Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Why do people cheat?

Echowitch

Southern Pirates
Regards Dynasty to quote someone I spoke to at Campaign (who shall remain nameless):

"Dynasty play to the ref's. They push their luck to see what they can get away with. Frequently they get caught out and penalised stupidly. But sometimes......just sometimes.....pushing their luck plays in their favour."

Although it seems that the ref's need a Spike "Eye in the Sky" to watch out for stuff the ref's missed. (Loved Spikes commentary hehe) :D

basktm

Dec 14, 2010
somerset
It's better than looking at guys collecting a trophy and feeling jealous.
true, i'll give you that one :D

but maybe its just me or they way i look and do things, but cant say i have ever felt that way, played many sports and won some things, but i personally, dont feel jealous.

if i/we've lost then all i know is, i have to train harder or learn more, for me any competition is just a measure of where i'm at in the learning, training curve, if i'm losing then i'm not training hard enough or fit enough or quick enough.

(have to say this is a general view not just paintball)

upzii

Platinum Member
Feb 27, 2011
Although it seems that the ref's need a Spike "Eye in the Sky" to watch out for stuff the ref's missed. (Loved Spikes commentary hehe) :D
Climbing that tower to plan rickys birthday run was a right pain... i was like how do u get up ? "climb the container then hope the ladders dont break" was the reply i got lol

Jun 11, 2008
Regards Dynasty to quote someone I spoke to at Campaign (who shall remain nameless):

"Dynasty play to the ref's. They push their luck to see what they can get away with. Frequently they get caught out and penalised stupidly. But sometimes......just sometimes.....pushing their luck plays in their favour."

All successful teams play the refs.

On the opposite side you've got teams screaming in the refs faces to try and get a decision overturned (never going to happen) only to end up being massively scrutinised for the rest of the tournament and getting no decision going there way.

Jun 11, 2008
I've been thinking about this all weekend and I've realised I have been too honest in the past and to be frank I regret not 'cheating' on at least two occasions.

Number one was at the Camp masters in Paris. The team we were playing offered to drop the game as they were running short of cash. I, on principle, told them to get on and play it (supported by the team). We lost. This was at a tournament where we started one game and destroyed a french team in 30 seconds only to have the french refs claim it was a false start and reset the game for us to end up losing it.

The second was while filming a paintball tv show. A ball burst in front of me and sprayed up my leg. It was always going to be a 50/50 call but I could have lost it and nobody would have been the wiser. I decided to take the honest route (we were well up so it wasn't an issue anyway). We lost

Looking back if I had cheated we may well have come away with two extra trophies and another note in the scrapbook. Would I have dwelled on it - I doubt it.

Andy Steele

P8ntball isn't a sport
Sep 2, 2005
manchester
People cheat to be able to compete.

So what if you get dinked out first every point. What gives the cheater the right to spoil another teams training session/tournament by cheating.

I believe cheating is through lack of ability and the want to be seen as better than the next person.

It's a shame people believe cheating "is part of the sport". its only accepted because people let it!

It's not big, or clever, or accepted in my world. Just a bunch if **** players trying to be better than they are!

Ellis90

London Attrition
Nov 7, 2008
south
People cheat to be able to compete.

So what if you get dinked out first every point. What gives the cheater the right to spoil another teams training session/tournament by cheating.

I believe cheating is through lack of ability and the want to be seen as better than the next person.

It's a shame people believe cheating "is part of the sport". its only accepted because people let it!

It's not big, or clever, or accepted in my world. Just a bunch if **** players trying to be better than they are!
you cant mention training and tournament in the same sentence. training should be undertaken to improve the team, and you as a player, cheating has no place there. however as soon as you bring in a competitive enviroment, in our sport's case a tournament, the majority of competitors at the top level of any team sport are willing to push the boundaries in order to win, paintball included.

i see where your coming from, and maybe its true in the lower divisions, and sometimes the higher ones too- but do you say christiano ronaldo has a lack of ability because he falls over repeatedly in the penalty area? or bringing it back to paintball, do you class ollie lang, tim montresser or maybe federov as having a lack of ability because they lose hits when they can, or think they can get away from it? i was watching the webcast a couple of days ago, and a well respected player stated that most of the pro players in the PSP will cheat if they could get away with it. i dont care what ability level you are, sometimes, often in paintball you are going to get shot. its naive to say by losing a hit, you have technically lower skill than if you walk. i challenge anyone to name me a team at the top level today that dont push the boundaries in order to win.

in case anyone is wondering, personally i have recieved 3 penalties in my short time playing paintball, all of which were for hits i didnt know were there. i agree with you, cheating isnt big or clever. or should it be accepted. but it will still happen, and people will continue to do it where they can get away with it, and often where they cant.

RICH HARRIS

The legend limps on
Nov 18, 2002
Living on the edge, often bouncing on a ledge
There are cheats in every sport. Some are good at it and some are bad.
I think back to earlier days when I was playing and there came a point when we just couldnt beat teams. We were shooting the lanes, doing everything right they just wouldnt come out. It was only when we started taking extra players and watching what was happening.
So two wrongs kinda cancelled each other out, didnt make it right but hey.

What i would say is i didnt cheat in training as it was pointless! Training is to make you better and improve you as a player and team. If you cheat your only fooling yourselves.

However, at an event my will to win was so strong i would wipe and lose every hit i could and over time i became a very good cheat. I never denied it when i was asked if id been shot so id say i was an honest cheat.

I guess what id say is if ya gonna cheat make sure ya good at it as if ya get caught and its a crucial match you have to live with the consequences for the rest of ya paintball life. 3 for 1's can make the most mild mannered of team mates wanna kill ya ;)

Reactions: basktm