Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Students Rioting today

Joshie15

Jul 28, 2009
UK,Bournemouth
With all the violence and graffiti that has been happening today do you still have sympathy for the students or has their childish attempt to get what they want made you loose all interest in their argument?

BubbleGumBob

Free Style Baby!
Mar 10, 2007
Reading/Newbury
I would just like to point out that not everyone at the protest was violent or vandlsing, and if you look at whos doing most of the "bad stuff" are current uni students and therefore the rise in prices does not effect them, there just looking to cause problems. and harming the voice of people who does effect such as myself.

Dave284

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2008
IF you want to go to uni you have to pay for it, pretty simple. I dont see what the fuss is about.

I think what a lot of people are forgetting, is that alot of students (myself included) voted lib dem because it was the most appealing to younger generations with student fees being cut one of the main points that was broadcasted to students. With the vote on student fee's being passed and lib dem apearing to go back on their words I think they have a right to be angry. Now students are looking at coming out of uni with a minimum of £27k debt, before living expenses are even taken into consideration. I dont condone violence, vandalism or general yobishness (it is a word, oxford dict just havent put it in yet.) and I imagine it started out as ''A peacefull protest" but the fact of the matter is a lot of us are unhappy with the way the fees have been handled, and a lot will be unhappy with the way that some have reacted.

I have never been under the illusion that uni is a given right, I expect to pay for it, I don't however expect to be lied to and have the extra money that I will spend on my tuition fee being used to pay back the national deficit.

Dave284

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2008
I would just like to point out that not everyone at the protest was violent or vandlsing, and if you look at whos doing most of the "bad stuff" are current uni students and therefore the rise in prices does not effect them, there just looking to cause problems. and harming the voice of people who does effect such as myself.
did you attend did you?

I dont see how you can make this judgement by watching it over the TV. a lot of my friends have been involved in the protests who wont have to pay the additional fee's, solely because they are looking to the future uni students.

niallist

SPS - First 9
Nov 2, 2008
London
IF you want to go to uni you have to pay for it, pretty simple. I dont see what the fuss is about.
My thoughts:

None of the current govt. had to pay tuition fees.

Peaceful protest was devalued beyond parody by the Iraq War protests. What's the point?

Students, by definition (with some exceptions), are young people therefore their reaction to kettling and police violence will be immature and badly thought through. Hence the mindless vandalism.

Topshop deserves everything it gets. Boo hoo. :(

It's about time some windows got broken, it's the only way to get their attention. I'd given up hope in the youth of this country until the last couple of weeks.

As a final point, a lot of the people who will be hit by this are the working class and inner city kids who do not have well off parents. As one banner said, " Drug dealer or doctor? Your choice.".

Exile

The Tao of Pooh
Jun 20, 2006
North London
I'm with you up to this point:

I have never been under the illusion that uni is a given right, I expect to pay for it, I don't however expect to be lied to and have the extra money that I will spend on my tuition fee being used to pay back the national deficit.
It's not. The extra fees are not paying back anything, there is just a reduction in the huge subsidy on tuition fees, which has been passed onto those that will ultimately benefit (in theory at least) from the education.

Also, why hasn't the NUS condemned the violence? The only quote I can find from them is on the BBC website:
A statement from NUS president Aaron Porter reads: "This is not the end, and our protests and our work have sparked a new wave of activism which will grow stronger by the day. We stand ready to fight the next stage of this campaign together. Our future is at stake."

So they intend on causing more damage and disruption on the average Joe and Jane taxpayer, who would have funded the increase if it hadn't gone through?

Any sympathy I had for this cause is most definitely gone after today's debacle.

Dave284

Platinum Member
Jan 4, 2008
I'm with you up to this point:

It's not. The extra fees are not paying back anything, there is just a reduction in the huge subsidy on tuition fees, which has been passed onto those that will ultimately benefit (in theory at least) from the education.
in that case i'm mislead and retract my previous statement about that.

niallist

SPS - First 9
Nov 2, 2008
London
Sorry Exile but Aaron porter has embarrassed himself massively by being possibly the most out of touch and irrelevant NUS president I have ever seen.

He was on BBC earlier condemning the protests in no uncertain terms. He is nothing but a career politician who has managed to screw up his career at the earliest possible opportunity. Which is a good thing really.

He is completely out of touch with the majority of protesters and students.

BubbleGumBob

Free Style Baby!
Mar 10, 2007
Reading/Newbury
Dave i'd just like to comment on your bite at the lib dem's,

Lib Dems have a very small control in the goverment due to amount of seats they won, so they are not going back on there word just dont have control over it, people are saying they are going back on there word when really what they are doing is insted of no control in goverment they have a small influence which is better then nothing for all of you who voted for them and BTW im pissed about the rises as much as anyone els is effects.

And yes dave i did.