The Home Of European Paintball

tournament grade guns

crom-dubh

WHATEVER...
Sep 9, 2001
watford
Visit site
Hi there
In your opinion, what would you say were tournament grade guns? I have a P/F automag and am looking around for my mates for guns. If we were wanting to start up a team what would you say was the minimum level of gun they should get? Basically they arew the sort of guys who dont really want to get a cheap gun which will not stand up to the opposition, but also dont want to spend too much money on one.

Any suggestions will be much appreciated

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
Well, this is just my opinion, but use it as you see fit;
Things like automags are the minimum to go for, but if you want to be a serious contender, you're going to need to get it pimped out. An autococker has more upgrades available, so I would prefer that to a mag, but that's me.
Obviously, the definition of too much money is different for each person, but if they want something seriously mean, but not fork out the cash to get you something like an Angel, why not have a look at the Impulse by Smartparts, or the Matrix, distributed by Diablo. They're a lot cheaper than an Angel, but spit paint at equal rates. You don't get the lcd screens and flashing lights with proximity alerts and airborne early warning radar that an Angel has though......:D

crom-dubh

WHATEVER...
Sep 9, 2001
watford
Visit site
So what are the inherant problems with automags? Why would a cocker or shocker be better? I have never fired one of those as apart from site guns ( 98's) I have only used the mag

Cheers

shockers are electric, their cycle rates are dictated by a ciruit board! there is always the risk of that going wrong! but doesnt happen often. the firing cylinder might break but apart from that very few problems which cant be dealt with on the spot.

cockers have more moving parts and i have never used one so excuse me if i say someting wrong :)
they have timing rod 3 way valves etc, which can all be upgraded. But for someone who has just bought one to start playing around with it, chances are they will get into some real trouble with it! The triggers on cockers are very different (cept the new blade frame)
if going for a cocker get one standard or already tuned by someone else.
a shocker there are many options available and it is down to you. but before you buy either try and have them checked out by somone who knows what he is doing/looking for!

Buddha 3

Hamfist McPunchalot
True!

Cockers are nor as user friendly as something like an automag, or especially things like spyders or piranhas.
The reason I say that I would prefer them over mags is this: When the mag was first released it was state of the art. The fastest marker around! One thing they lacked compared to a cocker was accuracy, but they made up for that by the volume of paint they flung. Nowadays the mag has been overtaken in the rate of fire race. Electroes will outshoot a mag any given day. Most of them will also be (somewhat) more accurate. The cocker has always adapted to new developments. And what's more, they are very easily upgradeable, and for a reasonable price too. Okay, you can fork out the cash for a seriously pimped out one, but you will be paying for cosmetics as well in that case, and I'm not sure that's what you're after judging from your post.
There are mags out there that are more adapted to be state of the art, such as the RT and the e-mag, but they are consequently more expensive.
As far as electronics breaking down, I've never seen it happen (doesn't mean it doesn't happen ofcourse). The electronic markers mostly suffer from the same things that other markers suffer from, i.e. o-rings going fubar.

You asked for my advise on markers, that's what I gave you. If you want my advice on how to get started, it's this:
Try out paintballing first. Don't spend a heap of cash on a hobby that you're not sure you'll be doing for years on end. After all, you never know. In this context, the standard automag is an excellent choice. An easily maintanable marker, that can easily be upgraded to more or less tournament standards. Sure you'll be outshot by teams brandishing Angels and things like Eclipse/Freeflow/Whatever cockers, but then again, it's all a case of picking which tourney to play. If you can do so, sign in as a novice team, which will mean that you'll be playing teams with more or less similar equipment and skills/experience. If the tourney uses a seeding system, chances are you'll get shot to bits by some pro/top am teams in the prelims, but you learn a lot from that, and you'll be playing teams of a stature equal to your own once the prelims are over.

Anyway, good luck, and I hope you manage to get a team going.

crom-dubh

WHATEVER...
Sep 9, 2001
watford
Visit site
You are a star Buddha 3 Thanks for your help.
I have played quite often on Punter days ( have been playing for about 11 years now) and my mates have played a few times. Is it possible to try a walk on day if you dont have your own kit? This way they can get a feel of playing with guys who know what they are doing and also see some of the better guns in use.

that is not as far as i am aware possible! best thing to do is find out when the next tourn is around your area (temple this sunday)
pop down have a look around, most players will be happy to show you their guns and talk about them with you if they have time!
some might even let you take them out to the firing range and play with them (you need a mask for this though)