Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Take me down to tha Taliban City

D6

Jun 21, 2002
Nakatomi Plaza
Greenham Common

I just wanted to clear something up about RAF Greenham Common. I remember playing there ages ago and although I can't speak for absolutely everybody who ever went there, the walk on days I played at were full of normal 'ballers without a paramilitary bent who liked the idea of a different playing environment.

As has been mentioned, money seems to dominate everything we do, and if a site can attract people to play by allowing them to fulfil their Rambo fantasies, then the obvious financial gain is their incentive. I believe this raises the question of the ability of a site to attract customers- does it always come down to "war- games" or would people be equally inclined to have a weekend of sup-air etc? Media coverage of the sport is the key...

Without wanting to insult anyone, I've observed how short some peoples memories are, and as we approach a year after 11/9 hopefully sites running such distasteful scenarios will think twice.

Toryboy

Give in to the Dark Side!
Hotshots

USAF GREENHAM COMMON

I used to marshal there. the whole war hype thingy was just the brochure but yer there such missions as the bomb game, embassy seige, stretcher game etc remember though that was 3-4 years ago dont neglect that fact that we aint **** in the painball world..the thing that makes this game available is the god knows how many punters playing war for the day, they dont see it as a sport like we do and it wont change until sites stop using CAMO and other war parafinalia

As to the name thingy its a bit out of order i agree. Im sure if every1 slates it enuff they will change. site operators are penny pinchin arses. they really dont need bad publicity. so **** on em from a great hight, it may chneg their mind;)

Ralph

BAD TO THE BONE
Is there not a major tournament at Gettysburg ?
obviously not on the battlefield it self ( i hope). How could any redblooded redneck not fail to be lured to the event ? or am i being cynical ?.
What next? Iwojima or a Little Big Horn scenario game.Any nominations as to who Custer should be.
It's about money and make no mistake about it.

God forbid that anyone in europe would stage an event at Vimy ridge,Paschendale,Somme,Arras,Verdun,Ypres,Dunkirk,Waterloo,
Crecy,Agincort or a D-DAY beach paintball jamboree.
The list could be endless.

rancid

Mother, is that you?
Hopefully this wont sound disrespectful, but could this not be seen as part of the healing process? Is this that far removed from the OBL spoof in the eminem video, or the sad and sick jokes that mushroom after every terrible event?

And if they are doing it for the buck, does it say more about the public than the site operator?

Ok, I guess I ain't over keen, but perhaps this is an alternative view... has anyone asked em?

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
If'n I 'member correctly

Chris is somewhat preoccupied at the moment in AC (with PJ Platinum--tho how do they play Nov when they played AM in Vegas?), perhaps even playin' a little ball between bouts of losing money.
And there is something to be said regarding Rancid's suggestion--just not sure what.

Rancis onto something!!!???!!!

Possibly, but I would suggest that if it got picked up by a left wing/liberal journo on a slow newsday then it could cause huuuuuge damage to our 'sport'...

It's kind of hard to quantify excatly, specifically why Taliban City is more wrong than Ho chi Minh City or the plethora of other themed fields...I guess timing, the fact that the situation is on-going, the fact that it could cause racial tensions and make certain kids going to the field massively uncomfortable, the fact that SC Village is a major tournament field that sets trends and standards, the fact that the wounds are still fresh and pretty raw...it's just a big ol' hotchpotch of reasons that scream 'This is dumb and wrong'.

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
I don't like it 'cus

it's plainly a reactionary step in paintball evolution. :) Take that, O Cardiganed One.
And I will agree it could be used for anti-pball propaganda but--
Maestro, you is desperately close to treading into the PC Zone. Which youth are you concerned about? The Afgani and Saudi kids spouting Islamic Revolutionary slogans and carrying rpg's in their backpacks? If I recall correctly, and this time I do, SoCal has a substantial Vietnamese, Japanese and Korean population--gotta be someting at SC Village to offend them too
But then I'm not real big on defending people's feelings.

I hear what you're saying, but those wounds aren't raw...Nam, WWII, Korea - they're the stuff of videos and Playstation Games now and kids have grown up with em as such. This is fresh and on-going...it's a knotty one to get your head round tho', I'll give you that.

And Rancid only dances tha Reactionary Two-Step...oh, and the Nel-Spot Tango.

(...this is Rancid's cue to inform you that he had tha 007 Automag when it came out and the second ever ProMag upgrade, done by Marcus Davis in person...)

headrock6

Bloody Yanks!!
Jun 5, 2002
Strong Island
Visit site
Originally posted by rancid
Hopefully this wont sound disrespectful, but could this not be seen as part of the healing process? Is this that far removed from the OBL spoof in the eminem video, or the sad and sick jokes that mushroom after every terrible event?

Its not disrespectful, but a healing process for who??The paintball community in So Cal??I can bet theres not many who were directly affected by the events of 9/11 so im at a loss as to who its healing..And theres still people here who cant sleep at night or walk amongst crowds so im not sure if Taliban City would be the proper method of healing anyway..

And the OBL spoof was just as tasteless..It might have been viewed differently if they were sticking thier boots up his ass at the end of the video but yet light was mad of a situation that is still raw..Does anyone remember that a year hasnt even passed since Sept. 11th??

But your right!!Maybe if someone from there would post and shed their side of the story maybe we can see where thier frames of mind where when coming up with this brilliant idea..We shall see...