The Home Of European Paintball

buying from the states

Status
Not open for further replies.

chrizwheatley

Northern Baller
Sep 23, 2007
Near Newcastle
I didnt get come down hard pal, fact is what i said was true to a certain extent, however like someone said before its a lottery which is totally true, coming from somone who has experiance of hit by taxes and gutted then i belive it to be right. What people said about new kit thats wanted now and not avilable in uk retailers is i belive true, import them.

The first marker i bought (for £35 of somone who lives close to me) payed about £150 with shipping and tax and used it twice, the marker was as new. As for customs charges i dont really want to go into why i have be hit by them.

In my mind the best advice anyone can give is from experiance and this is what i done, yes its correct that you can get some great deals etc and i would never dowt it, but what if the guy as a new paintballer (he has a post count of 4 @ present) got whacked with charges? Well personally if it was me and i done what you guys recomend then got hit with it i would be gutted, totally gutted and i would think these guys from this forum know jack sh!t and are ar5eholes, truth is this is probs the best forum for info and help on anything paintball related in the uk (tell me if you were in the same boat and this happend to you, people say yeh buy a gat from the states and then get whacked with taxes or when it turned up after a few weeks and was damaged or had a fault you wouldnt feel some kind of anomisity? Or if the product you bought was in some way faulty or screwed up and couldnt get it fixed without a huge charge).

The lad asked about hoppers and gats, ok yeh a hopper you probs would get away with but as for a gat nope (in my mind anyways). There is some peopele that can fix anything just about, maybe its just a o-ring or maybe its just plain stupidity or n00bish.

What some of you are saying is take a gamble and if you get away with it then great, but if you dont well fact is this lad wont cone on this forum again other then to say i took the gamble and i got screwed with import dutys.

Would i import from the states... yes i would but not for a marker (this being the lads first question without the politics). On a exported 'whateve'r you have to put a price and product on the package so if the seller said paintball gun or paintball product then chances are customs will check it especially with gun being a word on the package. If say the seller wrote ion (for expample) and $10 for the cost and the prodict went astray then the lad may get about £4 comensation from the company posting the product unless the seller was crazy and underwrote the cost.

I know loads of people that has been hit with the customs lark (and like i said dont want goto into why i HATE customs) but thats a diffrent story.

The lads origianl question was about gats and hoppers, ok yeh import a hopper you probs will get away with it (not my recomendation as if its faulty your screwed) but as for gats, well if anything says 'gun' on it it will more then likely be opened just like if a parcell said tabacco!

Then there is the question of uk retailers. Personally i think they shud be supported as this is what will bring paintball forward over here. We buy say for example 'beef' from a undiscolsed location, yeh it tastes niice and is cheaper but good old aberdeen angus thats cost a bit more is f*CKING LOVELY.

Shud i change my comments to... buy anything paintball related other then markers from the states?

Well thats the lads personal opion but for the sake of a couple of quid then no supposrt uk paintball dealers from the uk that push the sport forward and make it possible for us to play.

You guys (the arguing bunch) make it sound like yeh take the gmble and get away wth it 9/10times' but when / if a new player has taxes thrown on them they will more then likely lose faith or intrest.

Sorry if i offended anyone i dodnt want to come to logger head with people, maybe i mis worded thingsin my first responce post but was to simplfy things.

This may make it easyier to swallow.....

If you want to run the risk of import tax then buy from the overseas (usa isnt cheaper anyways japan and korea is cheaper check ebay) but if you get hit with import tax and extreamly slow delivery with no garantee then please find nobody on this site responsible or liable for goverment legislation and take up your tax concers with imports with your local mp who will laff or take it up with central goverment.

Hope you guys didnt become to irate, i typed what i thought from the start and what i said wasnt scaremonger tacktics and in no way do i own or recommend a shop which is paintball related.

MJ

IM AGG...my mom says
Oct 24, 2007
Tamworth
whatever you want multiply it by 17.5% that is what yo will pay because VAT is a Fcukin british tax all items brought in from abroad automatically get this added on, find out how much it is going to cost you for shipping the item and then do your calculations. you only get stung with import tax and duty very rare and thats if the parcel is over £250 i am pretty sure. all you will pay is VAT, have a look around, if it is cheaper then do it, i have and i have benefited even paying the extra...just use a reputable site

try www.zephyrpaintball.com lol and this isnt an advertisement rofl

spangley_special

Free Agent
Sep 26, 2006
Bristol
www.iamjackfranklin.co.uk
here is my opinion, on the matter as i see it (although i have only read a couple of posts, cos i'm lazy :p)

If you are new to paintball as i would suspect as this is posted in the newbies section then i would not suggest importing your own gear.

Buying direct may save a few more quid but realistically if you are just starting out, the support the uk deallers will be willing to give will far out way any moneitry saving you may make.

once you are into the sport and know exactly what you are doing then on occasion it may be neccerssary to import if you are after something kinda obscure.

mikey601

F orum Battle Organiser
Nov 23, 2005
South Wales/Cali
www.myspace.com
I didnt get come down hard pal, fact is what i said was true to a certain extent, however like someone said before its a lottery which is totally true, coming from somone who has experiance of hit by taxes and gutted then i belive it to be right. What people said about new kit thats wanted now and not avilable in uk retailers is i belive true, import them.

The first marker i bought (for £35 of somone who lives close to me) payed about £150 with shipping and tax and used it twice, the marker was as new. As for customs charges i dont really want to go into why i have be hit by them.

In my mind the best advice anyone can give is from experiance and this is what i done, yes its correct that you can get some great deals etc and i would never dowt it, but what if the guy as a new paintballer (he has a post count of 4 @ present) got whacked with charges? Well personally if it was me and i done what you guys recomend then got hit with it i would be gutted, totally gutted and i would think these guys from this forum know jack sh!t and are ar5eholes, truth is this is probs the best forum for info and help on anything paintball related in the uk (tell me if you were in the same boat and this happend to you, people say yeh buy a gat from the states and then get whacked with taxes or when it turned up after a few weeks and was damaged or had a fault you wouldnt feel some kind of anomisity? Or if the product you bought was in some way faulty or screwed up and couldnt get it fixed without a huge charge).

The lad asked about hoppers and gats, ok yeh a hopper you probs would get away with but as for a gat nope (in my mind anyways). There is some peopele that can fix anything just about, maybe its just a o-ring or maybe its just plain stupidity or n00bish.

What some of you are saying is take a gamble and if you get away with it then great, but if you dont well fact is this lad wont cone on this forum again other then to say i took the gamble and i got screwed with import dutys.

Would i import from the states... yes i would but not for a marker (this being the lads first question without the politics). On a exported 'whateve'r you have to put a price and product on the package so if the seller said paintball gun or paintball product then chances are customs will check it especially with gun being a word on the package. If say the seller wrote ion (for expample) and $10 for the cost and the prodict went astray then the lad may get about £4 comensation from the company posting the product unless the seller was crazy and underwrote the cost.

I know loads of people that has been hit with the customs lark (and like i said dont want goto into why i HATE customs) but thats a diffrent story.

The lads origianl question was about gats and hoppers, ok yeh import a hopper you probs will get away with it (not my recomendation as if its faulty your screwed) but as for gats, well if anything says 'gun' on it it will more then likely be opened just like if a parcell said tabacco!

Then there is the question of uk retailers. Personally i think they shud be supported as this is what will bring paintball forward over here. We buy say for example 'beef' from a undiscolsed location, yeh it tastes niice and is cheaper but good old aberdeen angus thats cost a bit more is f*CKING LOVELY.

Shud i change my comments to... buy anything paintball related other then markers from the states?

Well thats the lads personal opion but for the sake of a couple of quid then no supposrt uk paintball dealers from the uk that push the sport forward and make it possible for us to play.

You guys (the arguing bunch) make it sound like yeh take the gmble and get away wth it 9/10times' but when / if a new player has taxes thrown on them they will more then likely lose faith or intrest.

Sorry if i offended anyone i dodnt want to come to logger head with people, maybe i mis worded thingsin my first responce post but was to simplfy things.

This may make it easyier to swallow.....

If you want to run the risk of import tax then buy from the overseas (usa isnt cheaper anyways japan and korea is cheaper check ebay) but if you get hit with import tax and extreamly slow delivery with no garantee then please find nobody on this site responsible or liable for goverment legislation and take up your tax concers with imports with your local mp who will laff or take it up with central goverment.

Hope you guys didnt become to irate, i typed what i thought from the start and what i said wasnt scaremonger tacktics and in no way do i own or recommend a shop which is paintball related.

Even after that lengthy sh!te post you still don't get it. Importing goods from the US doesn't have to be a risk.

Just stop wasting your time in this thread and go take up topchefs advice.

blackplasma

Jul 4, 2005
Telford
thats as far as i got :D
lol me too!:rolleyes:
i agree with the general advice given,
for obscure, rare or new things you cant find over here, go US
if you can get it local, even if it is a touch more pricey, go local and support the uk scene,
if you can save loads of money by importing, shop around the uk, there is probably someone selling it cheaper than you found it already.

Exile

The Tao of Pooh
Jun 20, 2006
North London
As the famous saying goes:

"It is better to keep one's mouth shut and appear an idiot, rather than speak and confirm it."

Status
Not open for further replies.