Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Welsh Open Feedback

Rosie

Aug 30, 2002
Nottingham
Ok so how did you find it this year? the loos, showers, marshalling etc etc

ok marshalling first. sorry to bitch as i had a great time, but:

I thought marshalling across fields was inconsistent...there were a few absolutely crap calls, and some rules followed and some rules not, eg: I saw several 300+ fps markers being allowed to adjust, and rechrono, when we were told expressly that this would not be allowed to happen. On only one field we were told to take off wristbands as they counted as an extra layer.

it seems like each field pick and choose which rules they want to follow, depending on the head ref

on one field one of our players was called out, the guy couldnt see where he'd been hit, he called over the marshall and asked them to point out the shot; they said 'on your shoulder. he looked, he couldnt see it so he decided to stay in. another marshall came over and told him to leave the field...so he did.
There in fact was no shot, no shell, nothing that could have been mistaken for a shot infact the area on his shoulder was completely clean. and then the marshall came over afterwards for a moan about how he shouldnt have had to come over to send him off.

but isnt it fair that if you're called out and dont realize you've been shot, that you ask for explanation ie 'where??'. fair enough on your pack/mask etc this does not apply. but what if im called out, and a ref cant even point to where im hit??

and saying 'sorry it was a mistake' after the game does not really help at all, as it does not make up for the points loss: one player on the field could change the course of the game. I think there should be a system for awarding points after a game has finished, to compensate for that.

ok on to facilities
The girls loos consisted of: 2 toilets and a shower cubicle (hey it was Ok i suppose, except when the guys' loos started to overflow into the girls' this morning). and the girls at least were quite clean

I heave heard very very bad things about the guys loos, and i think a lot of guys were put off by the communal shower room for some reason :confused:

I thought play was really agressive, made more so because of the shorter fields. but i was surprised at how much cheating was going on to be honest, even in Div D there was cheating, and really, there was no need :(

ok see ya sorry if it sounds negative, like i said the tourney was great, good atmosphere just the marshalling could have been a liiiitle bit better on some fields.

Dont flame just post your experiences good or bad

oh yeah the LIPs guys were soooo helpful thanks

and the Axion images tent was such a good idea: play a game, and your piccy would already be on the PC before your next game. I was well impressed!

*also Big Up for www.paintballkit.co.uk*

For info, on the photography front...

Paintball Kit were covering as follows:

Saturday (upto game 20) Fields 1 & 3. then 2 & 4 from then onwards.
Sunday (upto 11:30) Fields 1 & 3, then from game 20ish onwards on 2 & 4.

Those images (which were also displayed on the Just Paintball Stand) will be on the paintball kit website soon, and are available to buy online.

Parksy

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2002
Newcastle, UK
Originally posted by Rosie

but isnt it fair that if you're called out and dont realize you've been shot, that you ask for explanation ie 'where??'. fair enough on your pack/mask etc this does not apply. but if im called out, and a ref cant give me a good explanation as to why I should leave the field (ie: im apparently hit but they cant tell me where), then I will not.

No you get off the field!! A marshalls call is either your clean or your gone, if your gone why should he have to tell the the wheres and why fors of it? If you sit in your bunker having a marshall explain it to you then surely your disadvantaging the team your playing who doesn't know if your live/eliminated.

Pump'n'Splat

Ambassador of BOING!
Mostly What Rosie Said,

Some bad calls, some dire calls, a lot of inconsistency......

Toilets are toilets, the ones at the welsh always get the seats broken it seems, but can't say it was any worse than the usual state of the portaloos...

Enjoyed the weekend, a very steep learning curve for our guys, but was worthwhile though many a brown trouser moment for a Div C team's first play in Div A.

Jurg$

know heart. know glory.
Apr 28, 2003
Dirty South
www.ambushpaintball.co.uk
Originally posted by Parksy
No you get off the field!! A marshalls call is either your clean or your gone, if your gone why should he have to tell the the wheres and why fors of it? If you sit in your bunker having a marshall explain it to you then surely your disadvantaging the team your playing who doesn't know if your live/eliminated.
Beat me to it.

TheRenton

P8nt'in Yo Face Since 03
All in all a good weekend, some poor calls as everyone seems to have said. One particularly annoying thing was field 2's layout (middle field on the left as you walked in).
The alignment of the start gates and back centre bunkers was completely out!!! One bunkers was directly infront of the gate and the other was a bunkers width to the right of the gate! Because of this I think we lost an easy game on that field when we realised we had won the game when playing the side where the bunker was directly infront giving us (and any team) an advantage on the break.
It should have been rectified, because it defo made a massive difference!

Rosie

Aug 30, 2002
Nottingham
some of the fields, mirrored or not, were obviously not measured out when they were layed down, as on most fields there was an advantage to either one end or the other: on some fields there were quite big differences in distances to bunkers.

Parksy if a marshall tells me to get off the field but cannot justify it then i would probably not. having had a few of these bad calls on my teammates, and the customary 'oh sorry mate you werent hit out at all i just made a mistake' 'apologies' afterwards, with no compensation points.

on most of the fields we played on though the marshalls were really nice and helpful, and i saw a few really good ones going into snakes, through lanes etc to check for hits.

just on some fields there were bad calls. eg: a guy i saw take a (big and very obvious green) shot to the chest and play on (with a marshall standing next to him, afraid to get hit so not checking thoroughly). the guy then went on a run-through and shot out the last three or four members of the team, ending the game.
a substantial amount of points (97?) were lost because of this cheat, because of this one marshall who was afraid to get in there.

Oh Yeah keep an eye on http://www.paintballkit.co.uk/gallery.asp and www.axionimages.co.uk.

Shuck

Snoring Machine.......zzz
Jul 13, 2001
SoTees
Visit site
Parksy if a marshall tells me to get off the field but cannot justify it then i would probably not.
Well if thats the case I think a swift 1 for 1 would be coming into play. Maybe that would help you on your way? Reasons shouldn't be given, if a marshal says your out, your out..........end of!

Parksy

Platinum Member
Oct 27, 2002
Newcastle, UK
Parksy if a marshall tells me to get off the field but cannot justify it then i would probably not. having had a few of these bad calls on my teammates, and the customary 'oh sorry mate you werent hit out at all i just made a mistake' 'apologies' afterwards, with no compensation points
Thats happened to everyone who has played a tournament though at some point, myself included.

The fact is though if a marshall calls you out your out! He don't have to give you any explanation. Tell you where your hit, who shot you, why you were shot. He has to tell you one of two things, your clean or your not...

If everyone sat in a bunker wanting to know the ins and outs of being hit a couple of things will happen...

1. You would get bonus balled massivly, if a player sees you hit, and your not coming out there just gonna keep drilling you until you do.

2. It means people are looking/posting on eliminated players who are arguing about marshalls about where they are/are not hit meaning players posting are not contributing in other areas of the game.

3. Marshalls get distracted from actually marshalling if there having to explain eliminations to player!

4. I'm confused as to when it became a marshalls job after your shot to tell you where you were hit?

Of course you get bad calls at times, but this doesn't justify staying in a game while a marshall tells you why your eliminated??!!

You start questioning a marshall or not getting off a field you should be 1 for 1d'

Iain

DCF - the beginning!!!
May 13, 2002
classified
Visit site

Parksy if a marshall tells me to get off the field but cannot justify it then i would probably not. having had a few of these bad calls on my teammates, and the customary 'oh sorry mate you werent hit out at all i just made a mistake' 'apologies' afterwards, with no compensation points.
Rosie, if you are told to leave the field wether bad call or not. GET OFF THE FIELD. A marshal does not need to justify during a game why he / she pulled you, if you stand and argue then don't be suprised if you get a 1-4-1 or 3-4-1. Like Parksy said if a ref is telling you why you are pulled then he is not watching the rest of the game allowing your team or the opposing team to cheat (and i'm pretty sure you would bitch about that too!!!)