Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Self defence in 2013?

Chaz987

That guy
Jul 5, 2011
Swindon
To be honest due to reasons above on how long it will take to get the gun ready, Id personally choose a hefty old torch for 2 reasons when police ask;

1. You need to see where your going (not to mention you can blind said problem)
2. Traditionally the older style torch is quite large means more of a blow when you clout them.

You just had it in your hand at the time.

May 25, 2005
Norfolk
www.jerseywarriors.co.uk
Remember the tony Martin case. He did not need any law changes, despite the daily mail version of the case.
He was a farmer with valid access to a shotgun. It should be locked away but its reasonable for a farmer to respond to noises outside by coming out with a shotgun and ammunition - his animals could be getting attacked
Telling everyone in the pub that he will shoot intruders did not help (but he could be just mouthing off with bravado)
Using an illegal sawn off shotgun to shoot an intruder in the back was his downfall
His main problem was shooting the lad in the back as he ran away.
I am not advocating using a marker as self defence however English common law self defence allows for what is termed a 'pre emptive strike', ie you di not have to wait to be assaulted to defend yourself. If you challenge an intruder and they continue to be a threat to you or your property you can use reasonable force. Reasonable is the key, is it reasonable for you to shoot an unarmed intruder in the face with a marker, maybe if you can justify it. Is it reasonable to shoot an intruder armed with a knife who despite being challenged continues to come towards you/steal your property? Absolutely yes it is.

As for securing air weapons? I'd like to see the legislation on that, other than in public it cant be enforced. And a marker is only classed as an air weapon if it fires a solid projectile as far as I know.
Advice is advice, law is law but I know of no law that says I cant keep my marker aired up and loaded by the bed. Not that I ever would mind.
I go in houses every day that have an axe by the door or a bat to hand, any offences? No.

May 25, 2005
Norfolk
www.jerseywarriors.co.uk
Unless you are 100% certain you can defend yourself its best to let people get what they want..... Think about it. They're there to take something of value from you.... give it them, once they have what they want they'll leave, i think were mixing thieves and murderers, most of the time they are completely different people.
Very sensible post, most burglars are cowards and will run rather than face confrontation. Call 999 straight away or barricade your door and shout for help. Only provoke a confrontation if you are directly threatened.

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
As for securing air weapons? I'd like to see the legislation on that, other than in public it cant be enforced. And a marker is only classed as an air weapon if it fires a solid projectile as far as I know.
Advice is advice, law is law but I know of no law that says I cant keep my marker aired up and loaded by the bed. Not that I ever would mind.
I go in houses every day that have an axe by the door or a bat to hand, any offences? No.
There is no law that states you may not have an aired & loaded marker beside your bed, neither is there a law that you cannot have an axe beside your door, and the same can probably be said about licenced firearms that have to be securely stored - other than the terms of the appropriate licence and the holder not being in control if they are asleep etc.

Police who are attending a property when there is an axe or baseball bat beside the door may have some thoughts, they will consider them against other factors - e.g. they will be a bit suspicious of the intent if they are breaking the door down of a drug dealer.

However if their are children with access to the property then the consideration of a paintball gun being an air weapon makes the legislation applicable.

Security Act 2010
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/17/section/46
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/117804/air-weapons-safety-leaflet.pdf

You can argue the finer points of paintball guns being air weapons or not. The UKPSF and the Home Office generally classify paintball guns under various aspects of legislation and they fall in or out on a number of criteria.
Air weapon and velocity do not necessarily apply because of a seperate case that treated them as gallery guns and took the precident of 300fps instead of translating the pressure of 6 or 12 ft/lbs

There are two key points in the legislation and guidance regarding storage - a key case in the lead up of the legislation was the death of a child that found their parents airgun, and the recommendation against storage in outhouses, sheds etc - these make it easier for the criminal element to break into the secure storage and possibly also use other tools in the shed.

May 25, 2005
Norfolk
www.jerseywarriors.co.uk
There is no law that states you may not have an aired & loaded marker beside your bed, neither is there a law that you cannot have an axe beside your door, and the same can probably be said about licenced firearms that have to be securely stored - other than the terms of the appropriate licence and the holder not being in control if they are asleep etc.

Police who are attending a property when there is an axe or baseball bat beside the door may have some thoughts, they will consider them against other factors - e.g. they will be a bit suspicious of the intent if they are breaking the door down of a drug dealer.

However if their are children with access to the property then the consideration of a paintball gun being an air weapon makes the legislation applicable.

Security Act 2010
http://www.legislation.gov.uk/ukpga/2010/17/section/46
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/117804/air-weapons-safety-leaflet.pdf

You can argue the finer points of paintball guns being air weapons or not. The UKPSF and the Home Office generally classify paintball guns under various aspects of legislation and they fall in or out on a number of criteria.
Air weapon and velocity do not necessarily apply because of a seperate case that treated them as gallery guns and took the precident of 300fps instead of translating the pressure of 6 or 12 ft/lbs

There are two key points in the legislation and guidance regarding storage - a key case in the lead up of the legislation was the death of a child that found their parents airgun, and the recommendation against storage in outhouses, sheds etc - these make it easier for the criminal element to break into the secure storage and possibly also use other tools in the shed.
Thats like saying don't leave a knife where a kid could get it, of course if children have access to the area it's in then it is a stupid idea.
I'm not saying its a good idea anyway, however legally, unless a child gets hold of it he commits no offences.
As for weapons in houses, intelligence report gets submitted and we go prepared next time, so if you regularly have police round and dont want the ARV showing up then don't keep it on display.

MC0629

Jun 8, 2013
I find it mildly concerning that you feel that this would be your best form of defence against an intruder. Think of the civil claim that the intruder could make against you should you happen to shoot them in the yet and they lose their sight!

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
So either I can have the gun gassed and ready or not?

If the gas is in then will it lose it leak?
It's not an offence for you to keep the gun loaded and aired up
But if you keep it loaded and aired up ready for self defence then it's a self defence weapon
Nobody knows until you use it - except for the fact that you've said so on the internet
(Pre meditated intent)