Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Tips for speed ball

Graham (Donkey's)

May 16, 2002
North East, UK
Visit site
The team that I play for and I are playing in our first speedball tournament the week after next and I was wondering if you guy's (and girls) can offer any advise and techniques to make sure we have the most fun that we can and at least play as some sort of unit.

Arrival

I Kick You in the Nuts!
Mar 24, 2002
Schaumburg, IL
Before somone else posts before me that can type quicker, I call this topic! (tips will be posted momentarially)

Arrival

I Kick You in the Nuts!
Mar 24, 2002
Schaumburg, IL
Okay, playing on a speed feild most of the time during my paintbal career, I can be of a little help. I'll make it in list form so it's easier to read.
-Play tight. Always keep tucked in close to the bunker as much as possible. This of course will drasticaly reduce the risk of being hit on your sides.
-Look down the barrel, not it's side. This helps me know where the paint is going to fly. Try it out at the target range and see if it works for you.
-Spend time at the target range to learn the arc patter of the way your marker fires. For playing the back, this will be a big help.
-Back players should always be talking (or yelling). "We got one player moving up in the snake, near the back!" Back players should be as detailed as possible so the front players don't have to spend tme searching for the opponents.
-Front players communicate the the back players so they always know that you're in tact and still in the game. Front players should always be looking for a new useful bunker that proves to be an advantage over the current bunker they occupy. Gain ground on the opposing team and somtimes even sacrifice one person to take out two of thiers in a bunkering move; but that should only be done to end a game or if your team would outnumber them after the sacrifice.
-Yell for cover when you need it, and people who hear the call for cover, immediately put down fire at the other team. It isn't uncommon for people to concentrate on one and only one person, so you may catch an opposing team member wide open.
-Be unpredictable; never come out of one side of the bunker more than three times in a row, and never look over the top of the bunker. You my have a great view of the feild, but the other team has a great view of your head and hopper. Don't be obvious about future actions for example: "Hey ------, Bunker that guy!" Develop a code if you must, and remember it like the back of your hand.
-If a ref is in the way of a good shot at the opponent, take the shot. It is a rare case, but has happened to me. That same ref agrees that I should of taken the shot and he shouldn't of been there.
-Never argue with the referee. Speedball is a fast paced game and they don't have time to stop and argue. If you are 100% certain you weren't eliminated or whatever may be the case, ask them nicely why they made the call. That's thier job and they'll be more than happy to tell you.
-Whatever happens in the game, have fun. Even if you were severely beaten, remember what you did wrong and correct yourself the next game. Playing better teams than yours is the best way to learn.
-Show enthusiasm in what you do and be honest. Use sportsmanship in whatever the case may be (few exceptions), and you won't be disliked by anyone.
I hope I helped, and you can utilize the points I made to improve your teamwork and game.

Liz

Jan 17, 2002
Kent, UK
Visit site
Good reply from Arrival.
Another thing to remember is that you should rarely be trading paint down the line, but firing across the field instead. It's all a matter of angles & you will get the best angles crossing it up. For the back corner players, make sure that on the few occasions you DO want to fire down the line, make sure the other corner knows what you are doing, so he/she can change at the same time & then back again together otherwise you'll end up leaving one tape uncovered & open to moves by the other team.

Another tip to consider is if you have a longish barrel, try "leaning" it into the barricade. You can get a lot tighter that way.

Tony

Dead Hellfish
Jul 7, 2001
Jarra, N-E , UK
Visit site
Originally posted by Arrival
Before somone else posts before me that can type quicker, I call this topic! (tips will be posted momentarially)

:D

Get there early and walk the fields. Then watch as many games as you can before you to get an idea of where other people run to.

Don't try and get as far upfield as you possibly can if it's your first time, other teams will be gunning for you front men, get into bunkers where you can hear each other and help each other out. When you get more confident, then you can do the bunker monkey stuff.....

Graham, if you're playing the last leg of the 2002, get down the site on Saturday and watch a few games. It'll give you a good idea of what goes on. Specifically, watch players who play in similar positions to you, watch how they play.

Graham (Donkey's)

May 16, 2002
North East, UK
Visit site
Hay great reply Arrival, I shall be telling the team I play for some of the techniques that you have talked about and I'm sure that it will improve the Donkey's game :)
I shall even print a copy out so I can read it b4 I start playing :rolleyes:

Thanx Liz, I know the technique you are talking about, but would you consider 14inch a "Long" barrel? and I shall tell the back players what you have said when we all get together again next week b4 the tournament at 6E.

Tony I looked at what you siad and I felt it was reppeating what I was thinking :) so I shall be telling my captian what I have already said that I think my running "as far as we can" the front players and I will be gunned down b4 the games 10seconds into play. Thanx for your reply and now I have the backing from a player that hes heared about aswell :cool:

Thanx all of you again, and if anyone can think of anything these three have missed then just post away :)

John_Wilson

Will mark for money!
May 22, 2002
Visit site
Good advice that mirrors what I've been told. BTW I'm the main donkey that graham is referring too. :p

As for the running up the field don't worry I'm not sending you into a paint "furball" just far enough so we aren't all hiding behind one coke can.

I'd be suprised if we 2/3 of the way to the 50, unless we hear something like "bugger my marker is broken" 5 times from 5 different people. (you never know :) ) *Yes I am clutching at straws*

Thanks for the tips.
See you all on sat, early in the morning. Unless anyone else is weird enough to spend two days camping in the woods.

j0hn

Oct 9, 2002
www.pod-throwers.com
If you guys are still talking about this..

If you're playing airball, you can use one hand to shoot, and one hand to hold the plastic of the bunker. Then, with the hand holding the bunker, move the plastic in so you can shoot, then when being fired back at, push it back.

Also for airball, here's a little trick a lot of people use. If you shoot the top or the very edge of a bunker, in theory, it will give your ball enough spin to kind of throw it in a direction, either up, down, right, etc. That can be helpful for getting those people tucked in tight.

Also name your bunkers, that's the most important thing. And if you got someone playing the snake, make sure you have bunker calls just for them, so they know when and where a guy is coming to bunker them.