Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

UK Paintball

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
I haven’t been to that many regional tourneys over here in the past year or so but I think I have been to enough to now realize something I hadn’t really thought about before.
Whilst other threads on this site bemoan the fact we just don’t cut it when it comes to producing enough players / teams who are serious enough and look to ways for helping this situation out, I now believe we could well be missing something over here.

I will explain :- We can theorise all we like as to the reasons why we don’t seem to produce a lot better teams and we can also come up with a myriad of solutions but in the end, if we haven’t identified the root problem, then we have little chance in solving the problem.

I don’t want what I am going to say next to be received as disrespectful in any way, I am just making an observation and certainly not a judgment.
I went to the Ambush site yesterday to see the last leg of the southern league; and recently I also saw a few of the games of the PA in that Sky production a few weeks ago.

What is immediately obvious to me is the level of play and this is where I want you to remember this is not a criticism….. because the level of play is nowhere near, and I mean NOWHERE near what the Div 2 / novice level is in the US.

This sounds ridiculous but it is true and I might have an idea why.
When I was at Ambush yesterday, I went with Jamie Abbott who as most of you will know is one of my players on Nexus and as the day wore on, he leaned over and remarked, ‘ Pete, I haven’t seen one player who even looks right’.
I have always maintained that players who have ability, even a raw ability, have a certain ‘look’ about them and it was this that Jamie was referring to.
He was right, the more I looked, the more I realized the complete absence of any real or potential talent.

We then began to discuss the problem along with Jamie Brandon who was standing nearby and it also became obvious to us all that the ‘actual’ look of the players was different from that of our US counterparts.
The contrast was just as stark in the safe zone suggesting the demographic of our player base is completely different.
Just so’s you realize what I am saying here, not only did players look differently whilst playing but they looked a different sort of person altogether.
On our way back to London Town, I couldn’t stop thinking about what the fcuk was going on because there are always reasons for differences and perhaps what we had noticed was indicating something.
Our paintball demographic is different and thus what comes out our paintball pipe is different and that’s the bottom line here.
The ingredients are just so different in our paintball pie.
In the US, players are younger, fitter and more driven, that is a given.
When I look at the guys who make up our tourney teams (I am talking generally here) they are older, bigger and less motivated.
Well there is one thing in acknowledging the obvious but quite another to try and explain why.
I think the almost total absence of recball over here goes some way to explain this phenomenon.
If we look at any particular country, we will have people who are interested in playing paintball; their normal entry point is putting the cammo on running around some wood somewhere as a punter.
If these people then ‘get into’ our sport, they obviously will want to increase the number of times they are gonna play, that’s a no-brainer.
Well, over here what choices have they got?
They can continue paying top dollar as a punter or…….?

See, now there’s the problem…in the US they have recball to service that middle tier of player who don’t wanna pay the 6p per ball etc as a punter.
And so over here, the choice is made simple, they either continue playing as a punter or they play tournaments, there is really no other choice as a general rule.
This situation then funnels all the people who get into paintball onto the tournament scene and this becomes our player demographic for tournament players.
Within that number we self-evidently have the serious baller who goes to make up the likes of our top tourney teams and serious Amateurs but the majority are the very players who would normally go to make up a recball population, if in fact there was one…but there ain’t.
Now without going into too much painful detail here, this demographic goes some way in explaining why we haven’t got sufficient quality players over here.
In the US, if you wish to take paintball to the next level (from punter days) you go and play Rec, if you wanna compete as an athlete, you go play tourney.

Each natural step along the paintball road is catered for in the US and because they have this distinction between tourney and Rec the eventual demographic that goes to make up the tourney player is already going to be more dedicated, more committed and more suited to the tournament scene and thus the competitive environment.

Over here, the catchment for tourney player is artificially wide in that it is catering for that middle tier of player (rec) and for the tourney baller.
The casual player, and the player who plays just for fun is now taken on board our tournament scene and it would be unfair of us to look to him (or her) to have the necessary drive and dedication to take our sport forward.

And so, the top US teams are an emergent property of not only a vastly increased tourney player base but also reflective of a more dedicated player within that tourney base.
Our tournament scene is merely reflecting what goes in at the front end in that a significant number of players just aren’t bothered enough as is evidenced by certain other indicators.
A few months ago, Markie C had XSV over here for a seminar; the response was fcuking abysmal considering some of the rhetoric I was seeing on the boards regarding how we should improve our tournament scene.
If you got XSV doing a seminar over in the US, the cost would be probably around 150 bucks and it would be rammed out, over here…well you know how that one goes, we just don’t care enough, well some do but if we remember the demographic we have, it shouldn’t surprise anybody.

As for whose fault this all is?
Well, it certainly has nothing to do with our player base as all they are doing is playing a game they enjoy in the only place they can.
The fact that most players aren’t that dedicated isn’t their fault at all, it’s just the way they are, they enjoy their paintball and frikkin good luck to them all is what I say but we can’t look to this demographic to produce a healthy tournament scene in terms of high end quality players in sufficient quantity.

I put the blame for this firmly and squarely on the site owner (not all but most) and the industry over here.
The site owners generally are not really good businessmen, far from it, their shortfalls in business acumen, investment and imagination are made up for by some of these site owners believing good business to be screwing the ass outa the paint wholesalers.

They change supplier in a heartbeat for a tenth of a penny per ball whilst charging 6p per ball on site, work it out here guys, they pay sometimes as low as 13 quid per box and sell it on site at between 100 and 120 quid, that ain’t a bad mark up.

I am in no way criticizing that mark up but what I will criticize is the way a lot of these site owners go about their business with little to no loyalty and even less imagination when investing in paintball as a mid to long term investment instead of their adherence to the present short term strategy of punter servicing.

People HATE to be highlighted if it puts them in a negative light and that’s why you won’t get many, if any, site owners holding up their hands in agreement with what I am saying but I get to speak to ALL the industry people who have come over here from the US and set up shop and they have all remarked on the almost tragic way we do business over here.
It is unarguable the US model of site business methodology is more advanced than ours, their markets are better developed and healthier and yet, we choose to ignore that model and go for the quick buck in the back pocket.
In my opinion, it’s cheap, small minded and short sighted.

Nobody is asking our site answers to be philanthropic or to take on some responsibility for our flagging tournament scene, (they are in business to make money remember) but to deny they are part of the problem is like trying to tell me black is white.
The contrast between the US site owner and the Brit one says it all.

I get sick of hearing the rhetoric of some of these site owners come up with when it comes to justifying their business practices but in reality, it’s just a cheap defence of an untenable position.
The wholesalers have to take some blame in all this because if site owners over here show little to no loyalty then a resolute pricing structure for paint has to be adhered to otherwise anarchy ensues and a spiraling downwards of margins occurs which is EXACTLY what we have now.
It is not cost effective to sell paint over here, that is the simple truth of the matter and because of that, the knock on effects are felt right across the entire paintball spectrum.

I like the ‘cause and effect’ universe we live in because it infers there are always answers to solutions if we look hard enough; I ain’t saying I got the answers here but there is no doubt we suck when it comes to producing sufficient high end paintball teams (pros, top ams and progressive novices) and if anybody can come up with another suggestion, then I’m all ears.

Of course not all site owners are like this but if the majority weren’t then how come we are in this position?
I’m all ears again………

robtattoo

Dunballin
Feb 13, 2003
Paintball's retirement community
In my opinion, not that it counts for that much, is that site operators will not run walk-on/rec days on any sort of scale, due largely to the lack of profit to be made from them.
Your average site owner would have to close down thier site to normal 'punters' to make way for the recballers. Punters who don't bemoan paying 6p a ball would be replaced with a small collective of reballers who don't want to pay more than £40 a box. That's an £80 loss of profit per box of paint sold, factor in that 30 recballers will probably use the same amount as 100 punters (say 30 boxes) that's £2,400 profit lost.
Everyone wants paintball to be cheaper, but unfortunately, the cheaper it gets, the less incentive there is for site operators to organize walk-on days.
I agree with everything Robbo mentions above, there is no rec-ball structure in UK paintball. The middle ground is simply not there. The only way I can see to improve/create this middle ground, would be to get paint prices back up to what they were 10 years ago. I know the idea of this sucks balls, but, it would be a far more attractive option for site owners to then open their gates to more players.

Please feel free to tell me if I@m totally off on this, but it's the only logical explanation I can come up with.

TheRenton

P8nt'in Yo Face Since 03
I'm a paintballer, fresh to the sport, but I've been through the mill of punter days, walkons and finally sup air. So i may or may not know what i'm talking about with regards to business, but this is how it looks from my point of view.

Most site owners do more than just run punter days and i'm aware that it is all based on making money for them. Most (not all) site owners still just see it as a business and run their punter days along those lines because they probably have other business projects outside of paintball.

To most site owners, they don't really care about the sport of paintball, they just know it's good for a quick buck on stag parties and office outings, but the market is starting to get saturated. There are too many small sites popping up all over trying to charge a fortune to come play paintball.

Now, were there to be an organisation which specifically recruited area's of land for recball (not punter days) then yes, not as much money would be made, but there would be a greater selection of new players entering the sport as a hobby. So maybe this body would be made up of tournament organisers who will see the profits in the long run (more tourney teams, more players, more entry fees).

I don't think increasing the cost of paintball in any area will benefit matters, the actual machines which make paintballs (encapsulators) do cost a lot of moola, but the actual paintball fill must cost hardly anything in the volumes it is produced (correct me if i'm wrong). I realise there are no major manufacturers of paintballs in this country (i think) which is probably a main problem here.

No doubt this discussion may get heated :)

D

duffistuta

Even if rec was there and prices were better I still don't think the UK could/would compete.

I wouldn't be surprised if, percentage wise, a not-too-dismililar number of Brits as Americans have played Paintball. I think the reasons young people with sporting inclinations in Europe choose not to play Paintball runs deeper than accessibility and cost.

We do not have a gun culture here - never have - and since Hungerford and Dunblane guns and anything associated with them have become vilified to a huge degree. Guns are not perceived as cool or acceptable over here at all and however you want to dress it up Paintball is about shooting people with guns.

I don't think it's a coincedence that the downturn the US Paintball industry has taken of late has happened at a time when every town of note in the US has had at least one son come home from Iraq or Afghanistan in a body bag. I bet you the number of church/youth/father and son groups playing Paintball has decreased since the Iraq war and will continue to decrease while US soldiers are still dying.

Aside from that, Americans are used to stop-start sports where you do **** all most of the time, and Paintball fits neatly in with American football and baseball in that respect...

Robbo

Owner of this website
Jul 5, 2001
London
www.p8ntballer.com
Originally posted by robtattoo
In my opinion, not that it counts for that much, is that site operators will not run walk-on/rec days on any sort of scale, due largely to the ......................................back up to what they were 10 years ago. I know the idea of this sucks balls, but, it would be a far more attractive option for site owners to then open their gates to more players.

Please feel free to tell me if I@m totally off on this, but it's the only logical explanation I can come up with.

Rob, I think you are right about increasing paint prices which pretty much falls into line with what I am saying about the attitude our site owners have when it comes to running their businesses.

As for the sites not being able to develop the rec ball market, I don't think it's an either / or situation as you suggest, it just takes a more sophisticated approach to investment, that's all.
We just need a little more thought than the normal knee jerk response we seem to get when suggesting these type strategies.

TheRenton

P8nt'in Yo Face Since 03
I don't think gun culture has anything to do with it, the UK toy market sells all sorts of multicoloured paint and water throwing toy guns to minors. Maybe the parents strongly oppose to their children playing the game, I know when I was a wee nipper, I heard of paintball but it was only ever allowed to over 18's. So I forgot about it. Always wanted to do it though and thats when at work I decided to go to a punter day. Everything caught on from there, but just think how many people did the same, a gap of say 10 years.

Tom Allen

TFP
Jul 4, 2003
Cardiff
The other day a couple of local guys contacted me about a fill rig for their new dive bottle. We got talking, and it pans out that they are setting up to try their hand at tournament paintball.
They've played a fair bit as punters, so they asked me about teams and where the local tournaments are held, with a view to playing a tournament straight away.
My advice was to play a few walk-on days to get a bit of experience on a sup-air field, and the faster pace of tournament paintball.

As Robbo has said, there is no middle ground for punters to make the step upward to tournaments.
Well the walk-on day gives this middle ground, and the money side of it is reasonable for the site owner.
If you look at a projected profit margin for a punter and a walk-on player, there isn't a great difference between the two. The average punter spends £30-£50 and the site owner has to supply and maintain all the equipment and have at least 6 marshalls
On a walk-on day there maybe 2 marshalls, and the average walk-on player spends £50-£80.

Why doesn't it work, is it that there is no commitment in paintballers today, is it the cost, or just apathy.

BBS

Toooo old to care.
Jan 28, 2005
Visit site
Originally posted by Tom Allen
Why doesn't it work, is it that there is no commitment in paintballers today, is it the cost, or just apathy.
This is probably a question that a lot of people have asked over the last 18 years. The question that needs to be asked ( and I think it has been in another thread) is " is this a sport or a hobby?" The majority (generalisation) have treated it as a hobby, playing tournies is just an extension of that hobby.

Tom Allen

TFP
Jul 4, 2003
Cardiff
The other problem in our tournament scene, is all the different leagues or series, who compete for players against each other.
These seperate organisations serve to segregate teams into 5 or so groups that never meet. And each year they fight to be the top tournament series to play in.

A national league would put paintballers into a system that allows them to play against the best and worst paintballers in Britain, gaining far more experience than their "closed" league allows.