Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

seX-ball US

crazzzy

Oct 18, 2002
close, very close
Visit site
Anyone know the latest scoop on the US X-ball league? I´d like to know who the 8 teams are, and which companies they are playing for??? I hear PMI bought the last franchise, and that they don´t have a team as of yet... isn´t Aftershock a PMI team???

crazzzy

Oct 18, 2002
close, very close
Visit site
Found some info...

Found this on paintballsportsinc.com, any thruth in this? Have the Euro teams been descided upon?

" Paintball has reached a crossroads in its development Opportunities for legitimizing the sport have ,presented themselves, and with them, both television and a much larger spectator base extending beyond those who play the game have materialized within our grasp.

Jerry Braun (managing editor of this publication), Dave DeHaan (principal of DYE Precision), Bill and Adam Gardner (owners of Smart Parts), Laurent Hamet (founder and principal of the Millennium Series in Europe), Richmond Italia (principal of Procaps and creator of X Ball), Renick Miller (from Bad Boyz Toyz and Shocktech), Mark McManus and John Mooney (representatives from Crosman Corporation), Johnny Postorivo (from National Paintball Supply), Paul Sattler (owner of Generation E), Joanne Wheeler and Mike Ratko (from Procaps), Micah McGlocklin (Captain of the Ironmen), Chris Lasoya (Captain of the new X Ball pro team), and Crush and Ron Kilbourne (Captains of the Bushwackers) came together for an important Las Vegas meeting to discuss where competition paintball finds itself, where it wants to go, and what is the best means of achieving mutual goals.

A "Vision Statement" was adopted in which the participants felt that it was time to:

"Increase the awareness of paintball with the mainstream public by shifting the focus from the player to the spectator, thereby allowing the players to achieve what they have always dreamed of accomplishing for themselves and their sport. 'The National X Ball League(tm)' will increase the awareness of paintball by providing quality entertainment for spectators and provide an opportunity to develop paid, professional paintball players."

One of the mutual goals arrived at at the meeting is to increase awareness of the sport by simplifying the game to make it more intelligible and easier to follow for spectators. Another is to make the game more appealing to the players. In keeping with these ideas, the following Mission Statements were adopted:

"To Reward performance of players in a manner befitting a professional athlete." In keeping with this position, the League will pay each team $20,000 to go directly to the players. For the first time in paintball's history, players will be paid for participation, regardless of how well the team does.
"To Promote the game and the League within and outside paintball; to secure sponsors outside the industry." In keeping with this mission, it is to the League's advantage that X Ball be used, given its five man center flag base and simplified scoring and penalty systems. it is, by far, the most accessible game to follow for those not well versed in competition paintball. Hopefully, this fact will make it easier to attract companies outside of the paintball community who are becoming aware of the popularity of our sport. The League will aggressively pursue their support in its efforts to grow and legitimize.
"To move events to quality independent venues for the players, and to increase the non playing spectator base." During the 2003 season, some of the X Ball matches are slated to be played at Paintball Sports Promotions events. PSP has agreed to provide a separate enclave in which the X Ball matches will be held. In addition, PSP will be holding its own X Ball tournaments alongside the regular five and ten man competitions. This will give the teams and players a real choice. They can choose to play the classic ten man two flag game or X Ball. It is anticipated that, beginning in 2004, X Ball will be played at independent stadium venues within the cities represented by the participating teams.
"To foster an environment of fair play." As with respect to other athletic competitions, a special team of referees will be employed to judge all matches in the United States. This will provide a greater consistency and effectiveness in marshalling.
"To consider television requirements (as known) during development of the game, the teams, and the League." It was felt that television was the key. The by products of finding paintball matches televised nationally on a regular basis will be staggering. It will, in essence, popularize and legitimize our sport. It will infuse our industry with a new vitality and spike its growth, which up until now, has been significant in its own right. It will give notoriety to the teams and players and increase their value in promoting their sponsors products. This is a value that will, no doubt, translate into significant compensation for all. Television brings it all home.
Ten teams from the United States are scheduled participate in the League in 2003. They include teams representing New York, Philadelphia, the Baltimore/Washington. D.C. area, Atlanta, Chicago, Detroit, Dallas, Los Angeles and San Francisco. They will be joined by eight European teams from England, France, Portugal, Sweden and Russia. Each team will play all others twice during the course of the year with the United States teams travelling to Europe twice to compete and the coming to the United States two times to against their American counterparts. The matches in 2003 will be held alongside teams playing Mardi Gras Open, the first four Paintball Promotions tournaments (Los Angeles, Nevada, Chicago and Atlantic City), and the six Millennium events to be held in Lisbon, Germany, Amsterdam, Toulouse, Sweden and London.

Each team will play four or five matches during a four day period. Matches are played in the five man center flag format. After each hang, there will be a two minute turnaround period before the start of the next game. Teams will be allowed to dress up to 18 players in anticipation of multiple lines being used. A match will consist of two 25 minute halves with a rolling clock that continues through the first twenty minutes of the game, However, five minutes before the end of each half, the clock will stop after each flag hang and each team will be allowed one time out, also resulting in a stop of the clock.

Unlike regular tournament play, matches are like basketball or hockey league games. There is no winner at the end of a round of play since teams are only accumulating points. Teams will receive two points for a match win and one point for a tie. The World Cup in Orlando will host the championship rounds of the top twelve teams in points accumulated during match play. It is at the Cup that a champion will be crowned.

But, if all goes as planned, we will all be winners in a most significant way. "

Well folks, inputs please!

knobbs

Sep 16, 2002
www.teaminfected.com
All right, it's not much, but the NXL *is* paying the players. I take back what I said about the exclusivity contract being crap...they now have a right to do so.

crazzzy

Oct 18, 2002
close, very close
Visit site
yeah?

Why would the Dynasty and Avalanche guys want to stick with S7 when they can jump on other teams and get paid playing??? I gues we will just have to wait and see what happens. Unless S7 pays them too!

But back to my original question, which teams are playing fleX-ball and for what companies???

/crazzzy

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Hate to be a wet blanket but Vegas meeting was, if I recall correctly, sometime in December. Most recent related meetings occurred in Chi-town coupl'a weeks ago and nobody re-affirmed that "Vision Statement." And while I'm at it a "Vision Statement" isn't a contractual obligation, signed and sealed. Among other things the Euro end of the deal meetings are happening this weekend, right?
Oh, and, the 20 large? 20 divided by 12-15 players divided by how many events? C'mon, it's a token, nothing more. Doesn't mean it's a bad thing but you guys are reading way too much into the whole thing at this point. Can't have real pros if they aren't compensated for their performance, after all.
S7 ain't going anywhere for the time being except one of these days maybe all the pay for play series will have to discontinue their "pro" categories. S'all.

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Doh! Had me fooled...

In any case the plans are pretty much as described, and the "true" pro teams will by definition all be playing NXL. Even if Dynasty is the best team in the world, they will no longer be worthy of the name "pro". "Semi-pro" is what they should be called, I guess.

Or will the big prizes pull more "semi-pros" out of the wood-work to compete for the big money? Can such a league as NPPL Super 7 exist and thrive parallel to the bigger-money universe of PSP and NXL? Especially if PSP get their act together as it looks like they will (thanks partially to our squawking). The LA PSP could have an incredible venue according to rumors.

I would really like to see some more editorial comment on where we've arrived and all the recent team/player movements, such as Rocky's move. And what the impact will be on Millennium and European PB as a whole.

Steve

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Doh! Had me fooled...

Originally posted by Wadidiz
Or will the big prizes pull more "semi-pros" out of the wood-work to compete for the big money? Can such a league as NPPL Super 7 exist and thrive parallel to the bigger-money universe of PSP and NXL? Especially if PSP get their act together as it looks like they will (thanks partially to our squawking). The LA PSP could have an incredible venue according to rumors.

I would really like to see some more editorial comment on where we've arrived and all the recent team/player movements, such as Rocky's move. And what the impact will be on Millennium and European PB as a whole.

Steve
Sure. They can both survive. Some of the relevant questions however are--Can they deliver to a new standard at the scale they may end up operating at? What exactly best serves the interests of pay for play players? (Something nobody is really talkin' about) What happens to those circuits once NXL branches off and becomes--if it does--an actual professional league. And a whole lot more interesting than the gossip about player movements--which is admittedly, alot of fun--what, if anything are the players or those supposed to be looking out for the players doing in terms of laying a groundwork for how the players get treated in the longer term?

As to seeing more written about such things keep buying your monthly PGI for I have, and will continue to, comment on such things as long as the gnomes remain fooled and keep printing my drivel. And I'm sure I won't be the only one. As things progress you'll get more of an insider's view from Pete too, I'm sure.
That, and you can compare your notes on HB S7 with mine, as I'll be covering the inaugural event. :eek: :)

R

raehl

Heh...

Steve, I question the wisdom of giving me the validation of a place in your signature. ;)

The loss of the "pros" is inconsequential. Tournament paintball is a pyramid, with the pros on top, and as with most pyramid models, if you lop off the top, the base just fills in.

What will kill a league is the loss of the rookie/novice teams at the base, as those are the teams that support the league - they pay the most entry fees, and they're the people the vendors are there to sell to.

So if Rook and Nov teams are still having a good time spending their money on S7 and regular PSP events, they'll keep going, and all will be well. A few will even win some big prizes that have been freed up by the pro exodus.

- Chris