The Home Of European Paintball

Breaking News ???

Steve Hancock

Free man!
Aug 7, 2003
Birmingham (UK)
students.bugs.bham.ac.uk
Originally posted by duffistuta
...Pure Promotions promoting XBall events...
Might we not still get that (Or something similar) despite the failure of reunification?

Aren't the NPPL going to be talking about a format change next week? Or is it just minor tweaks on the cards, rather than a conversion to a match format?

Originally posted by Camille - NPPL
A special note regarding the Super 7 game format:
Different format options were discussed by the captains at last weekend’s NPPL Annual Meeting. It is important to note that all format changes will be explored before anything is confirmed. In addition, Pure Promotions and the NPPL will be discussing such proposed format changes with ESPN. A meeting will be held next week with the NPPL Format Committee (made up of volunteer captains) to discuss these options. The Professional team captains will also be consulted before any decisions are made regarding a change to the current format.

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Originally posted by Robbo
quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
That is exactly what I am saying. I think that Pure Promotions promoting XBall events would be the dream reunification ticket. There are strong elements in both camps and good people in both camps - combine their skills and ideas and the sky's the limit.

Losing PP's promo and marketing skills would be a huge backward step IMO.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
No arguments from me on that point but I wish it was that simple :rolleyes:

And if you think about it, that was exactly what was on the table if the reunification talks had been a success....it's not as if it wasn't possible, it just proved to be unachievable.
Hmmmmmmm........
That ship has sailed, boys. We are discussing the UPBF in this here thread.:rolleyes: :)

Although, while we're drifting a bit let me ask this question: Which league is it that has altered its game in an attempt to be TV-friendly? It occurs to me and I ask because I seem to recall regular peals of alarm over the prospect of Xball turning into American Gladiators a while ago. You gotta admit it has a dash of irony.

Hancock--I blame you for starting me thinking about the above. I suspect what the NPPL means is they haven't yet decided how to tweak 7-man again (if at all) and await word from IMG or ESPN or the rest of the alphabet for their views.

D

duffistuta

Originally posted by Baca Loco
That ship has sailed, boys. We are discussing the UPBF in this here thread.:rolleyes: :)

You asked, I answered, so the diversion is your fault Captain Chaos.

And it may have sailed, but it might be back in port in under 12 months time.

Nick Brockdorff

Jul 9, 2001
www.uglyducklings.dk
Which league is it that has altered its game in an attempt to be TV-friendly? It occurs to me and I ask because I seem to recall regular peals of alarm over the prospect of Xball turning into American Gladiators a while ago.
Yeah - instead they made what is probably the most boring tv or video production of paintball in the history of the sport :rolleyes:

Duffy has a point - PP has so far been WAY better than PSP at promotions..... be that online, print, outdoor or anywhere else.

PSP has gotten better, as have the MS, but they are really just copying what PP has done.... that doesn't make them good at it - it just makes them good at realising when something should be copied, because it works.

So - when the NPPL disappears - who are they going to copy? ;)

PSP/MS = Good at the technicalities of the sport - i.e. game format, safety, technological issues, etc.

NPPL = Good at promoting the sport

Combined they WOULD be stronger.... but when the principals of the organisations cannot come to terms, it's a moot point :mad:

Nick

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
You asked, I answered, so the diversion is your fault Captain Chaos.

And it may have sailed, but it might be back in port in under 12 months time.
You, O mighty Duffinator, started the digression in a cherry-picked response to Robo last page. So nah-nah-na-nah-nah!:D
And this picking and choosing what to answer while ignoring the harder parts looks suspiciously like Missy. You're not having gender identity issues are you?

True, but the closer the other shore gets the less appeal turning around and going back has.

D

duffistuta

Originally posted by Baca Loco
You, O mighty Duffinator, started the digression in a cherry-picked response to Robo last page. So nah-nah-na-nah-nah!:D
And this picking and choosing what to answer while ignoring the harder parts looks suspiciously like Missy. You're not having gender identity issues are you?

True, but the closer the other shore gets the less appeal turning around and going back has.
Sorry, which part did I avoid answering - the TV bit I guess? My answer would be that XBall was created with TV in mind, 7-Man wasn't, so it is no surprise it's been tinkered with, and will be tinkered with again no doubt. I imagine if a network grabs XBall it too will be tweaked to the network's desires.

As you know only too well, the furore, such as it was, had nothing to do with tweaks and everything to do with the rumour that the 'sport' of Paintball (Yes, I know, but let's leave that can of worms for now:p) was going to be sold down the river to become a WWF style celeb event.

Tweaking formats is not the same thing, as you well know you little tinker.

SteveD

Getting Up Again
I personally believe that the UPBF move was a direct response to the fact that PP/NPPL is working with IMG.

I do not see this as a 'what will NPPL counter with now' - UPBF was the counter move to IMG coming on board and only goes a small way towards re-balancing the equation.

If IMG likes what they see, they are fully capable of establishing AND funding a world-wide organization overnite.

What bothers me about the whole UPBF thing is the seeming lack of inclusivity on the part of the creators. Of course, I don't know if NPPL was told it was going to happen and refused to participate, which would change the equation, but this smacks of the 'same old thing'; put together an acronym, get a few cronies to join up and call it world-wide and then tell everyone if they ain't on board they're going to be left behind.

There are far more leagues in the US than those already with UPBF: how many nof them were brought to the table BEFORE this thing was put together, so that they could have meaningful input and not be faced with either doing things the way someone else wants or 'being left behind'.

In the end, it will not work, simply because there is NO unanimity.

If people wanted to create a truly representative international organization, it would be a very simple blanket org that covers EVERYTHING already existent at the time of formation and THEN works within itself to harmonize everything; it doesn't impose a set of standards and then move forward.

Power play. What's worse - TRANSPARENT power play.

Baca Loco

Ex-Fun Police
Originally posted by SteveD
1--I personally believe that the UPBF move was a direct response to the fact that PP/NPPL is working with IMG.

2--I do not see this as a 'what will NPPL counter with now' - UPBF was the counter move to IMG coming on board and only goes a small way towards re-balancing the equation.

3--If IMG likes what they see, they are fully capable of establishing AND funding a world-wide organization overnite.

4--What bothers me about the whole UPBF thing is the seeming lack of inclusivity on the part of the creators. Of course, I don't know if NPPL was told it was going to happen and refused to participate, which would change the equation, but this smacks of the 'same old thing'; put together an acronym, get a few cronies to join up and call it world-wide and then tell everyone if they ain't on board they're going to be left behind.

There are far more leagues in the US than those already with UPBF: how many nof them were brought to the table BEFORE this thing was put together, so that they could have meaningful input and not be faced with either doing things the way someone else wants or 'being left behind'.

In the end, it will not work, simply because there is NO unanimity.

5--If people wanted to create a truly representative international organization, it would be a very simple blanket org that covers EVERYTHING already existent at the time of formation and THEN works within itself to harmonize everything; it doesn't impose a set of standards and then move forward.

Power play. What's worse - TRANSPARENT power play.
1--word is the impetus for this idea came out of the MS. If so, while it might serve the purpose you suggest I think that mitigates the notion that was the primary purpose.
2--You might not but you'd be in a substantial minority.
3--And that would be a good thing?
4--It's both fair and prudent (in my estimation) to be cautious but your pronouncements on what the UPBF is or isn't based on (apparently) no info but the PR look like nothing more than an expression of bias.
5--or they could announce the intent to do so in a general way and expect everyone interested to join and then work together to harmonize everything.

How is it a power play if, in your already stated opinion, it is an attempt to regain balance? If it's purpose is equilibrium isn't that a good thing--at least for those who believe in competition being good for everyone? Doesn't "power play" imply an effort to gain advantage? And if so couldn't the deal with IMG, by your own view, be considered a "power play"? I don't see how you can have it one way and not the other.

Imagine the UPBF is completely on the up and up and is intended to do precisely what it claims. Wouldn't it behoove the NPPL to be a part of it?
Now imagine it's a transparent power play yet other leagues and industry are getting involved. Doesn't it still behoove the NPPL to be on the inside as a practical matter?
Either way they have motive for being involved.

What it all boils down to is just what the UPBF is gonna be because the only thing that's clear is that the details and processes aren't yet established and it may very well prove to be that the more peeps that get involved now the more likely the UPBF will become what many want it to be. It's an interesting dilemma, isn't it?

Wadidiz

EnHaNcE tHa TrAnCe
Jul 9, 2002
Stockholm, EU
Visit site
Originally posted by SteveD
I personally believe that the UPBF move was a direct response to the fact that PP/NPPL is working with IMG.

I do not see this as a 'what will NPPL counter with now' - UPBF was the counter move to IMG coming on board...
I have tremendous respect for you but I must say that you are simply way off the mark here. I know for a fact that this vision was being pursued way before the IMG deal hit the light of day and by someone not directly affiliated with PSP. Unless the persons involved had access to Mama Lambini's crystal ball or had hacked into certain people's computers. And also as Baca says, there's nothing that says UPBF isn't open to all comers. Most likely would be welcomed with open arms.

4fuxake

Feb 20, 2003
Visit site
why did this end up U PB F when everyone in the world uses Paintball as a single word rather than paint ball? UKPSF, NPPL, PGI, PSP to name but a few?