Welcome To P8ntballer.com
The Home Of European Paintball

Calling A Player Out

Connor Nourse

The Viking
Apr 16, 2014
so today while i was reffing, i cam across a guy that was shot.. so i called him out as you do! next thing i know he starts arguing saying that it was last game (it was on his lens), so as a ref the only thing you can do is call what you say, but then this guy decides he was having none of it, so he starts mouthing off to me and obviously you gotta keep the customer happy, (bearing in mind i'm still 15 and i couldnt of physically done anything), so i was just wondering what would be the best way to stop this from happening again and if people have been in the same situation and what did they do?

Tom

Tom
Nov 27, 2006
Salisbury
www.TaskForceDelta.co.uk
A referee at a tournament etc:
Your word is final, no argument (the captain can raise a problem with the ultimate - but the decision still stands)
It is the players responsibility to make sure they are clean - if it was from a previous game that's their problem - and that whole team needs to learn to check each other

But I suspect you are at a punter game, especially referring to keeping the customer happy.

A Marshall is there to observe and keep things safe, rules are down the list of responsibilities , customer satisfaction is also high on the list of a punter Marshall
So point it out, he claims it is old, point out that he ought to have cleaned it (and if you have any belief in him remind the other Marshall's to have a glancing look over players before games - a goggle hit is obvious to the observer)
It's your call at the time -
Let him off and remind him to clean,
sorry mate, I just see the hit and the paints still thick, if it had drilled more and thinned out then I could accept it
Or a 'customer compromise' - if it's a respawning game (also which could have players not cleaning off) tell him to go just as far as that tree over there instead of to the normal spawn point

However if things kick off (and some people will kick off purely because you say they have a hit) then it cannot be acceptable
It does not matter if you are 15 or 50 as you should not be doing anything physically anyway (that only comes into you or another player /Marshall being assaulted)
The only thing with you being is the less 'life experience' and confidence you may have, so can feel out if control of the situation, be in fear of some people or not balancing assertion and aggression. You require assertion, with that it does not matter how old or how big you are.

If he's kicking off then there are 3 choices - he stops and listens, he sits in the safe zone to calm down (for the rest of the game or missing a game) or he goes home (the final option includes the co-operation of the manager - which should exist, but will depend on circumstances and for most probably be a choose of the last 2 depending on what happened and the player by the time you all get back to the safe zone)
He may be a paying customer but he has not paid for the right to abuse staff

Big_jim

Team PUPS/PBM
Feb 10, 2010
Dude it's a rental day. If they cheat you sell more paint. Let them cheat. Only get involved if there is a disagreement between players on the field. As above. You are there for safety primarily.

Canon Fodder

Go to your brother, kill him with your gun.
Oct 28, 2008
Lancaster
Trouble is its sets a dangerous precedent if you give an instruction to a renter and they choose to ignore it, sure its only a possible playing on this time but what about if he then decides to lift his mask?