Two piece or one?

Al Woods

GFH Trouble Maker
Jul 7, 2001
Your 30
www.gfh-hq.com
Hi

How you doin' buddy??

We [K2] use the Smart Parts Freak Barrel System which is a two-piece barrel and is AWESOME!! We used Boomsticks in the past and thought they were great; solid, well built and accurate. Some of started to use the JJ 2-piece aswell, light (the front end was very, very lightweight) and accurate, but not as well built as the boomstick. Then we tried out a new JT barrel, again this was a 2-piece barrel but this was much betterthan the JJ by way of quality.

Right, which one then eh? Well the two pieces are great because if you want a different size barrel all you need to do is buy a longer or shorter end piece which should cost around £25-30, whereas if you needed a new size Boomstick you're talking £80 or so, nice. The Freak then offers more than this. The actual size of the paintball differs depending on weather, storage conditions, age, blah de blah....etc..so sometimes you'll find you're paint breaks in your barrel because it's too tight OR it's too wide and your paint flies all over the show, Smart Parts have remedied this by adding a third section to the barrel which is an insert. These inserts are of varying widths enabling you to adjust the bore to match your paint, preventing breaks or wings thus making for a hassle free tourney without any annoying smegs. As for metal differences, SS just looks better.

My recommendation?? Biassed or not, we have tried others and the Freak does rock the barrel world up and down. BUY ONE!! NOW!! check the web links in me signature, there's even a mini review on our website. ;)

Al Woods

GFH Trouble Maker
Jul 7, 2001
Your 30
www.gfh-hq.com
SS

Well, dye make (at least I think they still make) the all stainless barrel. I used to have one of these on my mag and it rocked. Now SS is more robust than other metals used and can take more knocks than our trusty friend aluminium which makes for a much stronger barrrel BUT SS is damn heavy man. The barrel I had was a 14 and weighed 14 ton, far too heavy especially now with markers becoming more lightweight, a bit pointless really. Like I say though heavy but very strong which is why you can get the Freak with a stainless back section. Ok it's a lil' bit heavier than the standard back section but it is a heck of a lot stronger. I guess my previous comment 'bout SS only looking good was a bit dumb 'coz it does more than just that, you won't even feel any extra weight because it is attached straight to your marker body so it won't off balance your set-up as the ends are aluminium.

Did any of that make sense?? :D

Micah

Originally posted by paintballguy
Yea I gotcha. But why cant they make barrels out of stuff like brass or completely titanium? Or carbon fiber?
They do have all brass barrels, they're hard to find but some say the shoot straighter. But brass is such a soft metal they get scratched very easily.
Compleatly out of titainium would be waaaaaaaay to expensive.
I may be mistaken but Carbon fiber has to be attached to a metal back section in order to have threads. I don't believe that CF can be threaded its self. As for why they don't make them, well, the CF barrels on the market now don't seem terribly successful.

Aluminum is Cheap and when anno'ed pretty darn strong.
SS is very strong, very slick and it's self cleaning properties are better than alum.

That's a big part why 2 piece barrels are so big right now, the part that accelerates the ball is the stronger slicker SS and the porting part is the lighter cheaper alum.

interesting thing about most of the 2 pieces, a 18 inch boomy shoots just as far as a 14 shoots just as far as a 10 shoots just as far as a 7.5 (Jerry @ Warped Sports LA has made a couple of them) because the ball is only accelerating in the first section of the barrel. and this is true of all 2 piece barrels because the front section is so much bigger than the back section. Usually 0.70"

So there you have it I went on and on when I really answered your question in my first Paragraph ...
-Micah

Al Woods

GFH Trouble Maker
Jul 7, 2001
Your 30
www.gfh-hq.com
Micah, you d' man

Listen to this guy, his opinions are WAY better than mine. I think though, as a collective effort on this post, Mr. paintballguy should go away uplifted and enlightened on the subject. :D

Freaks rock.