.... give it them, once they have what they want they'll leave, i think were mixing thieves and murderers, most of the time they are completely different people.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
It sounds completely wrong headed, nothing much seems to have changed, which makes me very angry.

My scenario would allow me time to gas up and load the gun as I am barricaded in, I would have time for this.

What then?
It's not the first time that politicians have spoken about or put together changes to laws just for political purposes & headlines.
Why did we need a law on using mobile phones when driving? It was already illegal, and the particular legislation varied according to circumstances - undue care & attention, dangerous driving, causing death by .....
What we ended up with was a law that technically legalised texting while driving as long as your phone is fixed, and people were then re-enforced with the opinion that it's ok to eat & drink, read a map, etc while driving, but phone users are evil. Has it stopped people using phones in their hand, or just increased the sale of hands free kits - and also people use their phone in their hand with a hands free option there because they didn't connect before setting off

Why do you need to be able to shoot whilst barricaded in your home with intruders breaking the doors down? Are you an unpopular man, in a very bad neighbourhood? Or just reading too much daily mail
Put your thoughts into protecting your home - door & window locks, chains, solid doors, look into how well locks & hinges will hold. Don't put out empty boxes advertising your new giant tv & surround sound system a week before the bins are emptied
Reduce your attraction to burglars, increase the effort it would take them to get in
Consider your locality - are you on a main city street and people can see your shiney stuff in the window, are you in a quiet lane where people can get in unobserved?

Speak to your local police about securing your place / minimising risks, and find out real local crime statistics compared to the ready of the uk or similar locations

Insure your property, think twice about a fight
A burglar is either pretty professional and wants minimum time & effort, or will have intelligence on why you are special and will equip appropriately, an opportunist bottom feeder wants to grab and go, a drug addict is probably on stuff they smoke and want to grab and go, hardened crackheads are unpredictable, you don't want to be involved
An attacker will make it personal-you can't stop it other then not having anyone wanting to attack you. Don't appear that you will be armed and they won't be armed up against you

Reactions: Ballantin