Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Subversive Sexism

Jun 11, 2008
Reading todays daily mail one of its regular columnists reports that there is a growing trend (which they support) to accuse men who open doors, offer to carry heavy bags etc as being secretly sexist.

My questions are;

Do you consider this behaviour sexist?

Do we now or are we ever going to have equality and what promotes/prevents it?

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
Not much of a growing trend, it's been said for years.

Depends on your point of view, it is considered manners, but those manners are based on old values which date back to a discriminatory era. Women had less rights but were to be treated with respect. So that is the less discriminatory part. However it also relates to women being the weaker sex, so that is discriminatory

If I hold a door for someone who is carrying something then that is being polite/helpful irrespective of their sex, I hold doors for ladies because that is the way I as brought up, I also hold doors for men as it is also polite - but I have a sexist slant that I am less likely to do so for men

If I go insane and get back on a bus, I would give up my seat for a pregnant lady,but only if she were standing near me. I would not give up a seat just for a woman

Canon Fodder

Go to your brother, kill him with your gun.
Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster
you can't take anything you read in the daily mail seriously, youtube "dan and dan daily mail".

I don't consider the behaviour sexist just polite, but then I'll offer anyone a hand with carrying and open a door for anyone. I don't think we'll every have equality while women get to retire earlier even though they live longer.

Bambulus

Wreckballer - PMGWC#2
Nov 13, 2008
that special place.
www.leekspin.com
Reading todays daily mail one of its regular columnists reports that there is a growing trend (which they support) to accuse men who open doors, offer to carry heavy bags etc as being secretly sexist.

My questions are;

Do you consider this behaviour sexist?

Do we now or are we ever going to have equality and what promotes/prevents it?
I wouldn't say they're 'secretly' sexist in the way they just have unknown-yet-purposeful motivations, but more the act itself is a 'remnant' of past times and inherently carries patriarchal values - as do a lot of other aspects of all society, according to a lot of critical theory.

While I, personally, don't think it's a sexist act (well, depends on the exact rationale behind the act - did you open the door regardless of gender, or did you feel compelled to because they were a woman?), these arguments hold a lot of weight in most critical schools of thought, and I honestly understand the basis of most feminist criticisms that are usually targeted at the most mundane and ridiculous of things. I once wrote a paper in which one of the arguments was that language is phallo-centric, and is geared towards power-plays that often place a group of people or object etc, whether it be based on gender or otherwise, as an inferior subordinate to a powerful and superior alternate - usually two halves of a whole.

Some people may want to criticise this as just being the Daily Mail ;) but really this is just the tip of the academic iceberg - there's a whole other world of thought out there, and it has fair grounding.

Thib

Nov 26, 2008
Newcastle
Newspaper objectives is to sell, make money and all the rest.
Do you really think they even care about what they write ?
If it sell, it's all good ....

SteRoberts

Pugwash
Apr 1, 2004
Wolverhampton
I wouldn't say its all good. Obviously the objective is to make money, but does it justify lying and inciting hatred? It's sad that people consider the mail and the sun substitute for an education. It's a nasty state of affairs but this is a different thread altogether I suspect.

Rat

eating brick!
Sep 18, 2005
worcester UK
hold open a door for a lady who turns out to be a feminist then have to argue the toss that you a) being polite and not being sexist or B) being helpful/polite and not trying to demean them.

hold open a door for a non feministic lady you may get a thanks or you may not.. either way you win and lose!!

personally some ladies out there don't need treating with kid gloves as they are more than capable of defending themselves and some are tougher and more ballsy than blokes.!!