which is best ?

AUPaintSoc

(o)(o)
Jul 19, 2005
Aberdeen
www.abdn.ac.uk
Originally posted by taylorO
but as i said IN THE LONG RUN
Still, why cheaper in the long run? In terms of what you get for your money, rec-ball (I'm assuming we're talking about own-gunners, not punters) will give you more time on the field compared to a tournament.. Obviously Im generalising a bit, but even so, compare 8 or so 6-minute tournie games in one day, to 8 30-minute rec-ball games in a day. Given that the cost is going to be basically the same (lets say £60 not including transport etc), purely in terms of time on the field rec-ball would win?

BUT, if its the atmosphere, the experience, and the learning-curve you're after, tournament play is what you want. Im sure lots of the scenario players will disagree, but tbh theres only a limited amount of 'big-games' per year, compared to more-than-monthly tournaments/walk-ons and training sessions...

Plus you get to play with shiny toys with tournament play, which I guess is the deciding factor for a lot of people!!

Yeah so sorry, this thread wasnt really about which is better, more saying that by no means is rec-ball more expensive than tournaments, dont let cost make you decide.

It really is a case of preference. Try them both, its almost like comparing two different sports at times, and go from there.

Bob

www.inlinewalking.com
Oct 12, 2005
Aberdeen
www.fatbobspaintball.co.uk
Originally posted by AUPaintSoc
Still, why cheaper in the long run? In terms of what you get for your money, rec-ball (I'm assuming we're talking about own-gunners, not punters) will give you more time on the field compared to a tournament.. Obviously Im generalising a bit, but even so, compare 8 or so 6-minute tournie games in one day, to 8 30-minute rec-ball games in a day. Given that the cost is going to be basically the same (lets say £60 not including transport etc), purely in terms of time on the field rec-ball would win?

BUT, if its the atmosphere, the experience, and the learning-curve you're after, tournament play is what you want. Im sure lots of the scenario players will disagree, but tbh theres only a limited amount of 'big-games' per year, compared to more-than-monthly tournaments/walk-ons and training sessions...

Plus you get to play with shiny toys with tournament play, which I guess is the deciding factor for a lot of people!!

Yeah so sorry, this thread wasnt really about which is better, more saying that by no means is rec-ball more expensive than tournaments, dont let cost make you decide.

It really is a case of preference. Try them both, its almost like comparing two different sports at times, and go from there.
Similar to what i thought but couldn't be arsed arguing . . . . a certain picture jumped to mind:D

Gyroscope

Pastor of Muppets
Aug 11, 2002
Colorado
www.4q.cc
The question (which is better) is not something anyone can answer for anyone else.

The idea that tournament paintball is cheaper is ridiculous. The guns are more expensive, the paint is cheaper, but you go through it at a much higher rate, the entry to tournaments has no equivalent in rec ball, and the guns are apt to see problems, due to greater wear. If you played an equal amount of tournament paintball to rec paintball, you would spend far more on tournament, unless you are largely sponsored, which is not realistic for most people. I cannot imagine how anyone thinks this. It is laughable.

Raffles

Going....going....not quite dead yet...
Jun 21, 2004
oldham - lancs
...and a lot less 'attitude'. Rec-ball is a pressure release system - tourney-ball is a pressure inducer ;)

Kill Crazy

Aug 2, 2005
Wirral
Visit site
the price all depends on how trigger happy you are i think cus i can spend more on a rec day if i go nuts. But i would say rec is cheaper . You only have to pay say £20 game fee and box of paint or if ur mental and love just to shoot say bout 3 boxes.
With tourny tho you useally split the cost between the team .
So it is down to ur shooting how cheap its is.
Plus the style of the games are different you can wonder round a wood for 5 mins and not see anyone on a tourny field there everywhere lol.

But in my opinion tourny is better but that is cus i hate the woods and hiding behind trees

eastie123

Uncooperative
Jun 2, 2005
Da hood!
Visit site
Originally posted by blackhawkjac
Thers no "better one" to choose from, it all comes down to personal preference, the only way you can truly decide is to have a go at them both!

Of course if your cool, you'll do tourneys!! :p ;)
Thats right really, there isnt a better one, its what you prefer!

But I personally prefer sup air ball! No question!

But rec ball is always good fun!