Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

what are barrel inserts

Devrij

Sex-terrorist
Dec 3, 2007
Bristol
Barrels come in different bore sizes to accomodate different sizes of paint (all are approximately 0.69 in diameter, but they vary slightly according to brand, temperature, and other factors). The effects of matching your barrel bore to your paint are myriad and better documented than I have time to describe. Typically, barrels come in two pieces with a "back" and a "front". The front is a large bore and comes in only one size, but the backs come in different bores (such as .685, .689, .692) and can be interchanged. Some barrels have inserts, which are essentially metal tubes of different bores that can be slid into the main barrel piece to adjust the internal diameter (eg Freek barrels). Just get a .693 and forget about the rest for now. :) Oh yeah, stock barrels are USUALLY .693

onasilverbike

I'm a country member!
Inserts & barrel bores are measured in thousandths of an inch, so 690 would be 0.690-inches! With the nominal size (calibre) of a paintball being 0.68-inches, in reality they are often larger than this by varying amounts. The idea of a barrel kit or barrel system that has interchangeable inserts is to match the bore size to the paint you are shooting for the maximum accuracy and gas efficiency. Another approach is just to 'overbore', i.e. use a bigger bore barrel, such as a 693 or 695, sacrificing some accuracy and efficiency but reducing the risk of breakages in the barrel at higher rates of fire.

Hope that helps.

Edit - Got distracted while typing and dev beat me to it ;)

Bolter

Administrator
Aug 19, 2003
Kettering
www.facebook.com
Totally agree with Devrij, 693 all the way. Reason being that if you use a 689 for example, and your paint is a snug fit when you test it out at the beginning of the day, by lunchtime when it is alot warmer out, the paint will be bigger, and of course not fit anymore. You will tend to then get barrel breaks (paint breaks in the barrel) and this can lose you games.

Plus no matter who makes the paint, you always get that one ball thats a slightly larger size or slightly mis-shaped, and you get a barrel break that way.

You will get told that by matching your barrel size to your paint will increase accuracy and efficiency, and it does, but its marginal. To the point where its pointless. You may add 30 shots to your tank of air for example, but if you break paint, and cant shoot the enemy, what is the point? All for 3 seconds more firing. Id rather shoot paint all day.

edit: and you beat me onasilverbike :)