Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

State of the world, and population control

Rebel Tackleberry

Mar 23, 2010
So, occasionally you're just sitting around and some profound thought pops into your head...

The world population is around 7 Billion. Based on history the population has doubled every 40 years or so. The whole world is currently in an economic mess. Howe can it ever get better?

There are only ever going to be more people to house, clothe, feed. There will only ever be limited resources in the way of jobs, housing, public facilities and money.

So.....when do you think we're going to break with the 'biggest human right is to have children' mentality and impose some form of population controls, like China has?

Ultimately it HAS to happen. You can do as much as you like with all this environmental friendly stuff but the bottom line is that there are/will be too many people to support.

We continue breeding uncontrollably and, with technology and social institutions, we will continue to have a larger percentage of non-productive population who need supporting by the productive portion.

History shows us that life was brutal and unforgiving, but the species was generally stronger due to the natural 'survival of the fittest' factor. Those that were weak or unable to support themselves long term generally did not survive.

Obviously we're not going to let that happen in modern times, so the only solution is to control population by the amount of breeding we do.

There you go, a pretty taboo subject that will be guaranteed to generate a wide range of opinions for an interesting discussion.

Tom Allen

TFP
Jul 4, 2003
Cardiff
i've shortened it (westernised)

Tho Masallen is the full version.

Sorry that's not me it's my brother Ashe Epaday

BDN

May 24, 2008
NW England
Economies of most countries have experienced peaks & troughs, and for many reasons. It does take time, confidence & a bit of luck for an economy to recover, but usually it will happen.
As for population control, if people think it is a taboo, your link to limited resources puts a different, and urgent, view on it; ultimately, we are screwing ourselves into over-population with rapidly reducing resources.
Populace control has been tried by many countries & in different ways. There are some efforts to discourage people from having children/more children by governments, some overt, China's one couple-one child policy, some more subtle, by reducing gender-equality & state-support.
If we continue, the point will come when a large section of society will do whatever is necessary to look after their needs; a break-down in communal living. You mentioned survival of the fittest, that is a definite possibly with human fighting human.

no-infernomark

I think therefore I am.
Sep 19, 2005
Kettering
i blame the charities for helping populations to boom. people send £3 a month for a net to save a child but the families continue to breed like rabbits, so instead of the natural equilibrium of some die some survive not so many die and more are born. so instead of sending a net send em some bloody condoms.

pablo666

I wouldn't say the issue is over-population, the problem is greed. Yes, the population is rising massively, but mostly it's due to greed, I live near Exeter, down here is one of the most hit with regards to unemployment, but there are jobs out there, people are either too picky or too lazy and greedy. Why get off their ass and work 40 hours a week when they get more money from benefits sitting on their ass at home (except those with "true"! disabilities)?? There is no incentive to work. I've walked down the local high street and seem many shops etc. applying for staff, yet it's minimum wage, so people would rather take the benefits, hindering the economy as opposed to taking the job and improving it to get us out of this recession. That's where we get stuck.

Secondly, i can say personally that i've had times when money has been short, we all run cars and have bills to pay, but if you need money desperately, it will turn up one way or another. If you can honestly say a time when you haven't been able to get something "essential" then fair enough, but for most it's available if you look hard enough.

Housing is a problem, but not because there isn't enough of it, it's due to the cost. I'm 19 years old, and have started looking towards the near future when i will be looking to own my own as opposed to share bills with other for housing. How am i supposed to get 10% of £200,000 to put down on a very small flat in Devon? let alone a house. Where does a 20k deposit come from? The answer is either i borrow the money, putting me into debt, or i stay in shared accomodation for another 10 years. Young people can't get into housing without extreme help. This is the greed of the world, I understand young people can get help from parents to buy houses, which means that there is a market for the houses, and it is this which let's them get away with charging such high prices, but without that help, what is someone suppose to do? The simple answer is lower housing prices to make it more affordable but of course this wouldn't happen because some multi-millionaire would lose out on a few thousand per house, and yes, when added together is a lot of money, but sacrifices must be made by the few for the greater good in other words, to help get out of the recession.

However, only lowering housing prices wouldn't help the over-population. That would have to be tackled in my opinion, and of course others will disagree, via something similar to China's one child policy but at the minute, is the world over-populated or is it under-developed? perhaps it is both, i'm not sure?. This world is a dog-eat-dog world and that is an undisputed fact if you ask me. If you don't do it/get it then the guy next to you will, so we need to work on our own problems before others. Always look out for number 1, so why is Britain blowing so much money on a war over "terror" cough oil cough when the help is needed back home. Were fixing villages 3 months ago we were blowing up with tax payers money, this helps the U.K how? Hearts and minds campaign? What about the hearts and minds of the British Public? The price of petrol etc. has risen, but is it really over the declining oil, or is that media stirring, where the real reasons could be greed of Arab nations cashing in on something we do not have? I don't know personally, just throwing it out there. We need the oil for transport, yes and if they rise the prices we have to pay i guess, but are the resources actually running out? im skeptical.

The retirement age rose recently, and this was an attempt to try to resolve the ageing population of Britain. Why is the ageing population the problem? It isn't it's not about age, as Rebel said, it's about productivity. We don't have enough of the population productive to get out of the reccesion, we have the age, just no insentive for people. I'm sorry if i offend anyone by saying benefits is to blame but in my opinion it is, if i go out and have 10 kids, i'll get given a house and enough benefits to cover me for life by the government, so why not just ignore the economy and the reccession and live my own fullfilled life? Because i give a damn about the future. i am diabetic and also have addisons disease, i could claim benefits, but why? If i jump on the bandwagon with everyone else and go yeah, "gimme money", is this country going to move forward? No. People need to stand up and do something, if they give a damn about their future.