Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

What are the real rules?

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Sometimes I get surprised when I hear players or other judges have a whole different opinion about certain reffing situations.
Thank God that the NPPL was founded and based on the concept that the game should flow and that many players will cheat when under pressure. That realistic approach to cheating brought the instant penalty solution to instantly penalize breaking the rules for the purpose of being fair to the other team and to bring about behavior modification (perhaps). Millennium has adopted and seeks to improve these rules and has already become the most professional paintball scene.

I would like to ask for different opinions about what is fair and what you would do in dfferent paintball situations. Here is one:

On break-out a team has three guys going into the same lay-down bunker. the last guy coming in looks like it was a last-second decision. I run across towards them but get distracted momentarily by a hit player giving me his/her armband. Then I go look at the three players and find that the middle player has a solid hit squarely on his back shoulder. He was not asking for a paintcheck from his teammates or from me. He was definitely in the game and playing.

Question:confused: What would you do?

Gee

Mar 18, 2002
Reading UK
Visit site
You pull him unless you were sure that he had felt the hit and was knowingly playing on without first asking for the check from you or his team mates.

It has to be a 1 for 1, at least if you're playing Millennium Series Rules. It says that a player hit in a place where he/she would have felt it (ie back) but can't see it must immediately call a check on himself from a teammate or judge, and such a teammate must respond immediately. Since there were 2 teammates next to him there is no excuse. Player is playing on, 1 for 1. (or 2 for 1 if it is deemed to have given the players team a game changing advantage)

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Thanks, that's what I did...

After I put up my post I looked it up in both the Millennium and the NPPL rules. You're citing paragraph 10.06 in both sets of rules. I was just surprised to hear a couple of experienced pro players/marshalls say I was being too tough. I think I just hadn't explained it clearly enough.

I'll bring some more situations up later. I think it's good to hear different opinions.

Check it!:)

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
What do you think about random just-before-it-starts chrono checks?

Or, how does a paintgun get hot from entry chrono to game start, usually less than 5 minutes? Is that the way to get people to maintain their markers properly or do we have to go to a system of on-gun chronies with built-in transmitters?

Check it!

John Molloy

Jedi Master
Jan 9, 2002
Manchester
ukjaguars.com
IMO all markers should be chrono'd before the teams enter the field and checked for tourny locking on regs etc. Marshalls could carry (the very expenxive) hand chrono for spot checks. Also players carrying tools onto the field is a nono (got to rely on 'em for this as you wouldn't like to search some of 'em:eek: :D or by some of 'em:eek: :eek: :cool: ) you could check a couple of random players off each team as they leave the field as well.

John Molloy

Jedi Master
Jan 9, 2002
Manchester
ukjaguars.com
by the way I don't think you were being harsh in the other post above, if the hit was from a prior game it should have been wiped clean before potting up for the next game. The fact that its on his back would suggest either its his own team or he's very unlucky:D pull him and leave it at that (unless he argues then 2 for 1 him:D )

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
I'm still curious about hot guns.

Cheers, John Molloy.

I was a little gob smacked when I heard and saw paintguns going up 20 or 30 fps just after the entry chrono. Example: Ground Zero on the Campaign Cup DVD. Is it cheating made possible by all the electronic wizardry or is it poor marker maintenance or what? If they can change that much in a few minutes then perhaps they need constant monitoring.

As for exit chronographing, I feel that when the game is over it should be over, thinking about the recent moves towards spectator friendliness. Unless someone is bleeding from a hit in the last few seconds of the game.

I personally thought before that on the field, during the game chronographing would be too intrusive, until Joy Masters. The field I marshalled on did it randomly in every game with almost noone even noticing.

Check it!

John Molloy

Jedi Master
Jan 9, 2002
Manchester
ukjaguars.com
A properly maintained marker on air shouldn't jump like that, I heard some stories of markers that can jump 20-30fps by fiddling with the dip switches but don't know which markers but the story originated at the Max Masters, by the way this was supposed to be a deliberate attempt to cheat. I heard it second hand so can't realy coment (differant if I'd seen it myself;) )